Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > CALIFORNIA > CDCR - What You Need to Know > California Prison Visitation - General Q&A
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

California Prison Visitation - General Q&A This forum is for general, nonspecific questions & discussions related to visitation in California facilities. If you have a question about or want to discuss visitation in a specific facility, please visit that facility's subforum in the California forum.

Old 03-06-2016, 08:08 AM

Default Family Visits After Being Married in Prison?

Can you get conjugal visits having been married while in orison?
Sponsored Links
Old 03-06-2016, 09:32 PM

Default Conjugal Visits??? Not likely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akmichael View Post
Most states do not allow conjugal visits. You can look it up on the DOC site for your loved one's prison and find out. If you can't find it...send an email or call the chaplain.
Al
Old 03-07-2016, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Yes but being married is not the only requirement. He cannot be a lifer, have a domestic violence record or be closed custody. There are a few more but those are the 3 biggies. He can reach out to his counselor and check if he qualifies, or will qualify in the future.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to trueblue310 For This Useful Post:
HisSoul (04-21-2016), miamac (03-07-2016)
Old 03-07-2016, 12:19 PM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 13,841 Times in 5,328 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueblue310 View Post
Yes but being married is not the only requirement. He cannot be a lifer, have a domestic violence record or be closed custody. There are a few more but those are the 3 biggies. He can reach out to his counselor and check if he qualifies, or will qualify in the future.
And even after that, ask again. Tell him to be clear about his charges with his counselor when he asks. Trust me.
Old 03-07-2016, 12:28 PM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 13,841 Times in 5,328 Posts

I viewed your other posts to see what facility you might be looking at. If he's in county, you'll get no information at this point. You can get married, but the only approval for Family Visits that matters is the one you'll get from him home prison.

And as for this:
Quote:
Also, I was married to my husband before. Can we just used our original marriage certificate for conjugal visits? I mean really.. how hard are they going to look into this?
Very hard. They not only look at your current legal marriage status but all of his background-- meaning if he's in for a drug charge now (for example) but he has a DV on his record, they can use that as a reason for denial. You'll need to be an approved visitor with CDCR and if you've got anything in your history that prevents you from visiting, that will cause a hiccup, too. So please be sure you want to legally marry him because Family Visits are not promised.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
HisSoul (04-21-2016), sidewalker (03-08-2016)
Old 03-08-2016, 07:08 PM

yeh, sure I want to marry him. we were married for 15 years, and divorced for less than two. Ops! Then we reconciled. Now he's got another term! We want to try to get married at his sentencing, and per the LASD website, it says inmates are encouraged to marry by submitting a petition to the court under the jurisdiction of his pending case. But, that is all the info I can find. His attorney won't help us because he's not a family atty.... omg. Anyway, if you can do that, I haven't been able to find ANY info on what needs to be included in the petition. Or, the process or any prerequisites. The process for getting married at court is pretty simple it seems, just show up and the clerk of the court can do anything the county clerk/registrar can do from what I hear. (Norwalk, CA) So is it just a matter of asking - will you marry us (period). Or, should the petition include the application for a marriage license, and all the ingredients needed for that? I figure I'll just go down to the clerks office and ask, but want to see if anyone had experience here. Since he will be there physically there will be no need for a inability to attend document, right? And the clerk of the court can handle everything? Or, do I need to involve the registrars office too?

He's not a lifer nor domestic violence. But, just curious too, if the court denies our request, is it better to marry in LA County or wait until he gets to prison, with the end goal being conjugal visits. California we have them. To be honest, I just assume wait because at least in prison you can hold hands, and in county it would be through a piece of glass, but if that decreases the chance to getting the conjugal visits then i'll do it. We plan to renew our vows when he gets home anyway.

Any ideas? Thanks so much for all your help!

Last edited by akmichael; 03-08-2016 at 07:12 PM..
Old 03-08-2016, 09:33 PM

Thanked 1,711 Times in 905 Posts

As far as county marriage or state it doesn't matter as far as family visits. I've heard both ways on which is easier so it depends I guess on which county and which state prison. Some prisons are easier than others. But if it doesn't get done in time for his move to state it won't be an extra problem.
The Following User Says Thank You to AnarchyHeart For This Useful Post:
akmichael (03-08-2016)
Old 04-21-2016, 10:32 AM

Thanked 1,448 Times in 902 Posts

Quote:
yeh, sure I want to marry him. we were married for 15 years, and divorced for less than two. Ops! Then we reconciled. Now he's got another term! We want to try to get married at his sentencing, and per the LASD website, it says inmates are encouraged to marry by submitting a petition to the court under the jurisdiction of his pending case. But, that is all the info I can find. His attorney won't help us because he's not a family atty.... omg. Anyway, if you can do that, I haven't been able to find ANY info on what needs to be included in the petition. Or, the process or any prerequisites. The process for getting married at court is pretty simple it seems, just show up and the clerk of the court can do anything the county clerk/registrar can do from what I hear. (Norwalk, CA) So is it just a matter of asking - will you marry us (period). Or, should the petition include the application for a marriage license, and all the ingredients needed for that? I figure I'll just go down to the clerks office and ask, but want to see if anyone had experience here. Since he will be there physically there will be no need for a inability to attend document, right? And the clerk of the court can handle everything? Or, do I need to involve the registrars office too?

He's not a lifer nor domestic violence. But, just curious too, if the court denies our request, is it better to marry in LA County or wait until he gets to prison, with the end goal being conjugal visits. California we have them. To be honest, I just assume wait because at least in prison you can hold hands, and in county it would be through a piece of glass, but if that decreases the chance to getting the conjugal visits then i'll do it. We plan to renew our vows when he gets home anyway.

Hi, you probably have gotten the answers that you need, but I was thinking you can call the marriage coordinator at the jail he's at.. They have lots of useful information on how to get married at his sentencing. If you both decide to wait until he gets to prison, yes you can hold hands, but the process is somewhat simpler. You fiance would contact the marriage coordinator, get the package, send it to you. You'll fill out your part, send it back with the required fees, and wait for a date. FV come after he talks to his counselor. You'll have to send in your original marriage license to his counselor, and then his file is reviewed, and then sent higher up for more reviewing. If everything goes well, either your LO will get approval from his counselor and he'll let you know, or you can call his counselor yourself, to see if the FV have been approved.. Oh and yes, his counselor should send your marriage license back to you.. I hope this helps.
Old 04-21-2016, 08:06 PM

Red face inmate marriages at sentencing

Thank you. Yeh, from what we found out that the only court that still does inmate marriages at sentencing is CCB and LAX here in Los Angeles. Other Courts have stopped approving the petitions. So we wait. Looks like to marry at county can cost $600 and you are separated by glass! Better wait. We've got nothing but time anyway, right guys?!
Old 04-25-2016, 09:07 AM

Quote:

I have no experience in getting married while in county so I can't answer those questions. But I did get married while he was already sentenced and incarcerated in state prison and I am going to my 6th Family Visit next week. It doesn't really matter where you are married when it comes to eligibility/ease of approval when it comes to family visits (California does not refer to over night visits as 'conjugals' anymore. They are meant to reunite families and build family support.. not just have sex.)
The Following User Says Thank You to trueblue310 For This Useful Post:
HisSoul (04-26-2016)