Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FLORIDA > Florida Parole, Probation & Release
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Florida Parole, Probation & Release All information & questions relating to parole, probation or release in Florida should be posted here.

Old 05-17-2018, 08:53 PM

Default Parole interview (Florida): Hire Parole Attorney?

So my brother's coming up for a Parole interview in September, with the hearing within 90 days of that.

In my research, I've found out that the the Commission rarely grants Parole. Instead, a subsequent interview will be established and that interview may be within 2-7 years.

My question is, will hiring an attorney be of any benefit or will it just be a waste of time?
Sponsored Links
Old 05-18-2018, 04:12 AM
Off-Paper Since 2009
Donation Award 

Thanked 2,590 Times in 1,028 Posts

A lot of it depends on the severity of the crime, whether the offender took his case to trial or not (the parole board looks more favorably on those who "voluntarily" plead guilty and accept some modicum of responsibility for their crime, versus fighting it at trial and claiming innocence the whole time).

But it's not out of the question to make parole the very first time up, at earliest eligibility. I did, but mine was a victimless crime (weapons offense) so they tend to approve more often on those than crimes with victims, in many cases. Of course, some states are better than others as well...

But yeah, if it was a rather violent crime or any victim(s) are going to be showing up at the hearing and testifying, you can probably expect at least a 3-year flop (put off) until the next hearing date. But then again, if he brings a lot of programming and has a really good parole plan... you never know.

As far as hiring an attorney, I've never seen much value, although some swear by them. It just seems like the Board pretty much goes by what's on the record regardless, so I'm not sure if they really make much of a difference, unless it's a really complicated case or something.
The Following User Says Thank You to Nickel Timer For This Useful Post:
Exxtreme (05-20-2018)
Old 05-18-2018, 05:48 AM

Thanked 5,286 Times in 2,782 Posts

Did Florida reinstate parole????
The Following User Says Thank You to xolady For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (05-18-2018)
Old 05-18-2018, 06:55 AM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 18,973 Times in 11,177 Posts

It may be like federal parole, there is a cutoff date so new prisoners (except for those who were convicted in Washington DC, etc.) are not eligible for parole, but some folks still qualify. My guess anyway.
Old 05-20-2018, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickel Timer View Post
A lot of it depends on the severity of the crime, whether the offender took his case to trial or not (the parole board looks more favorably on those who "voluntarily" plead guilty and accept some modicum of responsibility for their crime, versus fighting it at trial and claiming innocence the whole time).

But it's not out of the question to make parole the very first time up, at earliest eligibility. I did, but mine was a victimless crime (weapons offense) so they tend to approve more often on those than crimes with victims, in many cases. Of course, some states are better than others as well...

But yeah, if it was a rather violent crime or any victim(s) are going to be showing up at the hearing and testifying, you can probably expect at least a 3-year flop (put off) until the next hearing date. But then again, if he brings a lot of programming and has a really good parole plan... you never know.

As far as hiring an attorney, I've never seen much value, although some swear by them. It just seems like the Board pretty much goes by what's on the record regardless, so I'm not sure if they really make much of a difference, unless it's a really complicated case or something.
Thanks for your input, Nickel Timer.

He was convicted for Attempted Felony Murder on a LEO.

Fortunately, there were no death(s) involved in his case and that may be a plus for him. Also, he's been incarcerated for 26 yrs, with a few DR's and many school and program certificates, so we are hoping the commission sees that as a benefit as well.

We are still debating on whether or not to hire a lawyer.
Old 05-20-2018, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xolady View Post
Did Florida reinstate parole????
Taken from the DOC site:

Parole in Florida was eliminated for non-capital felonies committed on or after July 1, 1984. Capital felonies resulting in a life sentence (instead of the death penalty) remained eligible for parole after serving a mandatory 25-year term. Legislative action taken May 24, 1994, and October 1, 1995, effectively eliminated parole for all capital offenses as well. Of the 100,129 inmates in Florida prisons on January 31, 2014, slightly more than 4,000 of them remain parole eligible. Only 27 of the 35,670 inmates released from Florida prisons from January 1, 2013 – January 31, 2014 were paroled. Another 10 of them had their parole reinstated.
The Following User Says Thank You to Exxtreme For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (05-21-2018)
Old 05-21-2018, 04:44 AM

Thanked 5,286 Times in 2,782 Posts

Thank you. I don't know if a parole attorney would even exist in Florida as there very few still incarcerated in Florida who will ever get parole. But from I've seen most people who use them in other states seem get same treatment that those with out get.
The Following User Says Thank You to xolady For This Useful Post:
Nickel Timer (05-21-2018)
Old 05-21-2018, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xolady View Post
Thank you. I don't know if a parole attorney would even exist in Florida as there very few still incarcerated in Florida who will ever get parole. But from I've seen most people who use them in other states seem get same treatment that those with out get.
Yes, there's a few.
Funny story: I called one a couple of weeks ago and got an answering machine saying he would not be attending any cases at the moment, due to him being in jail! It then went on explaining what had happened. I just lol.