Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > BREAK TIME > PTO Lounge
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

PTO Lounge Come in... put your feet up and relax... talk about anything non-prison related! Hobbies, Books, Technical and Do it Yourself, Travel and more.

Old 05-17-2018, 02:18 PM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 17,094 Times in 6,306 Posts
Default Trump donates quarterly salary to VA caregiver program

Trump donates quarterly salary to Department of Veterans Affairs

"The president’s gift underscores his promise to do all he can for vets, which includes supporting those who care for veterans. Not just those of us at VA, but the husbands, the wives, the families and the community caregivers who are out there day in and day out," Wilkie said."

In 2016, there were an estimated 18,496,937 veterans in the US.
Mental health is part of the care giving program through the VA.

Some stats:
-Operations Iraqi Freedom (OIF) and Enduring Freedom (OEF): About 11-20 out of every 100 Veterans (or between 11-20%) who served in OIF or OEF have PTSD in a given year.
-Gulf War (Desert Storm): About 12 out of every 100 Gulf War Veterans (or 12%) have PTSD in a given year.
-Vietnam War: About 15 out of every 100 Vietnam Veterans (or 15%) were currently diagnosed with PTSD at the time of the most recent study in the late 1980s, the National Vietnam Veterans Readjustment Study (NVVRS). It is estimated that about 30 out of every 100 (or 30%) of Vietnam Veterans have had PTSD in their lifetime.

Among Veterans who use VA health care, about:
-23 out of 100 women (or 23%) reported sexual assault when in the military.
-55 out of 100 women (or 55%) and 38 out of 100 men (or 38%) have experienced sexual harassment when in the military.

In light of these stats, his taxpayer-funded donation of $100k hardly seems philanthropic. How much lower can we set the bar for "good works"?

"Trump has previously donated his quarterly salaries to the Transportation Department, the Health and Human Services Department for the opioid epidemic, the National Park Service and the Education Department."

Hmm.
Health and Human Services for drug addiction-- Trump plan cut $7billion in funding for children's healthcare.
National Park Service-- Fees raised to cover nearly $12million in maintenance backlog.
Education Department-- Trump calls for $3.6billion in funding cuts and increase in school-choice initiatives.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-17-2018, 06:08 PM
Super Moderator

PTO Super Moderator Pumpkin Hunt Participant 2014 Easter Egg Hunt 2013 - Participant 

Donation Award 

Thanked 29,242 Times in 10,586 Posts

I wish we had a 'slumpy' sort of font that I could write "whoopee' in, a roll-eyes font.
miamac (05-17-2018), xolady (05-19-2018)
Old 05-17-2018, 07:21 PM

Thanked 2,471 Times in 869 Posts

I think he could donate millions and someone would have something negative to say. He could have donated nothing.

“Absorb what is useful, Discard what is not, Add what is uniquely your own”
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AndyS For This Useful Post:
CenTexLyn (05-17-2018), Ms Sunny (05-17-2018), safran (05-17-2018)
Old 05-17-2018, 08:39 PM
attorney

Thanked 20,832 Times in 7,361 Posts

He could take a day off of playing golf and as a result, donate the savings to veterans. Sorry, but the man is fleecing America.

One way to also view it is we are paying more than $400k a year to him to play golf and Tweet.

Btw, the philanthropic efforts of trump could be appreciated IF we knew what he made in a year. If $100k represents 25% of his actual income, then he's managing to outperform a lot of wealthy people. But if $100k represents less than 1% of his actual income, then screw him.

Then again, he pays nothing for housing, food, transportation, communications, tv, security, laundry, cleaning, and there's a clothing allowance. we do. We pay the whole thing, including the greens fees for the secret service members who have to play along with him.

Total publicity stunt. Too bad he is costing veterans programs.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to yourself For This Useful Post:
miamac (05-17-2018), MizzyMuffling (05-18-2018), nimuay (05-18-2018), sidewalker (05-18-2018), xolady (05-19-2018)
Old 05-17-2018, 09:47 PM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourself View Post
Total publicity stunt.
That's what bothers me. Why did this even need to be publicized? JFK donated his presidential and congressional salary and it wasn't headline news. Trump made a huge deal about not taking a salary during his campaign. Fine. We're aware of his generous gesture. This is pure ego stroke.
The Following User Says Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
MizzyMuffling (05-18-2018)
Old 05-18-2018, 06:31 AM

Thanked 10,625 Times in 5,826 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamac View Post
That's what bothers me. Why did this even need to be publicized? JFK donated his presidential and congressional salary and it wasn't headline news. Trump made a huge deal about not taking a salary during his campaign. Fine. We're aware of his generous gesture. This is pure ego stroke.
It would not matter WHO was in office in this era...you simply cannot compare the reporting of events now with fifty-plus years ago. Back then, you got your national news in a 30-minute program one one of three networks and you got a newspaper. As such, much of what makes the 'news' today was never even a blip on the radar back then...

I guarantee you that Kennedy would NOT have been treated kindly if his presidency was in the current news cycle.
The Following User Says Thank You to CenTexLyn For This Useful Post:
Marseille (05-18-2018)
Old 05-18-2018, 09:40 AM

Thanked 2,776 Times in 899 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CenTexLyn View Post

I guarantee you that Kennedy would NOT have been treated kindly if his presidency was in the current news cycle.
RIGHT???!!! the #metoo movement would not have been kind to Kennedy. There’s some amusing hypocrisy at play when someone vilifies Trump while idolizing Kennedy.
Old 05-18-2018, 01:00 PM
attorney

Thanked 20,832 Times in 7,361 Posts

I'm the one vilifying trump. I'd also vilify Kennedy for a number of reasons, not the least of which would be his treatment of women (something that would have disqualified him in his day, had it gotten out), and because of his nepotism. Further, I find the older generation,s veneration of the Kennedy Camelot mystifying.

if anybody wants to get down to the brass tacks of the financials, cool! Let's look at waste. If anybody wants to get into the societal problems created by a divisive presidency, cool.

But come on! Let's look at this as the publicity stunt it is. What he's "donating" is a drop in the bucket compared to what he's costing tax payers, not to mention the problems he's created for vets with cuts to programming and funding.
The Following User Says Thank You to yourself For This Useful Post:
miamac (05-18-2018)
Old 05-18-2018, 02:23 PM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by CenTexLyn View Post
Absolutely agree. I'm almost positive no sitting president could escape contemporary scathing/sensational media. And that's a whole conversation of its own.

George Washington wanted no pay, Herbert Hoover also donated his earnings. But as yourself mentioned, those names don't seem to hold the same allure as Kennedy. I made that point because I've seen too many historically ignorant comments about Trump being the first to do this.

Last edited by miamac; 05-18-2018 at 02:35 PM..
Old 05-18-2018, 02:26 PM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marseille View Post
There’s some amusing hypocrisy at play when someone vilifies Trump while idolizing Kennedy.
I've not read anything in regard to donating salaries that idolized Kennedy and vilified Trump. In fact, the articles about Kennedy's choice to donate made sure the facts showed the his salary was a pittance compared to the wealth he sat on and he darn well could have afforded to do more. I never mentioned Trump nor Kennedy's misogyny in the original post.

Last edited by miamac; 05-18-2018 at 02:28 PM..
Old 05-18-2018, 06:48 PM
Super Moderator

PTO Super Moderator Pumpkin Hunt Participant 2014 Easter Egg Hunt 2013 - Participant 

Donation Award 

Thanked 29,242 Times in 10,586 Posts

I didn't like Kennedy and I loathe Trump. Neither met good standards for programming or legislation that really benefitted the poor and other-than-white people. And met no standards at all for morals. But at least Kennedy did not vilify other people publicly. He fucked up Viet Nam, and Trump is well on his way to fucking up Iran and maybe North Korea. The lists are endless.