Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > BREAK TIME > The Spiritual Connection
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-08-2006, 05:33 AM
Donation Award 

Default Islamic Connection

Good Morning!

I have created this thread and will stick it in the Spiritual Connection so that PTO's Islamic members have their special place to come and discuss their religious matters. By sticking the thread it will remain at the top of the forum and will not get lost among the other threads.

God Bless,
Ronnie
Sponsored Links
Old 11-14-2006, 08:44 PM
Till death do up part

Salam,
Thank you so much for the placement. We do get lost in the threads.
Old 11-15-2006, 07:08 AM
Closed

Assalamu Alaikum YA'll,

Thanks Ronnie!!!

Hey everyone!!!
Old 11-18-2006, 06:42 PM
---------------
Donation Award 

Thanked 8,489 Times in 3,829 Posts

Assalamu Alaikum!

I'm very pleased to see you've added this sticky for all my Muslim friends and family!

Thank you to all the mods for responding to the request. And all praise to God for His many blessings!
Old 12-04-2006, 09:47 PM
Patiently Waiting
Donation Award 

I'm glad to see that our family practicing the Islamic faith now have their home!

CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Now ya'll betta get some activity in this sticky cuz ya'll were sure fightin' for it. Just kidding! LOL
Old 12-05-2006, 05:33 AM
Donation Award 

Great words optimistic! I hope to see some real movement in here soon.

God Bless.
Ronnie
Old 12-05-2006, 08:47 AM
Closed

I think and know that many of the former islamic community members went over to prisonville and started groups there. However there are still people who seem to have trouble finding this thread. Also I know that a lot of people seem to be confused by prisonville and may be reluctant to go there and or here but we needs som activity ya'll!

Assalamu alaikum
Old 12-18-2006, 05:22 AM
Closed

Is anyone else struggling with issues regarding Islam and how it fits us as Americans?

I have been reading everything I can get my hands on, trying to find the best sources for information in discerning the difference between what is Qur'anic and what is cultural traditions.

I have grown to love both Prof. Amina Wadud and Dr. Asma Barlas (google both and read up on them if you do not know them yet). They have brought up an issue each I am trying to understand and/or digest.

Prof. Wadud said in an interview, she sometimes rejects verses of the Qur'an rathen than become an appologist. (I am unable to link to article because of my new status/posting privileges). And Dr. Barlas broke down the difference between what is Qur'anic and what is hadith and why it is permissible in her views to question hadith and/or reevaluate it in todays standards.

The religion of Islam is beautiful and steeped in tradition. Unfortunately, some of those traditions do not translate to living in todays world. Trying to find the truth and right way is not always easy. Is anyone else dealing with these issues? (I have tried to step lightly so as not to offend, I hope I was not to vague)
Old 12-18-2006, 08:03 AM
Closed

assalamu alaikum wa rahmatullahi wa baraaktuh to you sis,
thanks for bringin up a very good point. i personally do not know these two individuals so if you wouldn't mind maybe you could pm me the information so i can better help to answer you question. in the meantime, i'm sure someone here who'se knowledge can assist you.

assalamu alaikum wa rahmatullahi wa baraaktuh
Old 12-19-2006, 09:03 PM
Closed

Wa Alaikum Salaam Missvee, I will send you a pm with the links.

Here is a quote from Dr. Wadud:

She maintained that as a Muslim with Allah close to her heart, in all honesty she could not continue with the hypocrisy of lying about how she felt about some verses of the Qur’an.

The basis of her talk was "How to be God's agent (khalifa) on Earth; to be a moral agent of the Creator." In this context, she presented four ways of looking at Qu'ranic verses which Muslims find difficulty dealing with. She identified the four methods as: (1) The literal readings of the text, (2) The legalistic arguments that constrain how verses are applied, (3) Reinterpretation from alternative perspectives, and (4) Saying "No to the Qur'an" when one disagrees with it.

Pursuing the last point, she declared that she could not intellectually or spiritually accept some things in the Qur'an, for example some of the hudud punishments like the cutting of hands or the permission to beat one's wife. She made it clear that she was denying neither the religion nor the revelation. "It is the Qur'an," she said, "that gives me the means to say no to the Qur'an."

And here is a quote by Dr. Asma Barlas:

I am of that school of thought which believes that Islamic law is a product of human thinking and that as a product of human thinking it is certainly susceptible to rethinking.

For a believer, the Quran is a divine discourse and the hadith are not. Hadith are the result of human compilation and none of the people who compiled them ever claimed they were infallible and the Quran teaches us a theory of human fallibility. Many people who are using the hadith are unhappy with the egalitarianism of the Quran. Whatever the Quran opens up, the hadith can shut down.
Old 12-20-2006, 09:55 AM
Closed

I see.
Sukran for this. I would love to really read this and see the full story. Very interesting thoughts
Old 12-21-2006, 11:31 AM
Patient Perseverance

Assalam alaikum,

Well it has been a while since i have posted in any islamic thread. It's good to see we now have a home and hopefully can get some good movement so that we are able to stay...

Old 12-23-2006, 12:08 AM

Asalaamu Alaika warahmatullahi wabaraktu! I am excited to about this thread, I want to thank all those who took time to make this possible, alhumdulilahi!!!!

I deviate from docility...
Old 12-23-2006, 10:54 AM
Closed

Walaikum Salaam Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Baraaktuh Sis,
Glad you're excited to be here. This is what he have now. We used to have a actual club but all clubs were sent to prisonville.com so inshallah you'll find this helpful

Ma Salaam
Old 12-26-2006, 09:30 PM

Default Islam in the US

Quote:
Originally Posted by yzz
Is anyone else struggling with issues regarding Islam and how it fits us as Americans?
It is almost impossible to generalize about American Muslims: converts, immigrants, factory workers, doctors; all are making their own contribution to America's future. This complex community is unified by a common faith, underpinned by a countrywide network of a thousand mosques.
Muslims were early arrivals in North America. By the eighteenth century there were many thousands of them, working as slaves on plantations. These early communities, cut off from their heritage and families, inevitably lost their Islamic identity as time went by. Today many Afro-American Muslims play an important role in the Islamic community.

The nineteenth century, however, saw the beginnings of an influx of Arab Muslims, most of whom settled in the major industrial centers where they worshipped in hired rooms. The early twentieth century witnessed the arrival of several hundred thousand Muslims from Eastern Europe: the first Albanian mosque was opened in Maine in 1915; others soon followed, and a group of Polish Muslims opened a mosque in Brooklyn in 1928.
In 1947 the Washington Islamic Center was founded during the term of President Truman, and several nationwide organizations were set up in the fifties. The same period saw the establishment of other communities whose lives were in many ways modeled after Islam. More recently, numerous members of these groups have entered the fold of Muslim orthodoxy. Today there are about five million Muslims in America.
document.write("")
document.write("")

Old 12-29-2006, 02:06 PM
friends are timeless

Im Wanting To Learn About The Islamic Faith. I Have Read A Little Online But Am Very Lost! Some Help Please! Thanks "t"
dr. seuss
Old 12-29-2006, 03:05 PM
Closed

What would you like to know in particular?
There are many sites that have much information on Islam. Was there anything in particular you would like to know about? Some Sites that I've visited/Visit
islamway.com
simplyislam(clothing)
islamicity.com
sunnipath.com or org
al-islam.com
www.aswatalislam.net/
http://www.usc.edu/dept/MSA/ (VERY VERY GOOD SITE)

There's so much more. But I wouldn't mind helping you with what I know
Old 12-29-2006, 09:14 PM
friends are timeless

thank you very much! i think i'll start with some reading!
dr. seuss
Old 01-02-2007, 04:04 AM

Default Hijab

I do wear khimars and abayas almost everyday, however there are random days when I don't. I believe that clothes don't make you who you are and I feel as though being raised in Western civilization, that if you intend to hijab, it's a gradual process.

I just was wondering what were some of (your) views on hijab? And if you wear any forms of hijab (khimars, abayas, burqas, niqaabs, etc)?

"O Prophet! Tell your wives and daughters and the believing women that they should caste their outer garments over their persons (in abroad). That is most convenient, that they should be known and not molested. And Allah is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful." [Qur'an, 33:59].

"And say to the believing women that they should lower their gaze and guard their modesty; that they should not display their beauty and their ornaments except what appear thereof; that they should draw their veils over their bosoms and not display their beauty..." [Qur'an 24:31].

Old 01-02-2007, 08:47 AM
Closed

I too wear hijabs As A new shahadah (since June 06' Alhamdulilah). I didn't have a problem but as you said it was a gradual step. The First tim going out with a plain hijab (not abaya or anything) was soooooooooo Scarry especially living in US in NYC but as I started goin I haven't looked back since. And then my first abaya like outfit (Kaftan) was on my wedding day (June 06') so that was something. and then it's been a gradual thing. I was alhamdulilah fortunate to find some sites to buy clothes from and have jilbabs and abayas now. Unfortunately I can't (well can but can't ) wear them everyday as I would alhamdulilah love. See I work in corporate america, I'm fresh outta college, and am not trying to burn my bridges just yet (maybe in abour 4 years ) so I alternate, in a given 5 day week I'll wear an Jilbab and or abaya 2-3 times, but other times I wear my long corporate jacket, lose pants and shoes. BUT ALWAYS my hijab, I shall not take that off! Ever! inshallah. I find in the west and in Corporate America it's a struggle it was/has been for me since day one but as i'm getting more comfortable and more stronger in my deen i don't pay it any mind but at the same pay it SOOO much mind because it's REAL and ROUGH out there as a Muslim woman. So my views are HIJAB it up. As far as a Niqab, Haven't done that yetbut inshallah when I got to jummah I will have one on as my husband has requested and it makes all sense to especially since he's not out here with me. So That's my take on it. I think it's a gradual step and you can be fashionable and modest with and without the full abaya and jilbab etc... I love Abayas by the way. to me they're dresses that are modestly appealing, and jilbabs are GREAT for us Non Secretarial working women as it shows who we are (muslim women) but doesn't make non muslims uncomfortable as they see and notice that you have on business attire under. I just think its a struggle and with SWT's help and strength we'll survive. He knows our intentions so yes!!
Old 01-02-2007, 09:02 AM

Hello everyone,
Hi Missvee1014 and Jalove. Happy new year to everyone. I'm still interested in learning and getting advise from everyone. Take care! Salam
Old 01-02-2007, 11:38 AM
Patient Perseverance

Hey

Sherry i see that you found us.. Happy New Year to all

Well as far as hijabs go i think it is a gradual process. There is this unspoken respect that i have for muslim women in proper garb. I pray that i can one day wear it with out reservations.

Old 01-02-2007, 11:46 AM
Closed

You will Ja, Just need to push yourself

Sherry- Assalamu alaikum, Glad you found us!
Old 01-03-2007, 12:46 PM

Thank you. Everyone have a blessed week, month year etc.!!!!!!
Old 01-03-2007, 01:41 PM

Prejudice of Atheism

This is an excerpt from God Arises by Sheikh Wahiduddin. This is one of the answers of how the atheistic mind works. Yes, I realize that this might be long but to understand the society in which we live in, it is worth reading. In my view, the author is brilliant.

Prejudice of Atheist

The concept of God and religion will never fit into the narrow frame of their materialistic minds. Yet their dissatisfaction is not really due to any lack of sound reasoning behind religion. No, the actual reason for their disagreeing with us is that their prejudiced minds are not prepared to accept religious reasoning. Sir James at the end of his book, Mysterious Universe correctly remarked: ‘Our modern minds have a sort of bias in favor of materialistic explanation of facts.’
In his book, Witness, Chambers tells us how he was watching his little daughter one day, when he found that he had unconsciously become aware of the shape of her ear. He thought to himself how impossible it was that such delicate design could have come about by chance. They could have been created only by premeditated design. But he pushed this thought out of his mind, because he realized that the next step in logical sequence would have to be: design presupposes God- a thesis he was not ready to accept. With reference to this incident, Thomas David, former Chairman of Department of Chemistry, Stanford: ‘I have known many scientists among my professors and research colleagues who have similar thoughts about observed facts and physics.’

I confess that it is beyond my power to satisfy those scholars whose bias in favor of materialistic reasoning is so strong that they are unable to keep their minds open to self-evident facts. There is a particular reason for the bias, about which George Herbert, an American physicist had this to say:

‘Conviction of the reasonableness of theism and the tenuousness of atheism usually in itself does not cause a man to accept practical theism. There seems to be an almost innate suspicion that the recognition of God will somehow rob one of freedom. To the Scholar, who cherishes intellectual liberty, any thought of abridged freedom is especially dreadful.’

In the same sense, the concept of Prophet hood has been described by Julian Huxley as an ‘intolerable demonstration of superiority’. That is, the acceptance of someone as a Prophet implies his elevation to such a high status that his word becomes the word of God, giving him, in consequence, the right to impose his will on the people, the right to make people accept his word as law. BUT THEN that is what it means to be a Prophet, and when man is the creature and not the creator, he is in the position of being the humble slave of God, and not God, how can this situation be changed or avoided simply on the basis of concepts which are the result of ignorance or wishful thinking?

Cressy Morrison asks, with reason, in his book, Man Does not Stand Alone, ‘How much must man advance before he fully realizes the existence of a Supreme Intelligence, grasps His Goodness that we exist, assumes his full part in destiny and strives to live up to the highest code he is capable of understanding without attempting to analyze God’s motive, or describe His attributes?’

Things are as they are. We cannot change the hard reality: we simply have to acknowledge it, accept it, bow to it. Now, if we are not to adopt an ostrich-like attitude, rather to deny it. By denying the truth, it is man who loses. His denial of the truth in no way alters, harms, or diminishes it. The truth is the truth.