Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > OHIO > Ohio Parole, Probation, Work Release, Halfway Houses & Community Service
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ohio Parole, Probation, Work Release, Halfway Houses & Community Service All information relating to parole, probation, halfway houses, community service and electronic monitoring in Ohio should be posted here.

Old 04-10-2007, 09:56 PM
Billys Mom

Default Post Release Control- good or bad

My son was told yesterday that he would not have Post release control.
It was stated in his court papers that it would be optional, His re-lease date is August 6,07. He is really happy that he wont be on it; I will be so glad to have him home. But i think the prc thing can be a good thing and at the same time a bad thing. My son will have spent 1-year in prison because he was steeling to support a drug habit. He has taken every class in-side he was allowed to deal with drugs. I just feel being on prc would have helped him to continue to stay drug free. He assured me he has had a lot of time to look back and realizes what drugs did to him. Would like to hear from any one with thoughts on prc.
Old 04-11-2007, 06:31 PM

Default Prc

Ohio Buckeye, I agree with you, that there are definitely pros and cons to Post Release Control, and what some people consider the pros other people might consider the cons! It provides some structure on the outside, in that the offender has to report to a PO, be subjected to drug tests, and probably be expected to participate in certain programs and get a job, etc. And there are consequences if he/she fails to comply with the rules. Some individuals have a decent support system, increased motivation, and strong self-discipline, and can make healthy choices for themselves. For others, that added structure might help. However, if a person is struggling with a drug addiction, it could be a difficult road with or without PRC. Has your son considered joining AA or NA, or any other support group out here that might help him to stay on track? Any ways in which he could build a network of positive and supportive people around him could be beneficial.

Some make the argument that PRC is unconstitutional because it allows a person to be incarcerated for more time even after that person has served their total sentence.
Old 04-11-2007, 06:57 PM
Banned

My boyfriend will be on PRC for 5 years after his release.

He will have served his full sentence (mandatory 10), but when he took the deal, the 5 years of "paper" was what he agreed to.

I think it is strange; he is not in for any sort of drug/drunken driving, drunk & disorderly, etc charge, yet when the PO came to "inspect" the house, there were several questions about alcohol/drugs. My boyfriend said yeah, they think all felons are raging alcoholics or drug addicts, no matter what you served your time for. So he will no doubt have to take pee tests. That really doesn't bother us, since we don't drink.....

I still don't get the fact that even though he has done his time, he is still going to be monitored, but really it is going to be no big deal for us. So he has to check in a few times a month, and pee in a cup. We have nothing to worry about. We just can't wait for him to be home.

I do think that for some it is a good idea, as an incentive to stay "out of trouble", but trust me, if my boyfriend has any inclination to lead anything but a law-abiding life, he'd have to deal with me before he even could see his PO!
Old 04-23-2007, 06:59 PM

Default need advice on ohio prc

my boyfriend has went back to prison 5 times for not reporting to a halfway house. He got sent in 1996 july when from what i understand is when the prc just startd getting odered for f1 and f2 he was a f3 i'm getting his records this week if the judge didn't order it who do i go to to contest the fact he shouldn't even be on this please advise me how to do this i wanted to start a thread on this but i dont know how so if you like pm me with any info thanks mia he's on the run now for the same thing
Old 04-23-2007, 07:05 PM
Closed

When it comes to drugs, it could be helpful. Without PRC they have noone to monitor their drug use. He could go back to using and not have to face any prison time unless caught. I, personally, can't think of any situation where PRC is a bad thing.