Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > IOWA Prison & Criminal Justice Discussions
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

IOWA Prison & Criminal Justice Discussions Topics and conversations dealing with the State of Iowa - Department of Corrections, Criminal Justice System, Prisoner & Family Support, News & Information, visitation, mail, etc.

Old 07-01-2019, 07:33 AM

Question Fiancee first time in prison

Hi! My fiancee went to jail on April 30th and was sentenced to 5 yrs in prison on June 24th by Kossuth county. I'm still lost without him. I miss him so much every day. He's my best friend! I haven't been able to talk to him now since they transferred him on the 26th to IMCC ( OAKDALE) . Does anyone know anything about 90 day shock?? Anything to put my mind at ease?? Very sad and wish there was some kind of light at the end of this tunnel! Thank sm
Sponsored Links
Old 07-01-2019, 10:02 AM
PTO Administrator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 35,048 Times in 16,166 Posts

I'm not familiar with Iowa DOC's procedures / policies, but I am familiar with the uncertainty, the frustration and the emotions of dealing with a loved one in prison.

There is a light at the end of the tunnel, and its not a train LOL You've already crossed a couple of the milestones: Sentencing, so now you know what you're dealing with; Transfer from county to Classification, so he will have access to more programs / classes, more & better commissary, more yard time, better and longer visits--hopefully contact visits

It may be awhile before he can call, from what I gather he'll have to submit phone numbers for approval and be given a either a pin # or record his voice for the voice recognition software. If you need to put money on his phone account, here is the link for the form that has to sent with it:

https://doc.iowa.gov/sites/default/f...rvice_form.pdf

The answers to many questions (visiting, sending email, etc) can be found on Iowa's DOC webpage:

https://doc.iowa.gov/

https://doc.iowa.gov/policies

For you: Stay busy with family / friends; go to work / work more hours; go back to school; attend free programs / classes at your local public library; take up a hobby; volunteer....and Write Him often

Welcome to PTO

patchouli, PTO Admin

Old 07-01-2019, 10:50 AM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 22,071 Times in 12,747 Posts

Welcome to Prison Talk. Here's what the Iowa legislature says about "shock".
https://www.legis.iowa.gov/docs/ACO/....201.20.18.pdf
Old 07-01-2019, 11:48 AM

Thanks so much for your reply it's been hard I'm sure it's going to be harder before it gets easier. I appreciate your kind words..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to missinjojo For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (07-02-2019), patchouli (07-01-2019)
Old 07-01-2019, 02:21 PM
PTO Administrator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 35,048 Times in 16,166 Posts

...it doesn't get "easier." You get stronger

patchouli, PTO Admin

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to patchouli For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (07-02-2019), Ms Sunny (07-01-2019)