Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR "OFFENDERS" > Probation, Parole & Supervision
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Probation, Parole & Supervision Having problems (or need info) with Probation, Parole or Community Corrections & Supervision?? Lets talk about it here.

Old 12-11-2017, 01:44 PM

Default Probation questions

Hello. First if all I know my issue is fairly minor compared to what many of you are going through and I respect that. that said it's important to my freedom and frankly my very life. Ok I pleaded guilty to a misdeminor drug paraphernalia charge a few weeks ago. My suspended sentence is 7 days in custody. Today I met with my cro and found out that I have to be off methodone maintenance in order to do there program. That's unacceptable to me for a number of reasons most pressing being I think I will relapse on heroin and possibly die.

Question is if I simply stop interaction with probation what would happen? Is the worst they can do is give me 7 days in jail? How does that work? This is in Alabama if it matters
Sponsored Links
Old 12-11-2017, 01:59 PM
PTO Administrator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 29,869 Times in 13,888 Posts

If 7 days is the total / complete sentence, 7 days is what you'll serve. Read your sentencing papers / plea agreement carefully.

FYI: If it were me, I would have just served the 7 days to begin with if only to get probation outta my hair.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to patchouli For This Useful Post:
Scott (12-12-2017), xolady (12-12-2017)
Old 12-11-2017, 02:32 PM
Ex-Prisoner & ACLU Intern
Donation Award 

Thanked 2,220 Times in 892 Posts

Exactly. Why in the world would you put up with months of probation if you only have to serve 7 days and get it over with?

Self-surrender to your PO, ask to do your time, top your sentence out in jail, and be done with it.

Then probation can no longer have any control over your life. You will then be truly free.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nickel Timer For This Useful Post:
Scott (12-12-2017), xolady (12-12-2017)
Old 12-11-2017, 02:51 PM
PTO Administrator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

One other thing....if you decide to do the 7 days, please go to a detex center and be medically supervised during detox, otherwise it will be a miserable 7 days. Plan on staying at the detox center a few days (2-4, ask them when you call), so plan in advance. Timing is everything Go back on the methadone after you're released if you feel you need to.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to patchouli For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (12-11-2017), Nickel Timer (12-11-2017), Scott (12-12-2017), xolady (12-12-2017), yourself (12-12-2017)
Old 12-11-2017, 03:07 PM

Thanks for the quick replies. I was worried they would just make me do the 7 days then start on probation over again forever. I feel much better from you guys answer

Yeah methodone detox scares me too death. Especially in jail as I have heard stories of people dying of withdrawal inside and no one caring enough to help.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Concernedbro88 For This Useful Post:
patchouli (12-11-2017), xolady (12-12-2017)
Old 12-11-2017, 03:18 PM
Donation Award 

How long does methadone stay in your system?

If you took a good dose right before you went in, hopefully it would help you make it through it. Although I imagine by Day 6 or Day 7 it could get rather uncomfortable.

At least there should be no real heroin available to relapse on in there.

I'd make sure you have ready access to more methadone immediately upon getting out though, just to be safe.
The Following User Says Thank You to Nickel Timer For This Useful Post:
xolady (12-12-2017)
Old 12-11-2017, 03:54 PM

I would be ok for 3 days uncomfortable for day 4 and 5 then full blown dying for day 6 and 7. Jesus I'm terrified.

I may go on the run for awhile and try to taper my dose down before I have to deal with this. I also might try and find a rehab to safely get me off but of course then the relapse situation comes into play. There are really no good options. This is a steep price to pay considering I was only hurting myself. Then they have the guts to say they are trying to help me. Bullshit
Old 12-11-2017, 04:12 PM
PTO Administrator

Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Concernedbro88 View Post
I would be ok for 3 days uncomfortable for day 4 and 5 then full blown dying for day 6 and 7. Jesus I'm terrified.

I may go on the run for awhile and try to taper my dose down before I have to deal with this. I also might try and find a rehab to safely get me off but of course then the relapse situation comes into play. There are really no good options. This is a steep price to pay considering I was only hurting myself. Then they have the guts to say they are trying to help me. Bullshit
Oh no ya don't. Just deal with it now & get it behind you. That''s just an excuse to not detox. And when they catch you, you'll detox in jail. My daughter was a heroin addict for years so I do know a tad bit about "the hustle" of an addict's life, the manipulation and excuses for not getting clean. I'm proud to say she's been clean for a little over a year, trying to get her kids back from CPS / foster care.

I know letting go of the methadone is scary. I know being a heroin addict today is way beyond scary. Do the detox, then do the 7 days. Then do your best to stay clean. Your life depends on it.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to patchouli For This Useful Post:
sidewalker (12-12-2017), xolady (12-12-2017)
Old 12-11-2017, 05:15 PM

I don't want to start a discussion on the pros and cons of opiate maintenance but methodone really has saved my life. I was hopelessly addicted to heroin when I got on it 2 years ago it was bad. I've stayed off heroin since I got on it. I got in trouble because I got in the car with an idiot who had drugs nothing more. So it's not like I am on some long ass binge or anything. I feel like I played by the rules and now society has flipped them around on me. But that's Alabama for you I guess. Can't wait to get out of here.
Old 12-11-2017, 05:27 PM
PTO Administrator

Donation Award 

Yeah, I know a chick that has been on methadone for 10+ years. She's done quite well on it. I wasn't knocking methadone or any other opiate maintenance...for some its a life saver, for others, not quite so much. But opiate maintenance is not the subject exactly of this thread

I still believe you'd be better detoxing before jail and that you shouldn't run for a while to decrease your dose. After you get the 7 days jail behind you you can most certainly go back to your clinic and carry on

The Following User Says Thank You to patchouli For This Useful Post:
xolady (12-12-2017)
Old 12-11-2017, 05:41 PM

Yeah I am praying it works out to be as simple as doing the 7 days and being done
Old 12-11-2017, 09:36 PM

Thanked 10,106 Times in 5,639 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickel Timer View Post
Exactly. Why in the world would you put up with months of probation if you only have to serve 7 days and get it over with?

Self-surrender to your PO, ask to do your time, top your sentence out in jail, and be done with it.

Then probation can no longer have any control over your life. You will then be truly free.
This sentence sounds like a diversion program. And avoiding conviction is ALWAYS preferable to having a conviction that follows you around and can screw with jobs, licensure and potentially even student loans or scholarships.

As to OP's situation, it would be worth having counsel file a Motion with the Court that is backed by affidavits from the treatment provider that OP is currently under the care of. There is bound to be a workaround available here...
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to CenTexLyn For This Useful Post:
GaReform (12-11-2017), sidewalker (12-12-2017), WA CCO (12-13-2017), xolady (12-12-2017), yourself (12-12-2017)
Old 12-12-2017, 06:27 AM

Thanks for the reply centexlyn I really admire what you and yourself do for people on this site.

It's not a diversion program in that the conviction goes on my record either way. I think I've decided to pay a local defense attorney for an hour of time to make sure I'm not overlooking anything. If it's as simple as a quick jail sentence then that's what I will do. My fear is that they will give me the 7 days then just put me back on cro to repeat the whole process again
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Concernedbro88 For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (12-12-2017), Nickel Timer (12-12-2017), patchouli (12-12-2017), xolady (12-12-2017), yourself (12-12-2017)
Old 12-12-2017, 12:43 PM
attorney

Thanked 20,125 Times in 7,206 Posts

It doesn't sound like it unless the probation is also a part of your sentence, and not in lieu of doing the jail time.

Look, I know a bit about how addiction works. I also know about absconding. You need to talk with your treatment advisor about it and do a medically supervised detox that will get you safely through 7 days assuming that's the route you want to take and be done with it. The psychosocial aspects of life outside also play a big part with whether you go back on methadone once you are done with jail. You could very easily have a treatment plan with your treatment provider to taper down so that your last days hell won't be as bad as it would be now, and that you could go back on a lower dose of methadone once you come out. It's really not an all or nothing situation - work with your treatment providers. Chances are, they'd love to get you on a lower dose as a result of a medically safe detox or partial detox and a week of jail time.

And I fully agree with Centex- get a motion before the court with supporting documentation. If the only thing preventing you from successfully doing a probation is a requirement that you get off methadone, then you need to combat this. This will also give you time to consider all of your options and perhaps one or two that your treatment providers can come up with that we are not seeing.

Btw, the one thing you do not want to do is abscond. Seriously, you are not on LE radar atm, stay off it. Absconding will just make a bad situation worse and remove your ability to choose how you deal with your addiction issues. By being on methadone, you've already demonstrated that you are handling things in a mature fashion that doesn't place the public at risk. Absconding takes the juice out of that decision away. Don't do that to yourself - you can do better. Get with a good defense attorney and see if you can amend the situation legally so you don't have to taper, medically withdraw, or withdraw in jail. There are much better options than absconding, especially with this sort of a sentence.

And I appreciate the kudos. Always nice to hear some appreciation.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to yourself For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (12-12-2017), GaReform (12-12-2017), patchouli (12-12-2017), sidewalker (12-13-2017), xolady (12-12-2017)
Old 12-12-2017, 04:50 PM

What would happen if CRO was a part of my sentence? Can they just keep putting me in jail and putting me back on cro forever basically? Like if I violate they can hold me 7 days then let me out and put me back in cro? This is all so confusing.

The thing about methodone is the cro guy sent me for an evaluation at a rehab. Suprise suprise they think I need to do outpatient rehab. In order to do the outpatient rehab you have to be abstinent which means no methadone apparently. I called every other outpatient rehab and got the same story. So I can't abide by the cro terms if I don't get off methodone. Frustrating. Offs are high if I get off methodone I will relapse or worse. I'm struggling with severe mental health issues on top of this BS. Making me even more scared is all the articles of people dying in jail from drug withdrawal. I just know they will let me die and not give a single crap.
Old 12-12-2017, 06:40 PM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 17,701 Times in 10,619 Posts

Decide what you are going to do, your decision completely. You can make your situation as easy as possible, or massively worse. What you should want to avoid at all costs is withdrawing from methadone while locked in a small cage.

Keep checking until you find a way to withdraw somewhere other than a jail or prison. Because the first person you talked to said no doesn't mean there isn't an inpatient program that will accept you. Once you have done that, your 7 days locked up won't include having to withdraw with zero support. You can then complete your sentence and get on with your life, with or without methadone or drugs.
Old 12-12-2017, 06:45 PM
Donation Award 

For misdemeanor cases, usually any jail term is in lieu of probation. It's the default punishment hanging over your head in case you don't comply with (or refuse to volunteer for) probation. Couldn't hurt to talk to a local attorney in your jurisdiction and make sure, but in most jurisdictions I've seen, usually serving any misdemeanor jail sentence in full kills your paper.

One thing you might want to inquire of that attorney you speak to, see if you can't go back to court to arrange to do just weekend stints in jail instead. Just 2 or 3 days at a time until you've served your 7 days. That way you wouldn't have to go so long between getting your methadone fixes, having to serve all 7 days in one fell swoop.
The Following User Says Thank You to Nickel Timer For This Useful Post:
patchouli (12-12-2017)
Old 12-12-2017, 07:59 PM

Good ideas. I got bad news from my insurance today unfortunately about rehab. But yes I do not want to withdrawal in jail. That's the bottom line of what this is all about. If it wasn't for that I wouldn't be wasting your guys time with the questions.

Anyway thank you to everyone for the responses I truely do appreciate it. I'm trying to find a detox/rehab that will take me. I'm going to start tapering at the clinic but that's a slow process. It's umm going to be a bad end year to a bad year it seems. I guess this is what it's like to live in the most incarcerated country in the world.
Old 12-12-2017, 09:31 PM
attorney

Thanked 20,125 Times in 7,206 Posts

If you violate probation and cannot afford an attorney, one will be provided for you. Assuming you make bail, you'll be out and you and your attorney can work with the state to come up with something more tenable.

That said, the best thing to do is to go before the court before you are forced to violate. This gives you your best shot of coming up with a solution that meets your particular treatment needs.

And you might want to talk with your treatment advisor about possible rehabs in the area that will allow you to be on methadone.
Old 12-13-2017, 08:47 PM
Parole Officer

OP, ask your CRO what medically is acceptable. There is more then methadone to assist with heroin addiction. Many treatment providers and jurisdictions dislike methadone or suboxone as its easily abused/illegally sold. And bluntly, many believe you're trading one addiction for another. I've heard good things about Vivitrol.

As the others have already posted, weigh out the ramifications carefully with your attorney. Absconding is not the answer and could result in additional charges.
The Following User Says Thank You to WA CCO For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (12-14-2017)
Old 12-16-2017, 12:22 PM
Donation Award 

Concerned,
I agree with all the post here and your best route is not to abscond. I would contact the States Attorney and see how they have dealt with this issue in the past. You cannot be the first person on methadone maintenance they have encountered.

Vivitrol would not be an option for you while on methadone maintenance as it will immediately send a person into withdrawal. In Illinois we are starting a pilot program at two of our drug treatment correctional facilities using Vivitrol prior to release. There are of course some side effects and the shot is intramuscular which requires a 2" needle for the 4cc injection once a month.

Take Care Chris
Old 12-16-2017, 12:48 PM

Yeah vivitrol isn't an option. I'm in limbo till the first of the year when I have another cro appointment. I'm just going to control what I can by passing the UAs and stuff while staying on methodone. I'm going to make them violate me if they order me off methodone. I feel like that puts the on us on them to explain to the judge why I should be jailed for received a legal medical treatment. It may not work out but I'm facing a small enough amount of time to feel like I can take the gamble.
Since a few professional in the criminal system have posted I want to say something. Methodone does not get me high. Period. It's very difficult if not impossible to divert because I have to dose in front of a nurse most days. Even when you earn take home priveliges they do random bottle checks to make sure you aren't cheating. Methodone is the most effective form of opiate disorder treatment in the US with remission rates above 50 percent. NA and AA and other abstinence based treatment has a rate below 10 percent. Withholding methadone from people on probation is counterproductive and studies back that up.

I hate all the misinformation on methodone. It's literally costing lives
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Concernedbro88 For This Useful Post:
chris idoc (12-19-2017), Nickel Timer (12-16-2017), patchouli (12-16-2017)
Old 12-17-2017, 04:06 PM
Parole Officer

OP, you'll be jailed for not entering into drug treatment. You're the one that has to explain, plus dealing with the withdrawal symptoms. Again which is why you should ask what other options are available.

Don't wait until next month.

And I'm debating the pros and cons of methadone, just pointing out the view many have.
Old 12-17-2017, 06:25 PM
Parole Officer

* sorry meant to say not debating pro's and cons of methadone. For some reason I can't edit the post.