Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR FAMILY & FRIENDS > Extended Family
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Extended Family For the grandparents, aunts, uncles, nieces, nephews and cousins of inmates.

Old 06-28-2006, 07:15 PM

Default My Cousin is in Douglas Arizona

I feel that all memebers of our family should be cared about instead of ignored because of what they did to get themselves in prison but we can only due what we can due.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-30-2006, 03:34 PM
Former Moderator
Donation Award 

I'm an outcast too, because I show support for my brother and friends who are locked up. It's nice to know that others understand.
Live as if you'll die today
~James Dean~
Old 11-15-2006, 11:13 AM

Default My nephew

My beloved nephew was sentenced a week ago so I'm very new to all of this. He's still in the county jail waiting for the next step. His sentence is 4.24 to 15 years. He is innocent and we are doing everything possible to right this wrong. We have never had anyone in our extended family in trouble beyond a speeding ticket so we're clueless. He's lucky in the sense he has a large group of friends and family who believe in his innocence and who support him but it's devastating to us all that he has to go through this BS. I'm so glad to have found this site, it's helped me so much in just a week with useful information. Thank you for being there.
Old 11-18-2006, 02:50 PM

Welcome to PTO ballynahinch. It is wonderful to see you supporting your nephew. I will keep him in my prayers. It really is amazing how much we can learn from this website. I feel so much stronger since I have found this site. Just the knowledge alone has given me power.
Old 12-22-2006, 09:42 PM

Hello my name is Mandy.. I also have a cousin Jamie who is in Jefferson City Correctoinal center in Missouri... He was 18 when he was sent to prison and is now 28.. he will live his entire life in prison which breaks my heart but theres one things about our family... we have faith, we have a strong bond with everyone and as jamie says we are soooo lucky to have our family.....
Old 12-23-2006, 06:24 AM
Former Moderator
Donation Award 

Welcome to the Extended Family forum, Mandy. If I can help you with anything, please feel free to PM me.
~James Dean~
Old 02-24-2007, 02:54 PM

Unhappy confused grandmother

Some on has to help me figure out how to do this? I am sure I am am on the wrong section and not sure how I even got here. But this is the first time I have been able to even type a question. Boy do I feel stupid. My main question is that my 18 yr old grandson son is on his way to Greene in Coxsckie NY, and I have heard horror stiories about Greene. Is there any one who can share any information with me about Green. We are from the Rochester area. Any thing would be great.
Old 02-24-2007, 09:23 PM

Beamo, welcome. You're definitely in the right section to share experiences with other extended family members. You might also want to check out the New York section for more info related to your grandson's situation and NY DOC rules. It looks like Greene is located within NY DOC's Great Meadow Hub so make sure you check that specific forum, too. I put the link below for you.

GREAT MEADOW HUB - NY DOC (1 Viewing)
New York State Prisons & Institutions located inside the GREAT MEADOW HUB - Moriah, Washington, Great Meadow, Mt. McGregor, Greene, Coxsackie, Hudson.
Old 03-03-2007, 08:39 PM
the rebel

Arrow jonathan scott

okay this is gonna be a weird one but why not..

i have a cousin crystal. she met a guy named jonathan. they had a baby girl named juliauna. she is now 4. (which makes her my 2nd cousin) crystal is a low life that wants nothing to do with her kids. shed rather spend her time out partying & sleeping around.

ive come to accept jon as part of the family; since he is juliaunas father. hes tried in the past. he just made some mistakes this time around. he was looking at a 13 yr sentence but took a plea of 3 years. hes already done 1 year. by the time he gets out his little girl will be 6 years old

he wants to turn his life around & be there for his daughter. his visitation was revoked until december 07. i plan on doing everything i can to get his baby girl up there (north fl) come christmas time. that would mean the world to him.

i was locked up for a short amount of time as a juvenile & an adult i know what it feels like to be a part of the system. its horrible. its depressing to be locked away and all your rights taken away from you.

its hard on our family & for jons family. we just have to keep our heads up & wish for the best. hopefully this time hes learned his lesson
Old 05-08-2007, 10:26 AM

Default From the other side of the world

Hi to everyone on this forum, by way of an introduction I would just like to say that I discovered a long lost rellie in a prison in America. We have never met, but as soon as I found out his details I wrote him, he quickly answered my letter and we have been corresponding ever since. He has spent literally two thirds of his life in prison, I do wonder how he would make it on the outside if he ever were released, which doesn't look too promising at this stage. I just wanted him to know that there is someone out here in his family that still cared about him. As I live at least 10,500 miles away from America, it would be near impossible that we will ever meet (unless I won Lotto--unlikely!!) and of course, he would never even be able to visit here, even if he ever was released because of his criminal history. I do worry desperately for him--he is in a SHU, and I can only half imagine all the little freedoms that we on the outside take for granted, are denied to him. It is a horrible situation and I am so very, very glad to have found PTO (by accident whilst searching for information on the American legal / prisons. I have learnt so much by reading others' experiences. I thank everyone who has shared their stories and given me the opportunity to participate and learn. Cheers NB
Old 05-19-2007, 05:28 AM

Hi everyone. My name is Cherry and my stepfather was sentenced to 12 years on Wednesday. This is so far out of what I know that I really don't know how to deal with it. We were told to have 3 letters of recommendation for probation; we had over 20. Judge wouldn't let him change his plea (attorney recommended he take it; otherwise he was facing 99 years on each of nine charges.) Everyone keeps saying this gets easier. I have only one question, when? I have two kids who keep asking for their Paw-paw and I can't tell them he won't be home for twelve years. Any suggestions as to what I should tell them?
Old 09-01-2007, 08:11 AM

Question

Hi, My name is Lisa and my cousin was just sentenced to 10 yeas in prison in alabama.He and I were always very close til he got into drugs.I was just wondering if somebody could help me with some questions.I know he will not have to serve the full time.He has been in trouble before but never had to serve time til now.I don't know the legal laws in alabama.Any information will be helpful.Thanks so much
Old 02-06-2008, 01:35 AM

Default new to the site

hi. my name's carly. i have a cousin who has been incarcerated for 2 1/2 years now. he was originally in yazoo city, ms; but is now in marianna, fl. he is do out in august. he was convicted of a firearms possession. having previously been arrested for assualt, twice [once on the police]; he is now considered a 'violent offender'. i am eager for his return.
Old 03-03-2008, 10:05 PM
Two of A Kind

I don't have a lot of info yet, so I may update this later!

Hello everyone! I've been here at PTO for a while now b/c my fiance is incarcerated. However, I just decided to introduce myself here because I have a cousin serving time, also. Today I was able to see him for 1 hour at his mother's visitation service. She passed 3 days ago from pneumonia and other health issues. He has served about 2 + years of a 10 year sentence. If a certain law passes, he may get out in a year or less. If it doesn't then he'll serve most all of his 10 years. I really am stuck on an issue. I haven't been keeping in touch and now I feel that I want to - but I'm afraid he'll wonder why I didn't bother all this time before? Why wait until NOW to reach out to him? I feel bad for not writing sooner, but I would like to keep in touch with him. He has a daughter that I didn't even know about & I'd love to learn more about her and him, too. Any suggestions on what I should write first? Thanks for listening/reading. I hope you have a good week!

Last edited by fyrenspyce; 03-03-2008 at 10:07 PM..
Old 03-07-2008, 10:05 AM
Donation Award 

You can always start off by telling him what you told us that you would like to get to know him and his daughter. Apologize for not writing sooner and let him know you are not going to make any excuses for not writing but you're here now and would like to keep in touch and ask if he would accept that.

Good Luck!
Old 03-07-2008, 08:12 PM
Former Moderator
Donation Award 

Tell him the truth. It's the easiest way and I feel that he will appreciate your honesty and the fact that you want to reach out to him.

Welcome!!
~James Dean~
Old 04-04-2008, 12:39 AM
Here for the long haul

Soooo, I posted in siblings because my brother is locked up and that's what brought me here.
While he was in there we found out that a cousin who we hadn't seen for 15 years (when my Aunt passed away) is in too. Then my brother went to seg and we figured they wouldn't meet. Lo and behold, my cousin got in a fight, ended up in a cell next door and they got to catch up (they never knew each other at all because they were only 5 and 6 at the time and my Aunt brought her family up from San Diego only a month or so before she passed.
Anyways, I thought I would post here because I've had the chance to reconnect, well, actually to connect with my cousin and it's been pretty neat.
It was such a strange set of circumstances but I like to think maybe God or the universe planned it that way.

Also, after reading the other intros asking how to start communication, I wanted to say I booked a visit with my cousin right away and started letter writing. It has been slow writing because I focus SO much on my brother (my cousin will likely be home in 8 months, my brother could theoretically be facing 8 years), but we picked up pretty quickly. I just started telling him about my life, asked what he had been up to before going in (turns out he had been in and out) but he had lots of questions so it's been pretty easy.

Last edited by spacecase77; 04-04-2008 at 12:43 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to spacecase77 For This Useful Post:
mercedes howard (05-08-2008)
Old 04-06-2008, 10:32 AM
Former Moderator
Donation Award 

Welcome to the Extended Family forum.
~James Dean~
Old 06-08-2008, 10:10 PM

I have a family member who has been convicted of child molestation with a 30 year sentence with 10 of those years suspended to probation and he is eligible for some kind of "good time credit" with his earliest release date being 09/15/2017. He is in Miami Correctional Level 3 Facility in Bunker Hill, Indiana. The whole situation is very sad and I would like to be supportive in whatever way I can.
Old 06-09-2008, 12:27 AM
Here for the long haul

Hi ead. I think it's really good that you want to be supportive.
I believe that family support is probably the one biggest factor that can help someone, anyone, turn their life around.
Welcome to the forums
Old 07-04-2008, 08:16 AM

Default Aunt but sometimes Mom it seems

Hi Lisa...my name is Robin and I have a nephew in the Southeastern Correctional facility in Lancaster, OH. He has been down for 7 years and has 14 more months to go unless the camp personnel get their way. I have been in fear for the last week because for 7 yrs he is described as a "model prisoner" and just last week he was approached by a new Sgt on his dorm and advised him that if he wanted to "keep his cushy laundry porter job" then he would become her informant on activities on the dorm.

He of course told her to jump off a bridge (probably more graphic than I of course) and he filed a complaint against her with the investigator and all of a sudden he is "being investigated and was placed in the hole" and now was charged with a serious offense which the prison warden says he can't discuss with me. I have been double talked and spoon fed garbage by this prison administration for over 2 weeks and I need help to get things changed.

I don't sleep at night well as I worry about what is happening to him. I see him on Sunday for the first time since all this went down but I only get 20 mins to see him and that is "under supervision". Got any advice???
Old 07-05-2008, 04:06 AM
Former Moderator
Donation Award 

I would start to voice your concerns to someone in Columbus. If they won't listen to you at the prison, the best thing to do is to move up.
~James Dean~
Old 07-09-2008, 11:06 PM

Hello, my name is Angela and my nephew was recently sent to prison for 6 years. SRCF in Oregon. He is very scared, so are we. He is already being approched by gangs (which he wants no part of) he is being threatened that if he doesnt jump someone he will be jumped. This all seems so scary. My sister (his mother) is about to have a nervous breakdown. We get these phone calls from him scared to death that he is going to be killed by these other inmates if he doesnt do what they tell him. Its just such a helpless feeling not knowing whats going on or if they really will hurt him. I joined to try and get some comfort from other people and hopefully people who have experienced the same thing.

Thanks
Angela
Old 07-10-2008, 04:19 AM
Former Moderator
Donation Award 

Welcome tot the Extended Family forum. It can be scary for the inmate and family alike. This is the place to be for the support.
~James Dean~
Old 07-10-2008, 04:53 PM

i think you need to talk to an attny if you can afford one,before this goes any farther.sometimes when they know someone is watching and won't go away they will think about what they are doing.unfortionaly after the age of 18 nobody can find out anything even parents.....he may be able somehow to give you power to speak for him(power of attny??) that way you might be able to find what he is chged with.i'm still for a call to warden from an attny.good luck,my heart is with you both.my grandson was 16 when his offence occured he was just sentenced to 6 yrs. as a youthful offender in fl.he just turned 19 in june and is waiting to leave soon.its so hard now i can't imagine how it will be when he arrives to the prison........be strong and make your voice heard.i can't even tell you how many times weve called the jail and had to speak to the sgt or commander.i hope your visit helps,tysgma