Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR FAMILY & FRIENDS > Extended Family
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Extended Family For the grandparents, aunts, uncles, nieces, nephews and cousins of inmates.

Old 01-10-2012, 06:34 PM

Default Any ideas on how to keep the conversations alive with your loved one? ???

yall have any ideas on how to keep the conversations alive with your loved one? I write to my cousin every week but its getting boring and its starting to feel like a routine? So you guys have any ideas ???
Sponsored Links
Old 01-11-2012, 03:47 PM

Not sure if this helps, but hopefully it will even just a little.

I bought this book called "All About Me". The book has a lot of random questions in it about people and their personalities. Sone of those questions really make you think too. My PP and I have been writing for about a year now, and it was starting to feel routine too. So now with every letter, I choose 3-5 questions from the book to ask him and answer them myself.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dahlia21 For This Useful Post:
christy789 (01-11-2012)
Old 01-11-2012, 04:37 PM

You're welcome. And I just had another idea that I am going to start doing myself. I am gonna start doing "a quote a week". Finding uplifting quotes and sayings to send to him at the end of each letter, that way you can look forward to finding an uplifting quite or saying for him and he will look forawrd to seeing what new quote you found for him.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dahlia21 For This Useful Post:
christy789 (01-11-2012)
Old 01-16-2012, 11:38 PM

make a custom crossword puzzle or word search based on things you know he likes, on the crossword you pick your own words and definations- it can be really fun- to make aswell as play!
www.discoveryeducation.com/puzzlemaker

Everyday that passes is one day closer...
Mrs. Stanford
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Terran For This Useful Post:
christy789 (01-17-2012), kevinmom (07-06-2012)
Old 05-29-2012, 01:09 PM

I send pictures, old and new and sometimes I cut one in 3 pieces and send one piece at a time over several days, so it is a puzzle.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chiclet For This Useful Post:
christy789 (04-06-2013), kevinmom (07-06-2012)
Old 05-29-2012, 01:23 PM

Tell them every little boring thing that you did that day. Take pictures and send them. Even if it's something stupid. I know my guy likes to know there are normal people out here living normal lives. That the whole world keeps going and that someday he'll hopefully be a part of it again.
Old 07-06-2012, 04:07 PM

wow those are really cool ideas. Lets see for me I started tearing out a page of a puzzle book and including one with every letter and it's fun. Also I send little jokes or take a copy of a cool sports story he would like about his favorite teams and stuff like that. I can't wait to try all the cool ideas shared.
The Following User Says Thank You to kevinmom For This Useful Post:
christy789 (04-06-2013)
Old 08-09-2012, 02:37 PM

I take alot of pictures, it's a hobby, so I send alot of pictures, and it's just of random things, everyday stuff, I picked peaches off my peach tree so I took a picture of a big bowl of fresh peaches, he loves sunsets, so I took a pictures of the sunsetting, when I went to the Wildlife Refuge I took pictures of the buffalo and plants and grasses (my friend is a painter and draws, so he can use this type stuff too). I have started keeping my camera in my purse and I just take random pictures of anything I think is cool and he loves getting the pictures. I cut out interesting newspaper articles (nothing about prisons they didn't let those through, lol).
The Following User Says Thank You to nonamesleftlol For This Useful Post:
christy789 (04-06-2013)
Old 07-09-2013, 04:18 AM

Whenever I don't know what else to write an have some time I take pen and paper and go somewhere where's a bench and jot down what's happening around me. Try the airport, the park, a mall, a playground.
Last weekend I've been at a subway station. I described people, the weather, the colors, flowers next to the tracks, counted the blotches of chewing gum and copied the messages scratched into the bench I was sitting on. It made six pages and she says she loves my descriptions. I often take photos and send them a couple of days later so she can see if her imagination matches the place.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lx For This Useful Post:
Sheryl P. (07-09-2013)
Old 07-10-2013, 07:33 AM
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,776 Times in 636 Posts

I know that I will go to random places that Justin loves and write descriptions of what is going on there that day. A good example was the pool: I wrote about watching little kids taking their first jump from the high dive and he absolutely loved it saying that he could see in his head what I was describing.

Waiting, I have been in perpetual waiting. At the end of the waiting, my family will be reunited and complete. Until then, I will keep waiting, praying, and loving each one with patience and strength. I love you all, I miss you all....until that day comes.
Old 07-10-2013, 09:24 AM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 19,395 Times in 6,958 Posts

I actually wrote my pen pal a walk-through of a Walgreen's ad the other day in a letter. One of the things I've noticed is that my pals (both have been down for 10+ years) are shocked when I mention how much I paid for gas, jeans, ect. Not having access to that fluctuating information has to be a little disorienting. Seems odd but yep, "Oral B toothbrush heads, $19.99" actually went into a recent letter.
The Following User Says Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
mom2michael (01-13-2015)
Old 07-10-2013, 09:39 AM
Dallas DIVA Doll
Donation Award 

Thanked 2,031 Times in 806 Posts

Its my bff Marj's MWI whose inside so I don't actually "know" him, I met him twice when my husband and he were cellies and it gets hard to "entertain" him at times so I just picked up a bunch of the Thinking of You greeting cards last time I was in the .99 Cents Store and it does the trick for me. The cards typically have cute or funny sayings inside so I just write Hi Ricky...letting you know you're in my thoughts and prayers or something along those lines just to let him know I care even if I'm having a busy week or just have nothing to share. The cards only cost like .50 cents each so it works and he gets mail....Marcia

Free at last...Together 4-Ever

Our Baby: Miss Ayleah Zaide Brooks born... Jan. 8,2012 8 lbs. 1oz.
Old 07-10-2013, 01:35 PM

You can also buy cards in bulk at ebay. Viewcards, animals, some of everything. There are often offerings like 100 cards for 20.