Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > RESOURCE CENTER > World Prison News
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

World Prison News Post info (IF it doesn't belong in another PTO forum) about the prison system, prisoner support, criminal justice, etc., that you learn firsthand, through the media, from an inmate, or any other source. News can be local, state, Federal, or int'l.

Old 11-19-2017, 02:15 PM
Ex-Prisoner & ACLU Intern
Donation Award 

Thanked 2,102 Times in 842 Posts
Post 91 Percent of Americans Support Criminal Justice Reform, ACLU Polling Finds

Quote:
(From press release) – The American Civil Liberties Union Campaign for Smart Justice released new public opinion polling today that shows consensus support for criminal justice reform across the ideological and political spectrum.
http://www.davisvanguard.org/2017/11...polling-finds/

Of note: 71 percent say it is important to reduce the prison population in America, including 87 percent of Democrats, 67 percent of Independents, and 57 percent of Republicans — including 52 percent of Trump voters.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nickel Timer For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (11-19-2017), patchouli (11-19-2017)
Sponsored Links
Old 11-19-2017, 07:36 PM

Thanked 1,085 Times in 603 Posts

This is huge. You cannot get 91% of Americans to agree the Earth revolves around the Sun.
Old 11-19-2017, 10:58 PM

Thanked 1,253 Times in 519 Posts

That's amazing! My question then is why aren't things changing faster? Are people feeling it but not voicing it or are politicians not brave enough to test the issue? I am sharing the article with many advocate groups & hope that everyone impacted by the criminal justice system will send this article to their elected officials with a letter asking them to make changes.
Old 11-20-2017, 12:33 AM

Thanked 1,085 Times in 603 Posts

One reason is a system that makes it difficult to change things. Look how Federal sentencing reform died last session despite broad bipartisan support.

Another reason is that lawmakers care about who steps up and acts, not about who tells a pollster they "support" something. FAMM visiting their office has power, GEO Group making a donation has power, and people who don't even vote in off-year elections have no power.
Nickel Timer (11-20-2017)