Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal Probation, Halfway House and Community Supervision
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Federal Probation, Halfway House and Community Supervision This forum is dedicated to information & discussions relating to U.S. Federal Probation & Community Supervision, including half-way houses.

Old 09-17-2018, 07:49 AM

Default Need information about upcoming halfway-house process

Good morning ladies was thinking about we don't have much longer time down InshaAllah I'm looking forward to me and my husband reunitement what shall I expect once my LO is released like how long do they stay at a halfway house typically? This is kinda new to me since he has only ever done state previously.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-17-2018, 09:30 AM
Midnight Sun Moderator

PTO Site Moderator 

Donation Award 

Thanked 3,531 Times in 1,596 Posts

Hi there - I moved your post to our federal probation & halfway house forum from the USP Big Sandy specific thread; this way you will get better responses

The Following User Says Thank You to Sarianna For This Useful Post:
MsJuvie (09-17-2018)
Old 09-17-2018, 10:15 AM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 20,330 Times in 11,845 Posts

HWH can be for as long as one year, but it is usually closer to ten percent of their initial sentence. He can find out how much time, if any, the prison will recommend from his unit team case manager. Once the CM sends the request to the HWH, the actual date will depend on if the HWH has an available bed.
Old 09-17-2018, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbopnomore View Post
HWH can be for as long as one year, but it is usually closer to ten percent of their initial sentence. He can find out how much time, if any, the prison will recommend from his unit team case manager. Once the CM sends the request to the HWH, the actual date will depend on if the HWH has an available bed.
Thank you for the reply
The Following User Says Thank You to MsJuvie For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (09-17-2018)
Old 09-17-2018, 05:51 PM
Site Moderator

Donation Award 

It also may be possible for him to be allowed to live at home, on "home confinement" either directly from prison, or after meeting requirements while living at the Half Way House. His bop unit team usually handles direct releases to home confinement, while the HWH staff and the bop community corrections manager decide on transfers from the HWH to HC. Either way, a home inspection visit is necessary before HC, and usually even before he will be approved for overnight passes there from the HWH.
Old 09-19-2018, 08:22 AM

Quote:
It also may be possible for him to be allowed to live at home, on "home confinement" either directly from prison, or after meeting requirements while living at the Half Way House. His bop unit team usually handles direct releases to home confinement, while the HWH staff and the bop community corrections manager decide on transfers from the HWH to HC. Either way, a home inspection visit is necessary before HC, and usually even before he will be approved for overnight passes there from the HWH.
So if by chance he obtains HC does that mean he is not permitted to go anywhere hence "confinement"
Old 09-19-2018, 09:14 AM
Site Moderator

Donation Award 

He will have rules, just like he will on federal probation/supervised release. They will be set by whoever is supervising him, US PO if he goes directly from bop prison, or the HWH staff if that's how he is allowed to live at home. I went to HC from the HWH. At first I had to call the HWH and request a pass any time I wanted to leave home, but that was quickly changed to a 6PM to 6AM curfew, so I was free to do whatever I wanted during the day.

He will be told his restrictions for HC, and again when his prison sentence is completed. The main difference is that he will still be in bop custody at the HWH, and HC, so he can be returned to prison if the bop decides to send him back. Once he is on supervised release, the PO has to file a violation with the federal court, which will be adjudicated by a federal judge.
Old 09-19-2018, 03:42 PM

Quote:
So, on a sentence of 20 years (given your statement of "closer to 10 percent of their initial sentence") could my friend and I be lucky enough to think he might get HWH for 2 years? Would that apply to home confinement also? That's what we're hoping for (as opposed to a HWH).
Old 09-20-2018, 06:14 AM
Site Moderator

Donation Award 

Maximum HWH time is limited to 12 months, home confinement at 6 months, so the most total "community corrections" time allowed is one year.
Old 09-20-2018, 04:08 PM

Quote:
He will have rules, just like he will on federal probation/supervised release. They will be set by whoever is supervising him, US PO if he goes directly from bop prison, or the HWH staff if that's how he is allowed to live at home. I went to HC from the HWH. At first I had to call the HWH and request a pass any time I wanted to leave home, but that was quickly changed to a 6PM to 6AM curfew, so I was free to do whatever I wanted during the day.

He will be told his restrictions for HC, and again when his prison sentence is completed. The main difference is that he will still be in bop custody at the HWH, and HC, so he can be returned to prison if the bop decides to send him back. Once he is on supervised release, the PO has to file a violation with the federal court, which will be adjudicated by a federal judge.
Very informative your reply is appreciated
The Following User Says Thank You to MsJuvie For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (09-20-2018)