Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal Probation, Halfway House and Community Supervision
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Federal Probation, Halfway House and Community Supervision This forum is dedicated to information & discussions relating to U.S. Federal Probation & Community Supervision, including half-way houses.

Old 03-14-2018, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldnetsources View Post
Ah very nice, heard good things about Duluth. So he will do 15.7 months on that and the way they are with the HWH's I wouldn't expect much especially on such a short sentence and with such high family support. I have not seen anyone go right from the Prison directly home. I have seen them come to the HWH to check in, then leave to HC because they are still under control of the HWH regardless if they are living there or at home for the duration of time granted by Grand Prairie Texas. I just had a friend who did 25 years straight get 4 mo HWH to Rebuild His Life, where's the Justice in that? The Window of getting excellent HWH time just expired about 8 months ago. So I don't see him getting anymore than 30-90 days HWH/HC which would make his total time a year or just a bit more until he is basically free again. I was around a lot of Campers and a lot of them would have rather stayed in the CAMP than the miserable HWH I was in. But not I, ever. I never saw a Camp, or close too it but it's all relative. What's good in Chicago might not be good in NY as mentioned before, but the BOP is still the BOP. Policy states that an Inmate will be put in for HWH (don't get thrown off by me using the term HWH vs HC it's the same thing you just sleep home on HC) 17-19 months before your good time release date. Technically speaking he should have already been put in and I would stress getting that done to secure a bed and on the flip side if he get's very little time it leaves you some-time to appeal. If you have any outside Advocacy I would also lean on them.

That is inaccurate. My husband was white collar 6 months camp(Pensacola), 6 months HC, then 18 months probation(SR?). He was released to HC with no HWH involved. He was released on a Fri and had to report to PO on Monday morning. We are almost at the 3 month mark of HC.

That financial reporting is a little unsettling.... every month?? Wow! We have no financial obligations left. Everything has been paid prior to going in. Not even a charge for ankle monitor.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-14-2018, 02:52 PM

Thanked 1,203 Times in 609 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsDeeKay View Post
That is inaccurate. My husband was white collar 6 months camp(Pensacola), 6 months HC, then 18 months probation(SR?). He was released to HC with no HWH involved. He was released on a Fri and had to report to PO on Monday morning. We are almost at the 3 month mark of HC.

That financial reporting is a little unsettling.... every month?? Wow! We have no financial obligations left. Everything has been paid prior to going in. Not even a charge for ankle monitor.
When I went to visit mine last weekend, he did tell me he had a call out for a seminar for I think as he called it "pre-release seminar" which seemed premature, but whatever. I too have heard of people going straight to HC or at least only having to check into the HWH and then going straight home. It sounds like there is a lot of bickering between the prisons and various PO offices and HWH over what else? $. The prisons (at least the camps) apparently get $38k per year per prisoner and they all want that piece so if Duluth maintains control over him when he's out, they get a part of that money. So stupid, since if he's home, it's not like they're going to be doing much. He's a white collar for pete's sake. I don't see them wasting much time on him because they'll quickly learn it's a complete waste of money to do so. And since their goal is to make money, he'll be an easy one to make money on.

Now the financial statement stuff, is still totally bothersome. I still laugh though that he has to give them 1 year of his tax return while he is on SR. That means they will get his 2018 return, which is the year he is in prison. They can have fun with that. The only income his return will show is the income from the conversion of his Traditional IRA to Roth IRA and the last consulting check he received after he SS. Any income he makes in 2019 when he is actually on SR, they won't get to see the tax return for. Kind of ironic.

Again, another example of wasted resources!
Old 03-14-2018, 02:57 PM

Cannot be self-employed in HWH but it Sounds like that wonít be a problem as he has chosen not to go that route.

Age may play a factor for yíall but our experience is community service was not allowed as a ďjobĒ on HC. We donít owe anything as far as restitution, fines, court fees....but had to have a paying job. Itís all good. I just donít want to get too comfy with the extra income because this is supposed to be our retirement years!
Old 03-14-2018, 03:05 PM

Such bogus!

My husbands terms of SR says if he can't find a job then he has to do community service. Someone in his pre-release seminar did ask about if you have to work if you can collect social security and I think the answer was yes, unless you're 65. Of course, it doesn't affect mine anyway, as he will only be 60, and you can't collect social security until you're 62 at the earliest.

What would have happened if your husband could not have found a job? What would the consequences have been? Also, what kind of job did he find since he was white collar and was already retired?
Old 03-14-2018, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsDeeKay View Post

***I was wrong. We were court ordered to HC. Most do actually go through a HWH. My apologies!***

Canít edit original post.... of an admin can add the above or delete the post I would appreciate!!!
Old 03-14-2018, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockchalk1 View Post
Such bogus!

My husbands terms of SR says if he can't find a job then he has to do community service. Someone in his pre-release seminar did ask about if you have to work if you can collect social security and I think the answer was yes, unless you're 65. Of course, it doesn't affect mine anyway, as he will only be 60, and you can't collect social security until you're 62 at the earliest.

What would have happened if your husband could not have found a job? What would the consequences have been? Also, what kind of job did he find since he was white collar and was already retired?

He was told to find a job or they would find one for him.

He is doing consulting full-time for a friendís business. Helping with streamlining the business, marketing, and office management.
Old 03-14-2018, 05:46 PM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 20,322 Times in 11,841 Posts

There are a number of requirements while on SR that are definitely inconvenient, but it is what it is, and it will end. It is required that he follow his PO's rules religiously. The punishment for violating any condition of SR can be a return to prison, even though the entire initial prison sentence has already been served.

If they are receiving a work pension, Social Security retirement, or disability benefits, which can be granted or reinstated while on supervised release (but not during home confinement or HWH) that extinguishes the job requirement.
Old 03-14-2018, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbopnomore View Post
Now that the bop is cancelling many existing halfway house contracts as a "cost saving measure", it is much more difficult to be given extended time in one. As an offset (or at least it seems so to me, and I never once heard of it happening during my prison sentence) the bop is sending folks directly from prison to home confinement without any HWH involvement. When that occurs, the HC is supervised by a US Probation Officer. If they go to the HWH first, and then to HC, they are supervised by the halfway house employees.
Which would you recommend? The hwh offer is longer and could maybe be only a few days or weeks since he will have a job? The hc offer is shorter, but is that a better option?
Yes, read through pacer thoroughly. And yes, sadly/unfortunately/unfairly, the personality of the PO, if things continue to go as they have in the past, I'm assuming will also play into the SR.
Editing to say "option" instead of "offer" - meaning what the case manager will recomend. Without knowing anything about the hwh they will go to it seems like a hard decision. Or maybe not?

Last edited by edb00; 03-14-2018 at 06:10 PM..
Old 03-14-2018, 07:55 PM

In my experience and also from others that, if all fines, restitution and court costs are paid in full they are not as bothersome about the job requirement.

My PO asks me about my employment from time to time but, does not or at least to this date has not asked for proof, pay stubs, time cards etc. My PO also has not contacted my boss.

If your husband is only on probation for a year and, he owes no money I think his treatment may be the same.

If they ask him to seek gainful employment I do not really know how strict they will be about checking if he is actually trying to work. Do they ask for copies of job apps? Will they find a job for him? These are questions maybe someone else with experience can answer.
The Following User Says Thank You to worldwide For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (03-14-2018)
Old 03-14-2018, 10:16 PM
Site Moderator

Donation Award 

My decision would depend on the location of the half way house he would be sent to. Maybe his case manager will tell him.

The only HWH on the east coast that I know about is the one in DC, and that is second hand. When I was in FCI Petersburg, Virginia, inmates were sent to that DC HWH, and many of them returned to prison rather than remaining there. Too many drugs and frequent street robberies of "residents" who didn't travel in Taxis were the main complaints.
Old 03-15-2018, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbopnomore View Post
Start by asking your PO. The policy in each office is apparently set by the office supervisor, and even though a judge has to approve early termination, a negative recommendation by your PO usually kills your chances.

With that short of a SR sentence, you will probably meet your PO once at the beginning to learn your restrictions, file 12 monthly reports, and then receive your "completion letter" in the mail. If you owe either fines or restitution, your PO will set a payment schedule and then transfer any remainder to FLU (US Atty's financial litigation unit) to collect.
So I finally looked at a copy of the form you had previously sent. The monthly report. On it, it asks where the person lives and if they own or rent. So here is my question. I (well actually my living trust) owns the house. Not my husband nor anyone else. So, for that question, how does he answer it, since the only choices are own or rent. And are you telling me that every month you have to answer that same bs stuff? I love how they think that each person has only 1 bank account, and if they have more than 1, they barely give enough space to even list the 1 account. Obviously we'll be consistent with the PSR when it asks for bank account of spouse that he may have the benefit of and they can have a field day with that bank account decreasing. Morons. I have to say as a financial person, it is kind of sad if that is the form as it appears to be completely outdated and doesn't ask half of what should be asked. Nothing about retirement assets, and as for the spouse all it asks for is a bank account. I can't remember off the top of my head, but I don't recall it asking about debt, which doesn't seem right because just because I may have $20,000 in the bank, that doesn't mean I don't also have $20,000 in debt, or if he's living in my house, because he doesn't have a rent payment or a mortgage, that doesn't mean that the person who's house he is living in, doesn't owe a mortgage or rent payment, or a minimum in the county I happen to live in exorbitant property taxes!!

Unfortunately, whatever my husband makes when he gets out of prison, it is highly unlikely he will come close to covering our expenses, so not sure what they'll be looking for with my assets, but it's likely they won't be increasing much!
Old 03-15-2018, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockchalk1 View Post
So I finally looked at a copy of the form you had previously sent. The monthly report. On it, it asks where the person lives and if they own or rent. So here is my question. I (well actually my living trust) owns the house. Not my husband nor anyone else. So, for that question, how does he answer it, since the only choices are own or rent. And are you telling me that every month you have to answer that same bs stuff? I love how they think that each person has only 1 bank account, and if they have more than 1, they barely give enough space to even list the 1 account. Obviously we'll be consistent with the PSR when it asks for bank account of spouse that he may have the benefit of and they can have a field day with that bank account decreasing. Morons. I have to say as a financial person, it is kind of sad if that is the form as it appears to be completely outdated and doesn't ask half of what should be asked. Nothing about retirement assets, and as for the spouse all it asks for is a bank account. I can't remember off the top of my head, but I don't recall it asking about debt, which doesn't seem right because just because I may have $20,000 in the bank, that doesn't mean I don't also have $20,000 in debt, or if he's living in my house, because he doesn't have a rent payment or a mortgage, that doesn't mean that the person who's house he is living in, doesn't owe a mortgage or rent payment, or a minimum in the county I happen to live in exorbitant property taxes!!

Unfortunately, whatever my husband makes when he gets out of prison, it is highly unlikely he will come close to covering our expenses, so not sure what they'll be looking for with my assets, but it's likely they won't be increasing much!
If I recall correctly your husband paid restitution in full the fine and $100 special assessment. If this is correct and he owes nothing than they will not delve too deeply into yours or your husbands finances. Generally the point of the questions they ask is to see what you can afford to pay if you owe money. Also, to make sure you are not hiding it or living some Hugh Heffner type lifestyle. I wouldnt read too much into it or overthink the answers.
The Following User Says Thank You to worldwide For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (03-16-2018)
Old 03-15-2018, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldwide View Post
If I recall correctly your husband paid restitution in full the fine and $100 special assessment. If this is correct and he owes nothing than they will not delve too deeply into yours or your husbands finances. Generally the point of the questions they ask is to see what you can afford to pay if you owe money. Also, to make sure you are not hiding it or living some Hugh Heffner type lifestyle. I wouldnt read too much into it or overthink the answers.
Correct, he paid restitution in full about a year before sentencing and paid the $200 fine he was assessed just after sentencing, so any monetary obligations fortunately are completed. His attorney said paying the restitution off would be huge as far as sentencing, I honestly never realized how huge it would be in terms of everything, not just sentencing. That was probably the best take aware from this whole nightmare.

Thank you for the comments. Even if we were hiding money, who cares? Those forms don't provide any type of information to show where an increase of asset could come from. I like fbopnomore's comment of just writing unknown as far as the spouse, because quite frankly, there is stuff of mine that is non-marital that my husband isn't privy to anyway as it's none of his business and only under my control. Oh well, I guess we'll see what happens when it's in front of us in a year.
Old 03-16-2018, 05:49 AM
Site Moderator

Donation Award 

One form for everybody, so it is probably appropriate for just a few. If he has to file the "real" financial report (I didn't owe anything either, but the PO had 3 years to mess with me, so I did) all of those questions plus some I bet you didn't think of will be asked.

With a short period of SR, he may avoid that "benefit".
Old 03-16-2018, 07:29 AM

Kind of funny because these people are primarily social workers who go into this field and have no real financial backgrounds. His P.O. that did the PSR was completely clueless with all those matters.

I even laugh that he has to take a resume class in the prison when he is the one that was reviewing and helping others with their resumes on the outside. Like come on people. Find a better use of your resources and just check the box to not have these people waste their time in prison and your resources with these classes. There are actually classes of interest they can benefit from as opposed to requiring a class of no benefit that some of them can teach or should be teaching. He is teaching a class beginning in April on another topic which is good. Hopefully it’ll be popular as it is something everyone should be versed in anyway.
Old 03-16-2018, 12:12 PM
Site Moderator

Donation Award 

In my release preparation class I was taught how to write a check. I asked "what if I can't spell Two?"
Old 03-16-2018, 01:19 PM

Hopefully they don’t even teach that skill any longer because checks are obsolete. I went with my kids to the bank to open checking accounts and the banks don’t even have checks anymore. They printed temporary ones because I insisted but they only use debit cards since everything is online and they can use electronic checks if need be.
Old 03-16-2018, 01:20 PM

Also more importantly is that they should be teaching computer and technology skills because that is where the jobs are going to be so if. These guys can be trained in these skills they have a better chance at success.
Old 03-16-2018, 04:13 PM
Site Moderator

Donation Award 

Computers and technology for inmates terrify prisons, at least the federal prisons.