Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal Probation, Halfway House and Community Supervision
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Federal Probation, Halfway House and Community Supervision This forum is dedicated to information & discussions relating to U.S. Federal Probation & Community Supervision, including half-way houses.

Old 08-31-2018, 03:09 PM

Default Anyone have experience with Chicago Probation office?

Hi there,

My loved one and I are trying to get their supervised release district transferred so they can go to a halfway house/live in Chicago, instead of Alabama where they caught their case.

My question is: does anyone have experience with the Northern Illinois Probation office, specifically the Chicago office? I have a PO assigned to this transfer request but it is draaaagging on and on and all she keeps telling me is it will probably be approved as I have secured a qualified address for my loved one to live, but it is "too soon" to approve it yet. My loved one's halfway house date told to them by their case manager is DECEMBER 2018!!! I am confused why the Probation Office is taking their sweet time to approve this transfer request.

Any advice or anyone with experience with this specific office and issue, please help!
Sponsored Links
Old 08-31-2018, 03:58 PM

Thanked 1,206 Times in 612 Posts

My husband's PO is out of that office. Do you need the phone number for the main office? He isn't scheduled for release until the end of January, but the did the home visit in May because the guy was ahead with his paper work!

As for the HWH that is a different story. They are completely inefficient from what we've been told and my friend's husband just left. Very inefficient and to be blunt, lazy. Her husband was approved for HC, then got there and they told him they changed their mind. The program director wasn't returning or answering calls from their lawyer. Another HWH resident filed a complaint when the same thing happened to him. They won't allow you out on HC even if you get there approved because they need to do a home inspection, which they then claim they're 6 weeks behind. I'm pretty concerned when my husband gets there, they're going to pull the same bs on, but my husband feels that as long as it's a private room with a door that locks, he can handle it.

The orientation there is also a minimum of 10 days - two weeks, which makes no sense but it's because certain areas don't have their orientation all the time, and it's literally one of those things that you knock on the office door, they give their shpiel and you get the signature.

We've been doing lots of research, so please feel free to pm me.

But just so you know the probation office and HWH are two separate entities, so it's seriously the left doesn't know what the right is doing and the HWH employees work for the Salvation Army who runs the HWH, not the BOP or the USPO. That much I finally confirmed when I was able to get my hands on a copy of their 35 page manual, which is only from July, 2016 so we don't even know if this is the most recent version.

Also, there's a rumor that beginning tomorrow you can have smart phones, but now I've heard it's only a rumor and not confirmed.

Actually, here is the number for the US Parole Office in Chicago - 312-435-5700 and the entire directory with extensions is here http://www.ilnp.uscourts.gov/pdfs/Pr...nPhoneList.pdf

Last edited by rockchalk1; 08-31-2018 at 04:00 PM..
Old 08-31-2018, 06:04 PM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 20,350 Times in 11,851 Posts

The local US Probation Office is deadline-driven. The fact that the PO assigned to his transfer request says it will be approved is a good thing.

Processing my transfer request to Seattle included a home visit by two POs, and it was approved in time for me to be sent to a HWH there (instead of Florida) and then transition to supervised release in that office.