Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal Probation, Halfway House and Community Supervision
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Federal Probation, Halfway House and Community Supervision This forum is dedicated to information & discussions relating to U.S. Federal Probation & Community Supervision, including half-way houses.

Old 07-23-2018, 09:34 PM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 20,352 Times in 11,852 Posts
Default BOP Half Way House rule book for residents

These HWH rule books used by the bop are very difficult to find online. This 25 page Resident's Handbook from Clackamas, Oregon has already been taken down.

Each HWH is a private business, but they all operate under the bop rules, so these are similar to all of the others..
Attached Files
File Type: docx bop Half Way House resident rules.docx (66.4 KB, 32 views)

Last edited by fbopnomore; 07-23-2018 at 09:37 PM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fbopnomore For This Useful Post:
Fallen1700 (08-15-2018), Minor activist (07-24-2018)
Sponsored Links
Old 07-25-2018, 10:37 PM

Thanked 1,454 Times in 797 Posts

Here's another one, from Portland OR:

http://www.nw-rrc.org/wp-content/upl...t-Handbook.pdf
fbopnomore (07-26-2018)
Old 08-15-2018, 10:51 PM

WOW!!! Impressive!! SO darn hard to come by!
The Following User Says Thank You to Fallen1700 For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (08-16-2018)
Old 08-16-2018, 09:01 AM

Thanked 1,207 Times in 612 Posts

My husband actually finally found the "current" one for Chicago at the prison in the library. Supposedly, every time they get it, someone takes it and it's stolen, so this time the woman wouldn't let him take it out of there, but she told him if he could find someone to let him copy it, then that was ok and his CO in Education that he works for, did, so he finally has a copy. Now we'll see how accurate it is, relative to what people there have been telling me.

I honestly don't know what the big secret is about the HWH's. But just like this site is out there for people to gain information from, people should definitely post their experiences and knowledge as it pertains to the HWH. We definitely will when we get to that point.

In my friend's husband's case, even though he was approved for HC, they are telling him the BOP changed their mind and he can't go home. They also aren't approving him for work (at his own company) because his company had also been fined as part of his plea agreement (they're losing $102/day because of it). He has no SR after his sentence ends which is September 6. So instead, he is just sitting there bored to death. The one thing they will allow him to do is schedule Dr. appointments, so that is what he is going to start doing. It is a complete joke, because in 3 weeks, they know he is going right back to his company, so you would think they would want to get some of that money! But, nope too much red tape and too much paperwork for them to deal with to want to go through and do it. They also won't approve him for a home visit even though he's finished the orientation (which by the way, they made him also meet with the parole office, even though he has no parole!!), because they haven't done a home visit, because supposedly they're 6 weeks behind on the home visits!!

I just know this is going to be a nightmare when my husband is on deck, but the only saving grace is that we know this HWH once inside is safe, the neighborhood not so much so, so if he is stuck sucking it up there, then I guess he will get 3 meals a day, a private room, and he has plenty of things to do to occupy his time. That's cheaper than him sitting here twiddling his thumbs, since I don't think the job he is going to have lined up, they will approve based on what is happening to my friend's husband, so why bother? He can catch up on his tons of Dr appointments too!

Bureaucracies...smh!! I was a teacher, and my ex-husband works for the State. I shouldn't be surprised!
Old 08-16-2018, 10:31 AM
Site Moderator

Donation Award 

Even though they won't let him work at the job he will have when he is released from the HWH, he will be required to search for a job that they will approve. I know some guys who were sent to the DC HWH. They had to come and go in taxis or be robbed.

All of the bureaucracies I have experienced made ridiculous decisions, but none were even close to the irrationality of the bop. I am convinced that many of their dictates were made because they knew how negatively it would impact the prisoners and their families.
Old 08-16-2018, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbopnomore View Post
Even though they won't let him work at the job he will have when he is released from the HWH, he will be required to search for a job that they will approve. I know some guys who were sent to the DC HWH. They had to come and go in taxis or be robbed.

All of the bureaucracies I have experienced made ridiculous decisions, but none were even close to the irrationality of the bop. I am convinced that many of their dictates were made because they knew how negatively it would impact the prisoners and their families.
Totally agree with you on that one.

So far, my friend's husband that is in there they haven't made go look for a job, so he is still sitting there doing nothing.

The hoops to jump through for job approval is ridiculous. I suppose my husband can do the same thing, fill out all the paper work for the job he's going to do when he's done, wait for them to not approve it, then move on to another job he can do and have them not approve that one either, and then just keep going from job to job. Eventually, they'll give up or let him work the job it sounds like. It also appears from what I've heard from multiple people that they're pretty lazy there, so they don't want to fill out the paperwork and just let the guy(s) sit and do nothing. Fortunately, they get private rooms with locks, and he is supposed to be on HC without the condition of a job in order to go to HC so we will make sure that is on his paperwork or otherwise his lawyer will be on top of it with the RRM and BOP (I now have been given the information with who to contact regarding that).

But clearly, the idea of re-integrating into society is a farce, especially for the poor guys who really need it.

By the way, if the person has no money, how do they take a taxi anywhere? I don't think they even let them take taxis. I think they make them take the bus everywhere. My friend heard them yelling at a woman who was going to be late to her job that she had to take a bus, even though she wanted to take a taxi. They made her come there to sign something and because of that she was going to be late, but they told her too bad, and to take the bus regardless. But if no job, and no money, where do they get fare for the bus or any transportation? They obviously can't uber/lyft, unless I'm arranging that for him from my end, and if it's a day I'm working, I'm not free to do that, and regardless, some guys must have no $ at all, so then what?
Old 08-17-2018, 07:21 AM
Site Moderator

Donation Award 

It depends on the HWH. Mine allowed taxis, and even let some "residents" have their own cars. If they don't have money, they won't be taking a taxi.

The HWH did hand out bus passes, but only after answering lots of questions, to their satisfaction.
Old 08-17-2018, 11:34 AM

Quote:
It depends on the HWH. Mine allowed taxis, and even let some "residents" have their own cars. If they don't have money, they won't be taking a taxi.

The HWH did hand out bus passes, but only after answering lots of questions, to their satisfaction.
It's really not, but it's almost laughable. How is this helping to re-integrate anyone into society? So the latest is they tell my friend's husband he still isn't approved to go back to work at his company, the one he owns. Mind you, he has 3 weeks left on his sentence and no SR. So they're not letting him go to HC which he was approved for in prison, they're saying now he is no longer approved, made him go through orientation for 2 weeks including meeting with the parole person, even though he has no parole/SR, won't approve his job, so they won't get their $102/day, and the kicker is that yesterday they told him they wanted him to take a basic internet skills class and resume writing class. He told them no. They said they really think he should take it, and again he said no. That was that. I mean how stupid. The guy has his own company, he is the boss, and they're going to make him take a resume writing class? Give me a break. Talk about a waste of resources.

They do allow cars there, he is going to have one soon. The one thing they did approve for him immediately, was a Dr appointment without issue. Another former inmate that was with them at Duluth, also told me Dr appointments are not an issue at all. So, that tells me that something must have happened there previously that they were sued, or they don't want to be sued by not letting someone go to the Dr.

So, this guy who is bored shitless, is going to the Dr next week, driving himself, and not going to work, just sitting around twiddling his thumbs. Yet, this place is still better than Duluth. Private, clean rooms, with doors that lock! His wife is pissed she went and got a land line put in, which seems to be a complete waste of time and money. I don't blame her, since that seems to be something they will not need. In 3 weeks he walks out of there, he goes back to his company, and he is done with the BOP forever. I continue to shake my head. Oh, and they let him go to synagogue once/week and have visitors each week. I forgot that.

I have already started to schedule my husband's Dr visits for February when he is supposed to be on HC. I guess if they pull the same crap on him and don't let him get home, it sounds like they will at least let him go to the Dr's if anything. Based on their not approving her husbands job, I think they probably won't approve my husband's either as the guy who has some work for him happens to be involved in a lawsuit with the SEC, and while it has nothing to do with my husband or his former work, I assume the BOP doesn't want you to work for any entity involved in a lawsuit, which is the issue with this other guy too. So, I guess no money from us either. Fine, if they want to keep my husband and let him live there for free, go ahead. That's actually cheaper than sending him home to HC and not letting him work that same job either since his expenses here will cost us more than in the HWH.

Again, SMH over this nonsense! He wants to work and can work and be a productive member of society. So again, what are they doing to re-integrate these guys into society? Absolutely nothing.

This HWH is run by the Salvation Army. I'm not sure if that means these people are also all employed by them or the BOP, but I will definitely think twice when it comes to making donations every Christmas when I hear that bell at the grocery store!! Speaking of, is there a forum on here with a list of charities for incarcerated related issues?
Old 08-17-2018, 04:10 PM
Site Moderator

Donation Award 

Nothing will be certain until his end of sentence date. He will either have to get a pass for every time he leaves home confinement, or if he is lucky (as I was) he will have a 6PM to 6AM curfew.

Even doctor's appointments aren't certain, I had a HWH pass for an appointment, and was entering a taxi when the bop community corrections manager ran up (as if I was escaping from a penitentiary) and began questioning me about why I was going to a doctor. I asked if he was going to give me a second opinion? He blubbered for a bit, and then told the cab driver he was allowed to leave. I hoped the bop had put him in that job to keep him away from actual prisoners.
Old 08-17-2018, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Nothing will be certain until his end of sentence date. He will either have to get a pass for every time he leaves home confinement, or if he is lucky (as I was) he will have a 6PM to 6AM curfew.

Even doctor's appointments aren't certain, I had a HWH pass for an appointment, and was entering a taxi when the bop community corrections manager ran up (as if I was escaping from a penitentiary) and began questioning me about why I was going to a doctor. I asked if he was going to give me a second opinion? He blubbered for a bit, and then told the cab driver he was allowed to leave. I hoped the bop had put him in that job to keep him away from actual prisoners.
Fortunately at this HWH the permission to go to Dr appointments seems to be one thing they donít hassle you over. I have to decide if I want to leave a car down there for him or not or if I want to get him. Iím more inclined to just have one of my kids help me go down there and leave a car and we manage short a car but there will be 4 of us drivers sharing while he has one just for him which doesnít make sense. My son starts a sport in February that he has to be at practice at 545am and if my husband isnít home with the car then Iíll have to take my son. So it becomes the lesser of two evils. Getting up at some ungodly hour to carpool and then to school or chauffeur hubby downtown back and forth to his appointments. Thereís no bus from downtown to the burbs. If he took a train he would still need transportation to/from the train station and the whole trip could take 2+ hours, uber or a cab would be too expensive. Some of the days are holidays so I wonít have work so that frees me up and makes it easier but what do people who are single or have no family or support do? Scary world out there for guys who really want to do better.