Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal Prison Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Federal Prison Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail Use this forum to discuss Federal prison Visitation info & issues, Phones, Packages & Mail issues & topics.

Old 01-31-2017, 12:42 PM

Exclamation Sending Letters from Federal Inmate to County Jail Inmate

Hello everyone. I need some advice on what to do. I got a letter from someone that my LO knows. He's at the same federal prison my LO is in and he attached a letter and told me to send the letter to a friend of his who is in the county jail where he is from. He included his name and address but not his inmate number. He also wanted me to keep them connected if I can. Would it be fine to do this or should I write back to the person that knows my LO and tell him that I'm unable to do it and recommend that he can write him himself? One thing is telling me to do this but at the same time, I'm also thinking that I need to find out everything first since I don't want to get in trouble. Thank you for reading and answering my question.

Last edited by mariaacharles; 01-31-2017 at 12:47 PM..
Sponsored Links
Old 01-31-2017, 02:00 PM

I strongly recommend that you DO NOT get involved in forwarding letters.

I have no idea what the rules are for the county jail but many jails and prisons forbid any 3rd party communications and specifically prohibit forwarding of mail and/or messages.

You could easily end up in trouble yourself for doing this. If detected, it wouldn't surprise me if you were no longer allowed any communications or visits with your LO.

It isn't worth the risk

R. Mc.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to rmc50 For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (01-31-2017), Fridyrr.Likn (01-31-2017), OnlyInTexas (01-31-2017), patchouli (01-31-2017), sass4221 (01-31-2017)
Old 01-31-2017, 02:05 PM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 19,947 Times in 11,662 Posts

He can send the letter himself, but the receiving jail may have a policy against accepting mail from inmates. If he was writing to another federal prisoner, it would require approvals from both wardens, but I received letters from a state prison (stamped on the front, sent by an inmate at that prison), and wrote back too.
Old 01-31-2017, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbopnomore View Post
He can send the letter himself, but the receiving jail may have a policy against accepting mail from inmates. If he was writing to another federal prisoner, it would require approvals from both wardens, but I received letters from a state prison (stamped on the front, sent by an inmate at that prison), and wrote back too.
I was looking at the county jail website to see what the policy is for writing to another inmate and I couldn't find the information there. I was thinking about calling the county jail to ask but I'm not sure if I should
Old 01-31-2017, 07:57 PM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 19,947 Times in 11,662 Posts

I don't see how that would hurt anything, and if they tell you there is no restriction in place, it will get you out of the middle of the problem.