Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > BREAK TIME > Continuing and Adult Education
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Continuing and Adult Education Discuss college and continuing education.

Old 11-27-2013, 06:48 PM

Default Maiden Last name Vs Married Last name On Degree. What to do?

I'm really torn right now. I have to fill out the paperwork for what name I want on my diploma/degree for graduation. My husband and I have been married a little under two years right now. My Parents have always been so supportive and encouraging about me getting my education. And I will be getting my Bachelor of Science in Psychology at the end of next term. My parents, especially my dad had a hard time dealing with my marriage to my husband at first, though they liked him and have known him way before his incarceration .... They did not like the situation, which I understood. But slowly over time they have accepted it and now their relationship with my husband has improved greatly. My issue is that part of me wants to add my maiden name onto my degree before my married name out of respect for my parents and I know it would mean a lot to my dad. So instead of it saying just my name and last name..... It would say for example (this is not my real name) "Amy Jones-Smith" instead of just "Amy Smith". But then I think it might offend my husband and hurt his feelings that I'm not embracing my new name and the family I'm a part of now and also my maiden name is not even my legal name anymore so it could get confusing when it comes to job issues and other issues. Any advice would be appreciated. Or if anyone has dealt with issues of having a different name on their degree. Thank you.

Last edited by S&F1403; 11-27-2013 at 06:51 PM..
Sponsored Links
Old 11-27-2013, 08:02 PM
Account Closed

Pumpkin Hunt Winner 2014 

Thanked 1,280 Times in 512 Posts

I think I would put what your real legal name is now.
Old 11-27-2013, 08:38 PM

What's so offensive about putting your legal name on your certificate or diploma if your maiden name is a part of it? If not, here's something else that you might want to consider. My colleagues normally keep their maiden names IF they attain their terminal degree in their field before they got married. This is because it's convenient, or necessary at times, for them to demonstrate their educational accomplishment when they apply for a license and/or certificate in their professional fields. I have a bachelor's degree in psychology too, and it's hard to imagine that this will be your terminal degree if you plan to make a career out of it. When you advance yourself in the field, you might want to consider putting your actual legal name on the certificate(s) and diploma(s) at a given time. Many professionals in our field sign their names on professional paperwork (evaluation reports, legal paper if you testify for your client, etc.) as they appear on the certificate of their highest degree or credential. This is just something to think about other than how your parents or husband feel.
The Following User Says Thank You to OnTheMissions For This Useful Post:
S&F1403 (11-28-2013)
Old 11-27-2013, 08:52 PM
moving forward...

Thanked 1,926 Times in 951 Posts

Married name, it's your legal name and who you are now. Your parents will understand probably before your husband would.
Congrats on the degree!
Old 12-05-2013, 11:35 PM

PTOQ Editorial Team Member Superstar of the Year 

Donation Award 

Thanked 3,923 Times in 1,592 Posts

I used my maiden name professionally and hyphenated in my personal life. Since I had worked all of my adult life using my maiden name, when I graduated with my Master's it only made sense for my maiden name to be on my degree (MSW). Since your field is psychology, this may be a way that you will go as well. When my daughter was young, I was employed as a CPS worker and had one particularly volatile client who was making detailed and near-constant threats on my life. I was very glad that I was using my maiden name, as it made things much more difficult to identify her as my daughter--unless you were intended to know.

I have since divorced, and am even happier that I decided to use my maiden name professionally. It kept my daughter safer and my personal and professional lives a little more separate. Bottom line, do what makes the most sense to you & makes you happy. You worked hard for your degree; this is a time to celebrate! Congratulations.

So...What's your point?

The Following User Says Thank You to InsomniaCT For This Useful Post:
S&F1403 (12-09-2013)
Old 04-28-2014, 06:47 AM

PTO Moderator 

Thanked 3,366 Times in 1,281 Posts

I use a hyphenated name too. It works well.
Old 04-28-2014, 06:52 AM
Super Moderator

PTO Super Moderator Pumpkin Hunt Participant 2014 Easter Egg Hunt 2013 - Participant 

Donation Award 

Thanked 30,561 Times in 11,008 Posts

Drop your middle name and use your birth name and then your husband's.
Old 04-28-2014, 06:31 PM

Thanked 11,058 Times in 5,991 Posts

FWIW, most schools keep a supply of blanks for MANY years, so you can likely get it updated somewhere down the road. I know many people that have done that on everything from Associates degrees to their Juris Doctor (law degree).