Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > MICHIGAN > Michigan Parole, Probation, Halfway Houses, Employment, etc.
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Michigan Parole, Probation, Halfway Houses, Employment, etc. All information & questions relating to parole, probation, community service, half-way houses, and ex-offender employment in Michigan should be posted here.

Old 02-19-2006, 05:11 AM

Default Waiving Parole Hearing-How will it be viewed by the board in the future?

If an inmate chooses to waive their right to a parole hearing, do you think it would be looked upon negatively the next time the inmate went to the board?

David and I discussed this on our visit and had different opinions. He is interested in the PTO opinion.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-20-2006, 01:21 AM
Marc

I think that depends on the crime, for a violent crime I would not reccomend it at all. I also think that the parole board has already made up their mind before you see them. About 2 days before I was due to go in front of them they sent me my parole without having to see them but the other guys I seen that waved their rights to a hearing got flops and knew they had them coming, I would reccomend NOT waiving it and going thru it.

Marc
Old 02-21-2006, 08:17 AM

My son tells me that some of the guys, after receiving numerous flops waived their parole hearings and some received paroles. Some of the guys were like "I have done everything I can do and yet I still get flopped why bother?"

I think he should perhaps, talk with his counselor?

Jodi
The state of Michigan has 17,000 inmates incarcerated beyond their release date. Costing taxpayers 497 MILLION dollars a year. That would fund alot of education! Outraged? Contact your Senators, Representatives and Governor!
Old 02-21-2006, 02:00 PM
Clueless Michigan Member
Donation Award 

I know that my ex and I have talked about it. He said that if he got a flop that he would waive his next hearing because he thinks the board isn't listening to what he has to say anyway. I disagree with him. I think that he should continue to go in front of the board and make his case. I think the board wants to see that he doesn't give up and that he will keep working at it until they let him out. It is my understanding that the majority of the votes for parole or denial are already casts before they see the board so I guess you could argue it either way. I recommend seeing the board. Just my 2 cents

Old 02-21-2006, 05:38 PM

Thanks for your opinions. David is really on edge (to put it nicely) about not having AOP after trying for 3 years to get it. He says he hears all they do is knock you down and without AOP he'll get a flop so why bother. My thought is, if nothing else, use it as an experience to get acquainted with how the process works and you at least have to give it a try.
Old 02-21-2006, 05:45 PM
~BELIEVE~7-10-06~
Donation Award 

...my guy was flopped 3 times and each time he had a parole hearing...he pushed himself to have a better one each time for himself...because he figured...if they are going to flop em'...they are going to flop 'em...
Old 02-28-2006, 10:10 PM
GeoMofo

I cannot stress how important I think it is that he go see the board, even knowing full well that he will probably get flopped because he hasn't finished AOP. As a recently paroled felon I speak from some experience. I saw the board twice. The first time (b4 my ERD in 2004) I was still in the middle of group therapy. I expected a flop but still went. I think that the experience of going the first time, helped me monumentally for preparing for the second parole interview (2005). It is without question that he will be nervous, anxious, and perhaps eexperience a lot of emotions & thoughts that may overwhealm him & impede his ability to say what he wants to say. That happened to me, especially the first time. I was nervous & wasn't able to effectively communicate what I wanted to get across to them. BUT, the second time (after group) I was more prepared for: 1. How the process works 2. Some of the potential questions he may ask & answers I want to give 3. The personality of the parole board member (I saw the same guy twice & he remembered me) 4. Relaxing & speaking from the heart.
So in conclusion, for what its worth, I chalked up the first interview as a "practice run" for the one that sprung me. I feel no matter what, it is always a better idea to particpate rather than withdraw. This may be looked at as hostile or giving up from the perspective of the parole board member & believe me, you do not want that.
Any more questions, concerns, or just support needed please feel free to contact me. I will return your correspondance ASAP. Good luck & God bless you & yours.
-GEO