Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > PENNSYLVANIA > Pennsylvania Visitation, Prison Phones, Packages & Mail
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Pennsylvania Visitation, Prison Phones, Packages & Mail Topics / Information relating to the Pennsylvania Department of Corrections and local / county Jail visitation, phone calls, mail, inmate care packages, etc.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-30-2018, 07:51 AM

PTO Moderator 

Thanked 2,229 Times in 1,237 Posts
Default Smart Communications for DOC mail

This thread will be for posts related to your experiences with the new mail policy.

Smart Communications is a Florida-based "family owned" company. The "family" are former corrections workers, and one of their job titles includes the term "lieutenant." Enough said.

While the DOC promised that any mail returned to the sender would have an explanation attached, that isn't the case. I send about ten letters per week to inmates around PA; most have comes back simply stamped "Return to Sender." There is no pattern as to which ones were delivered and which ones were returned even though my PC addresses all the envelopes the same way.

You can go to the Smart Communications website here: www.mailguardtracker.com. You can then create a "Mail Guard" account which allows you to track the mail you send and see when it is delivered. They also say you will see when mail is rejected and why as well as be able to retrieve an electronic copy. You will be issued a "MG#" that you place in your return address.

With a bit of digging, I found their phone number: 888-253-5178. I suggest people call them whenever something is rejected and also document the rejection. The more they reject mail, the stronger the push to change the policy.

I emailed them about the seven unopened letters that came back to my box on the same day and they quickly reached out to me for pictures of the envelopes.

Beware that the address you use to send mail is not identical to the one you are asked to use! The inmate return address puts his name and DOC number on the second line and the facility name on the third; you are supposed to do the opposite. I don't know if this is the reason they are rejecting mail but it's one of the questions we are submitting to both them and the DOC.

Please post your experiences and concerns here so that we can work together.

Bob
dbruce16947 (10-08-2018), Ms. Amnesia (10-01-2018), patchouli (09-30-2018), waitinguntil001 (10-01-2018)
Sponsored Links