Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > LOVING A... > Loving a Lifer
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Loving a Lifer For those whose loved one is serving a life sentence.

Old 07-17-2012, 07:04 PM
Day BY Day

Thanked 2,457 Times in 1,091 Posts
Default Creative ways he can be involved

Some time ago, you may remember a thread about how our lifers can participate in milestones in life and how their presence can be made stronger at special events, I got some great suggestions and we came up with some on our own....Well I just wanted to update with some things we have recently done and ideas that can be used...

With our grandbaby right around the corner family tradition is for each of the babies to get a homemade blanket...well I took bunches of pictures of fabric at the store and grandpa picked out the fabric from the photos and I did the sewing....Grandpa did a parenting class that was available to him & sent the lessons home to our daughter in law throughout the pregnancy, with comments and suggestions, memories from when the kids were growing up that related to the lesson written on them....
Even creating and drawing baby shower invitations and you can take them to kinko's and get copies made.....
Also since He picked out the fabric for the blanket he knows how the baby's room will be done so he can draw a picture that will be framed and put in the room (I haven't gotten that one yet, but I know it will be beautiful)

Those are just some of the things that we did recently and I really think it has helped the bond with the kids and Him...
cottage style (07-18-2012), froggie01 (07-17-2012), Honeypopbee (07-25-2012), jenilynn (07-18-2012), Rachel C (07-20-2012), Sheryl P. (07-18-2012), SusanWayward (07-17-2012), traviesita (07-18-2012), Vintagejen77 (12-17-2012)
Sponsored Links
Old 07-17-2012, 08:06 PM

That was great ways to include him. Thank you for sharing. It's very sweet for him to fully participate the best ways he can
The Following User Says Thank You to froggie01 For This Useful Post:
Inhishands (07-18-2012)
Old 07-18-2012, 09:24 AM

PTO Moderator 

Thanked 1,421 Times in 679 Posts

Wow! That is impressive! Thanks so much for sharing! Have anymore?

Michele
Inhishands (07-18-2012)
Old 07-18-2012, 10:25 AM
Day BY Day

Thanked 2,457 Times in 1,091 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by froggie01 View Post
That was great ways to include him. Thank you for sharing. It's very sweet for him to fully participate the best ways he can
Yes I am very blessed He actually is going all out, we have had some bumps lately with the children building a little resentment because he is not able to be there for things, and it has been a very eventful year for our family, weddings, babies, just about every big milestone there is in life has happened in each of the kids lives, so this has been great for all of them, .....well the ones that "allow" him to participate are getting very blessed and the one that doesn't acknowledge Dad or his participation and desire to share in these events...well He's sure missing out...

Last edited by Inhishands; 07-18-2012 at 10:39 AM..
Old 07-19-2012, 11:55 AM

My buddy of 6 years is now expressing an interest in studying the Bible. He's in ASU so I can't have long visits of discussing passages with him, so what I'm doing is mailing him the highly-detailed sermon notes that my pastor gives us for every Sunday's message. I told him now he's "going to church" with my family because he's getting the whole sermon that we're getting on Sunday!

I also "take him with us" on family vacations, sending him letters that describe in minute detail the beach, or the forest, etc. and what he did there and how much he enjoyed it. I'm a sometime writer, so I'm good at working in all the details of how he participated in our vacations. He loves it-- every bit of imagination that I can share with him does him a world of good, since he has no radio or TV.
Mt. 25:34-36... "...'Come, you who are blessed by my Father...For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in...I was in prison and you came to visit me.'"
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LBee For This Useful Post:
Rachel C (07-20-2012), traviesita (07-19-2012)
Old 07-20-2012, 09:38 AM
one day at a time

Wow that's wonderful. He sounds like such a creative artistic individual. Thanks for sharing that with us. What a wonderful idea.
Old 07-20-2012, 04:16 PM
Banned
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inhishands View Post
With our grandbaby right around the corner family tradition is for each of the babies to get a homemade blanket...well I took bunches of pictures of fabric at the store and grandpa picked out the fabric from the photos
I don't know if it would be possible, but here's an idea...

You know the fabrics that make up the baby blanket.. that your loved one chose... would it be possible to use very small squares of that fabric to make up a mini blanket? To make a replica of the one the baby has..
Something tiny.. maybe as small as the size of your palm.. from the the actual blanket. And then send it to him.

I'm guessing it wont be allowed. Even that small... BUT.. how about sending it to the warden with an explanation? Maybe the warden, once seeing it was harmless.. and so small.. with your beautiful explanation above.. allow it.
What's to lose except a few off-cuts?

Last edited by uk599905; 07-20-2012 at 04:18 PM..
Old 08-03-2012, 05:35 PM

With my little ones who still believe in Santa Clause, when we write the North Pole, they always think it is awesome that we mail them off, and Santa writes back!
The Following User Says Thank You to RG's girl For This Useful Post:
Vintagejen77 (12-17-2012)
Old 10-11-2017, 10:13 AM

I like these ideas-neat! Gives me other ideas too..It's tricky, but good and necessary to include our loved ones in our lives as much as possible, despite them being away.
Old 10-12-2017, 10:05 AM
Account Closed
Donation Award 

They have changed the mail process in Virginia now in the way that they copy everything that comes through the mail. He gets a black and white copy and they shred the originals. Yeah. I know. :-( I send him color photos through JPay but what has given him the most joy is this. I signed up for alllllll the online services where you can upload photos and make photo books. I get a ton of emails with coupons always so every couple of months, I take all the photos that I've taken from places I've been and things I've done and send it to him. Since it is delivered from the manufacturer, they consider it property and not "mail."
Old 10-15-2017, 06:48 PM

Every year my LO and I use a sentence/saying from one of our letters, emails, or cards to engrave on a Christmas ornament that 'we' pick out. (I send a picture of a couple ornament choices to him so he can choose one.) It makes for a lovely, sentimental tree!
--side bar idea, we also pick lotto numbers together and I happily play them!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GP&CPC15 For This Useful Post:
Inhishands (10-18-2017), Taliba00 (10-21-2017)