Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR "OFFENDERS" > Headed to Prison
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Headed to Prison Dedicated to those who are facing incarceration. What to expect; what you can do to prepare; Q&A's; support.

Old 08-20-2017, 03:12 PM

Default Sentenced to FBOP, where will I go?

I have a question. I along with some of my coworkers were recently found guilty of conspiracy.I was sentenced to 3yrs in federal prison...I have searched all of the internet and cannot find a women's federal prison in nc..Does anyone have any info? Still awaiting the letter to self surrender
Sponsored Links
Old 08-20-2017, 03:22 PM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 14,245 Times in 5,450 Posts

The BOP frequently houses inmates in a state other than that of sentencing. If there isn't a women's facility in NC, you will be assigned elsewhere. If your self-surrender instructions are for an out-of-state facility, you will need to find a way to get there. I'm not overly familiar with BOP policies, so hopefully someone will come along with more explicit advice but until then, here is a link to the listing of female housing for the BOP.

Welcome to PTO.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
abcsouth (09-22-2017), bellisq (08-20-2017), fbopnomore (08-20-2017)
Old 08-20-2017, 04:17 PM

Thanked 1,088 Times in 604 Posts

Oh, and phone the US Marshalls if the letter doesn't get to you soon.

There is a chance they will send you where the judge recommended. They do not have to and often do not.
fbopnomore (08-20-2017), miamac (08-20-2017)
Old 08-20-2017, 06:01 PM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 17,329 Times in 10,457 Posts

Welcome to Prison Talk. Being allowed to self surrender directly to prison, regardless of where that prison turns out to be located, is a huge benefit for you. You can request a transfer to a different prison from your bop unit team after 18 months of clear conduct, meaning no conduct shots, but don't expect to actually be moved until you receive the official notification.

You will earn 141 days (about 4 1/2 months) of regular good time off of your 36 month sentence, and you may get to spend the last part of your remaining sentence in a half way house, or even living at home on home confinement instead of in a prison. Maximum time because of the Second Chance Act is one year, but 10% of your sentence is more likely.
Old 08-20-2017, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headhunglow View Post
I have a question. I along with some of my coworkers were recently found guilty of conspiracy.I was sentenced to 3yrs in federal prison...I have searched all of the internet and cannot find a women's federal prison in nc..Does anyone have any info? Still awaiting the letter to self surrender
Did your judge put any particular prison recommendation on your sentencing order? While the BOP doesn't have to follow those, this will at least give you an idea of the type of distance you may be looking at so you can prepare yourself mentally.

The BOP has a policy statement that they try to place you within 500 (straight line air) miles from home, but there are many experiences of being designated a greater distance away.

Unfortunately, you will likely end up in another state with plenty of people from other states. I'm in a similar situation to you in that I too have co-defendants, and I know where their designations are. Some are designated about 450 driving miles away, another 400 miles away in a different direction, and I'm designated about 550 driving miles away.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dissonance For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (08-21-2017)
Old 09-15-2017, 05:54 PM

Unfortunately The BOP will send you wherever they dam well please recommendation or not. I am speaking from a perspective of a former male prisoner but I cant imagine it is any better on the female end. There are fewer female prisons so I imagine a lot less places to chose from. Keep in mind distance means nothing to the BOP and good luck transferring after 18 Mo's they work at there own pace. The good news is you will adapt wherever you go, It gets easier after a few months and you learn the ropes. The distance from where you would like to be becomes small potato's compared with prison life in general. Just be prepared to travel a distance when you are required to surrender. The fact you are being allowed to self surrender though is good news. as they tend to keep self surrenders closer to home. That's just my experience.
The Following User Says Thank You to rentryAsuccess For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (09-15-2017)
Old 09-15-2017, 06:40 PM

Default headhunglow

Quote:
Originally Posted by rentryAsuccess View Post
Unfortunately The BOP will send you wherever they dam well please recommendation or not. I am speaking from a perspective of a former male prisoner but I cant imagine it is any better on the female end. There are fewer female prisons so I imagine a lot less places to chose from. Keep in mind distance means nothing to the BOP and good luck transferring after 18 Mo's they work at there own pace. The good news is you will adapt wherever you go, It gets easier after a few months and you learn the ropes. The distance from where you would like to be becomes small potato's compared with prison life in general. Just be prepared to travel a distance when you are required to surrender. The fact you are being allowed to self surrender though is good news. as they tend to keep self surrenders closer to home. That's just my experience.
She reported to Alderson on Wednesday to begin her 36 month sentence. I spoke with her just before she reported. She knows that she will be ok. It is just very hard as we all know.
The Following User Says Thank You to matrock130 For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (09-16-2017)
Old 09-15-2017, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headhunglow View Post
hello there is not one. I live in NC was convicted in August. Self surrender to Alderson WV next month
The Following User Says Thank You to shaknyce For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (09-16-2017)
Old 10-12-2017, 12:12 AM

I was sentenced yesterday to 27 mths. and they are letting me self surrender about how long will it take me to receive my letter stating where I will surrender? Also how long after getting the letter do they give you to self surrender? And do I need my eight digit inmate register number before I surrender, if so how do I get it?
Old 10-12-2017, 04:48 AM

Hello my lawyer asked for 60 days when I was sentenced I received my letter about 4 weeks after sentencing. I surrender in less than 3 wreks
Old 10-12-2017, 04:50 AM

Sorry didn’t see the 2nd part you can find your registry number online at BOP website in a bout a week do the inmate look up and search for yourself
Minor activist (10-21-2017)
Old 10-21-2017, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystal1178 View Post
I was sentenced yesterday to 27 mths. and they are letting me self surrender about how long will it take me to receive my letter stating where I will surrender? Also how long after getting the letter do they give you to self surrender? And do I need my eight digit inmate register number before I surrender, if so how do I get it?
I have all the same questions ... I am waiting for my attorney and prosecutor to come to an agreement for my plea deal .. it is in the first offer to self surrender .. I have never been in trouble a day in my life .. mine is federal so I am trying to find out as much as possible and what to expect
Old 10-21-2017, 12:06 PM

This book is by people who were in Federal minimum security: https://www.amazon.com/Girls-Guide-F...al+prison+camp It's full of very practical information including what to do and what not to do to stay on good terms with the people you're stuck with.

Bottom line, the most likely experience from all I've read here and elsewhere is a crumbling one-star resort staffed by people who don't care.

Get all pending dental work done now.

Last edited by Minor activist; 10-21-2017 at 12:07 PM.. Reason: Restore paragraph breaks
The Following User Says Thank You to Minor activist For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (10-21-2017)
Old 10-21-2017, 01:28 PM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 17,329 Times in 10,457 Posts

Welcome to Prison Talk. Here's a link to the 37 page sticky about FBOP's minimum security camps that house females, which contains lots of information about what you can expect as an inmate.
http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/sho...=50568&page=37

Prison conditions and rules are custody level specific, and the bop does have female prisons that are rated higher than "minimum" camp level, so try not to confuse the posts about them. Once you know where you are headed, you can review the inmate rules (A&O Handbook), commissary and visitation rules too, on the bop web page under the "locations" tab.
https://www.bop.gov/
Old 10-21-2017, 01:49 PM

Absolutely you should study the A&O handbook.

After that, come here and ask where it's inaccurate.

For example, the Atwood handbook says everyone starts their first job in food services, but that's actually unusual.

Then there was one A&O handbook I read which opened with "You will be treated in a mature and respectful manner".
fbopnomore (10-21-2017)
Old 10-21-2017, 04:44 PM

Well guys my days are dwindling down I report to Alderson on Tuesday to start my 36 month sentence. Hopefully I get into RDAP and cut that time. Spending the last days loving on my daughters.
fbopnomore (10-21-2017)
Old 10-21-2017, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minor activist View Post
Absolutely you should study the A&O handbook.

After that, come here and ask where it's inaccurate.

For example, the Atwood handbook says everyone starts their first job in food services, but that's actually unusual.

Then there was one A&O handbook I read which opened with "You will be treated in a mature and respectful manner".
Oops! I remembered wrong. It actually said "mature and responsible". That was for the satellite camp at Texarkana.
Old 10-21-2017, 07:10 PM

[quote=Crystal1178;7669474]
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaknyce View Post
hello there is not one. I live in NC was convicted in August. Self surrender to Alderson WV next month[/quo

How long did it take them to send you your letter to self surrender and how long before you had to go to the prison to do so

Did you take a plea deal ??? I am waiting right now for the prosecutor to let my attorney know if he will accept our counter offer .. this has me tore up !!
The Following User Says Thank You to DeniseDG For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (10-22-2017)
Old 10-21-2017, 08:52 PM

Yes I did but my time was up to the judge
fbopnomore (10-22-2017)