Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > PENNSYLVANIA > Pennsylvania General Prison Talk, News, Introductions & Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Pennsylvania General Prison Talk, News, Introductions & Chit Chat Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in Pennsylvania that do not fit into any other Pennsylvania sub-forum category. Please feel free to also introduce yourself to other members in the state and talk about whatever topics come to mind that may not have anything to do with prison.

Old 09-11-2017, 10:39 PM
Kayla Kerschner

Unhappy Inmate to inmate letters. Camp hill to Muncy State Prisons in Pennsylvania

I have an important question and really hope someone can give me the legit answer to my question. My boyfriend will be going to camp hill state prison and I eventually will be going to muncy state prison. How can we keep in contact. We will be gone for about 2 years and its really bothering me to not know if we will be able to keep in contact with one another. What are the rules or regulations on writtinf inmate to inmate from state prison to state prison? If someone can give me some kind of information or advice on this that would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-11-2017, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colekayla214 View Post
I have an important question and really hope someone can give me the legit answer to my question. My boyfriend will be going to camp hill state prison and I eventually will be going to muncy state prison. How can we keep in contact. We will be gone for about 2 years and its really bothering me to not know if we will be able to keep in contact with one another. What are the rules or regulations on writtinf inmate to inmate from state prison to state prison? If someone can give me some kind of information or advice on this that would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
I'm in Alabama, and I know here that there is no inmate to inmate mail. I didn't know if every state was like that, but it appears yours is too. This is page 14 of the 2017 PA DOC inmate handbook.

Tiffany ❤
Old 09-12-2017, 01:48 AM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 6,118 Times in 2,294 Posts

Well, it's an issue that varies from state to state as was mentioned.

Honestly there are two ways you can go about it.

The first would be to see if you can get approval for direct correspondence. If the state has a policy against that, though, you might not be able to do that. Even if the state allows it, if you were co-defendants, you might be SOL.

The other way would be to find a willing go-between on the outside, a third-party who would be willing to receive letters from each of you and forward on to the other.

BUT. Again. This could be problematic as many states also have rules against this, and if it gets found out, the go-between could get in trouble and even face prosecution in some cases.

So..unfortunately...the answer might be "no."

And even if you find a third-party and they manage to avoid detection, the amount of correspondence you can reasonably have is limited. Because...let's suppose you send him a letter. It goes from you to the mail room. It undergoes a contraband inspection/content inspection on the way out. Then it goes to the third party. They have to receive it. They then would have to take it, put it in a second envelope with a fresh stamp (you know, an envelope that isn't marked "this letter is from a state prison") and put it back in the mail. It has to travel to his prison. Then it has to clear the mail room at his prison, same contraband check, same content check.

So in essence, each letter will take 2-3 weeks to get from A to B assuming that the middle point person is on top of forwarding letters. And it will also be checked at both prisons for content, meaning there is a very good chance that somewhere in one of those two inspections at some point, someone is going to figure out that the letter originated at another state prison, whether it's because of something you've said, or because someone at the prison catches on to what's happening based on knowledge of the fact that you guys were together before prison, or because your friend maybe gets lazy and puts the "state prison" envelope inside a second envelope to forward, or someone stamps "state prison correspondence" somewhere on the letter itself.

Hope you're able to find a way to stay in touch. It's not going to be easy.

"I'm a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it."
-Thomas Jefferson
The Following User Says Thank You to missingdee For This Useful Post:
dee342 (09-12-2017)
Old 09-12-2017, 02:20 AM

Thanked 1,019 Times in 571 Posts

My husband is in NV and was unable to write to his daughter who was in prison in the same State. Every State is different though so if I was you I would call the prisons and ask them or wait until you get in there. My husband used to send me letters to send to his daughter.
Old 09-12-2017, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colekayla214 View Post
Each of you will need permission from your respective facilities to exchange letters. Without that, there will be no contact allowed.
Old 09-17-2017, 07:55 AM

PTO Moderator 

Thanked 2,307 Times in 1,271 Posts

The information posted above is all good.

The PA DOC has very specific rules about incoming mail.

1: Inmates may not correspond with one another unless approved to do so (each of you separately approved by your respective facilities);

2: Each of you must request permission to correspond from your respective unit counselors. You must specify your relationship (which will be verified) and the reason that you need to correspond. Each facility will hold a staff meeting to discuss the request. if the staff agree to allow it, they hand it off to the superintendent for final approval. If he/she approves it, it goes to the other facility to be implemented.

3: if your reason for corresponding is because of an ongoing case, the Office of Chief Counsel will verify the status of the case every six months.

4: Both incoming and outgoing mail will be read by the mailroom to check for security-related discussions.

5: The entire permission is reviewed every six months by both facilities.

All of this is contained in DC ADM 830, here:
http://www.cor.pa.gov/About%20Us/Doc...blications.pdf
Old 09-17-2017, 08:11 AM

Thanked 3,510 Times in 1,636 Posts

Were you co-defendants? I know here that codefendants cannot visit, call or write.

If charges are unrelated, you may be able to get permission.