Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Federal General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat Topics & Discussions relating to the Federal Prison & the Criminal Justice System that do not fit into any other Federal sub-forum category. Please feel free to also introduce yourself to other members in the state and talk about whatever topics come to mind that may not have anything to do with prison.

Old 08-12-2018, 08:23 PM

Thanked 1,209 Times in 613 Posts
Default Out Custody vs Community Custody

Can someone tell me what the difference between these two classifications are and what they mean?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old 08-13-2018, 01:30 AM

It has to do with custody points. Typically OUT custody is for campers due to them being outside the fence. My understanding was community custody is for halfway house and HC.

When I was at Sheridan, they were approving furloughs. One of the criteria there was an inmate had to be community custody for a furlough.

OUT CUSTODY. The second lowest custody level assigned to an inmate requiring the second lowest level of security and staff supervision. An inmate who has OUT custody may be assigned to less secure housing and may be eligible for work details outside the institution's secure perimeter with a minimum of two-hour intermittent staff supervision.

COMMUNITY CUSTODY. The lowest custody level assigned to an inmate which affords the lowest level of security and staff supervision. An inmate who has COMMUNITY custody may be eligible for the least secure housing, including any which is outside the institution's perimeter, may work on outside details with minimal supervision, and may participate in community-based program activities if other eligibility requirements are satisfied.

Last edited by ttexrbomb; 08-13-2018 at 01:32 AM..
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ttexrbomb For This Useful Post:
bellisq (08-13-2018), fbopnomore (08-13-2018), Minor activist (08-13-2018), xolady (08-13-2018)
Old 08-13-2018, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttexrbomb View Post
It has to do with custody points. Typically OUT custody is for campers due to them being outside the fence. My understanding was community custody is for halfway house and HC.

When I was at Sheridan, they were approving furloughs. One of the criteria there was an inmate had to be community custody for a furlough.

OUT CUSTODY. The second lowest custody level assigned to an inmate requiring the second lowest level of security and staff supervision. An inmate who has OUT custody may be assigned to less secure housing and may be eligible for work details outside the institution's secure perimeter with a minimum of two-hour intermittent staff supervision.

COMMUNITY CUSTODY. The lowest custody level assigned to an inmate which affords the lowest level of security and staff supervision. An inmate who has COMMUNITY custody may be eligible for the least secure housing, including any which is outside the institution's perimeter, may work on outside details with minimal supervision, and may participate in community-based program activities if other eligibility requirements are satisfied.
Thanks. Do you know how long a camper has to be there in order to receive out-custody. My husband was strongly encouraged to apply for a furlough after he arrived. He was told he would be eligible after he was there for 60 days. Then a few months later, the warden sent all inmates an email also strongly encouraging the applications of furloughs. So in or around June (maybe late May), my husband applied for the furlough for October (he's at a camp). He just heard back last week and the reason they claim to have declined it (well there are 2) is that he hasn't been there a year (and now they're saying you have to be there a year) and the other one is either that he has either the community custody or the out custody (I can't remember - ugh! I think that is the second reason, I have to confirm again since there is so much BS they feed them). He then asked me to find out which one it is. So then, he told his counselor he wanted to resubmit his application for consideration for December when he will have been there for a year and the guy told him he won't get approved then either because he is being released in January and another criteria is that you have 90 days left to serve. So my husband said back, so in other words, you're telling me that anyone who has to be here for 15 months will never be approved and is ineligible? The guy thought for a minute and then said "yeah, I guess that's true". Unbelievable!!

So, my husband was pretty annoyed. He's not upset about the furlough being declined, he pretty much figured it would be, because he's learned they're all full of shit there, but why not have it say on the application flat out the requirements before he spent the hours and had people from the outside writing letters to do so? The counselor actually told him (probably more bs) that if it was any consolation, his was the best furlough application he ever saw. The whole process is terrible. Post the requirements, and/or have them readily available, but don't waste people's time.

They are coordinating a class with UW-Superior between inmates and students. The students are coming to the prison and for every student in the class, one inmate per student was selected after a lengthy application process to also take the course together with the student. He hopes to be able to tell it like it is in there without any issues as he doesn't want to hold back. Obviously there are things he can't say as he is saving that for some of the stuff he wants to do later to help advocate, but really was a waste of time and that is what annoys him more than anything.
Old 08-15-2018, 03:17 AM

Campers are out custody the day they get there. Think “out custody” is outside the fence. For community custody, that happens at 0 custody points...so at the point of transferring to a HWH.

What the prison is telling him was pretty much the same way Sheridan operated. You could request community custody (you had to do that first), then request a furlough. It’s not really too user friendly for somebody who is there for a short period of time.

But the good thing is the last month he is there (when he’d be taking a furlough), he is almost out the door. That last month has an awesome feeling - almost euphoric. So the furlough or lack thereof won’t be a big issue. Heck..he’s almost to the door right now. One thing for me was when the days (sunlight) started getting shorter, it made the days seem like they were going by quicker. Lots of ways to look at it.

Tell your hubby to keep his chin up. He’s in the home stretch.

Last edited by ttexrbomb; 08-15-2018 at 03:23 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to ttexrbomb For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (08-15-2018)
Old 08-15-2018, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttexrbomb View Post
Campers are out custody the day they get there. Think “out custody” is outside the fence. For community custody, that happens at 0 custody points...so at the point of transferring to a HWH.

What the prison is telling him was pretty much the same way Sheridan operated. You could request community custody (you had to do that first), then request a furlough. It’s not really too user friendly for somebody who is there for a short period of time.

But the good thing is the last month he is there (when he’d be taking a furlough), he is almost out the door. That last month has an awesome feeling - almost euphoric. So the furlough or lack thereof won’t be a big issue. Heck..he’s almost to the door right now. One thing for me was when the days (sunlight) started getting shorter, it made the days seem like they were going by quicker. Lots of ways to look at it.

Tell your hubby to keep his chin up. He’s in the home stretch.
Thanks! We are just about at the 5-1/2 month mark, but he isn't sold on that yet lol! He still counts the days up instead of down (like I do) because he doesn't trust anyone and has seen anything can happen! He has been told many times he has 0 points. It's really incredible that there is no consistency even within the prison. But, he accepts that.

He is so ready to be out of there, his "friends" are already claiming his stuff (radio, headphones, etc) and planning his party. But from what we've heard from others, when you get to the end, the time moves slow. And in his case, because it is the dead of winter, and it gets dark at about 4pm by then, the time can move really slowly. For me, the time is going by pretty quickly, but of course, I'm out here. Fortunately, he is able to keep himself busy, but like I said, it's just some of the nonsense that goes on there.

I do think when they start dealing with the furlough for getting him home to the HWH and HC around November, that will then make it seem more real for him! I also think having football season start will also help!

Thanks!!