Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Federal General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat Topics & Discussions relating to the Federal Prison & the Criminal Justice System that do not fit into any other Federal sub-forum category. Please feel free to also introduce yourself to other members in the state and talk about whatever topics come to mind that may not have anything to do with prison.

Old 07-27-2018, 03:53 PM

Default How long do transfers usually take?

My boyfriend contacted me Tuesday and said his transfer was granted. How long will it be before he can contact me via phone or email. I just want to know he's good. Can you tell this is new for me 🙄😯
Sponsored Links
Old 07-27-2018, 03:58 PM
Heathen Moderator

PTO Moderator 

Thanked 3,975 Times in 1,742 Posts

Hi! Welcome to Prison Talk! Where is your boyfriend located? It will be helpful when people answer to know what state or federal they are looking at as these things vary widely.

In general, there's no telling when someone will be moved. They don't even let the inmate know when it will be because of the security risk. Once he's moved they should have phones and email set up pretty quickly in my experience...everywhere but California.
fbopnomore (07-27-2018), Sarianna (07-28-2018)
Old 07-27-2018, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fridyrr.Likn View Post
Hi! Welcome to Prison Talk! Where is your boyfriend located? It will be helpful when people answer to know what state or federal they are looking at as these things vary widely.

In general, there's no telling when someone will be moved. They don't even let the inmate know when it will be because of the security risk. Once he's moved they should have phones and email set up pretty quickly in my experience...everywhere but California.
He messaged me Tuesday saying he was leaving Butner, NC to Petersburg, Va
The Following User Says Thank You to flowers83 For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (07-27-2018)
Old 07-27-2018, 04:14 PM
Heathen Moderator

PTO Moderator 

So he's in Federal? BOP is bad about making pit stops during transfers. If he ends up at a transfer center along the way it could be a couple weeks before they get him to his home prison and then once he gets there they'll validate his phone and you'll be able to communicate again barring any lockdowns etc.
fbopnomore (07-27-2018)
Old 07-27-2018, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fridyrr.Likn View Post
So he's in Federal? BOP is bad about making pit stops during transfers. If he ends up at a transfer center along the way it could be a couple weeks before they get him to his home prison and then once he gets there they'll validate his phone and you'll be able to communicate again barring any lockdowns etc.
Yeah. He's in Federal and scheduled to go to a halfway house in December. They told him I could get him but his halfway house date has been pushed back twice. So I don't know. I hope I don't have to wait forever until I can at least get an email
Old 07-27-2018, 04:28 PM
Heathen Moderator

PTO Moderator 

You should be able to see where he is on the BOP inmate locator. When he's moved it will say "in transit" and then he'll either be at a transfer center or his new home prison. At least that will let you know what kind of time frame you are looking at.
Old 07-27-2018, 04:40 PM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 19,947 Times in 11,662 Posts

I went from Petersburg to Butner in a bus that only took a few hours. They won't tell him when he will be leaving until the day when the bus arrives, and he won't be able to call or email you because of the bop's concern about possible escapes.

If there is available bed space, he will either be put into the SHU at the FCI Medium until the day of the weekly move to the FCI low (it was Friday when I was there), or be moved directly to his housing unit if he is staying at the Medium. If there is a shortage of available beds at either prison, he will stay in the SHU until one opens up for him.

Once he is assigned to a housing unit, he will be able to use phones & emails shortly after he meets with his counselor. His phone & visitation lists will be imported from Butner, and so will the money in his inmate commissary account. He will keep his existing phone pin number, so he will be able to call you as soon as his counselor adds him to the Petersburg computer.

The Low doesn't have air conditioning except in the library and Chapel, and the Virginia Summers are hot. He can buy a personal fan at the commissary, which actually helps a lot. The Medium is air conditioned.

I spent years in both prisons, and Petersburg was actually the best location I experienced in the bop.
Old 07-27-2018, 04:53 PM

Thanks I saw on the website that he was located at Petersburg Medium II. I'll just sit and wait until he can call. Thanks a lot for the information. Really eases my mind a little
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to flowers83 For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (07-27-2018), Fridyrr.Likn (07-27-2018), Sarianna (07-28-2018)