Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > MISSOURI > Missouri Prison & Jail Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Missouri Prison & Jail Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail Topics / Information relating to the Missouri Department of Corrections and local / county Jail visitation, phone calls, mail, inmate care packages, etc.

Old 11-17-2007, 10:58 AM

Default Attorney ever quit or attorney fired?

Hi,
Has anyone ever had an attorney drop a case in the middle of it or anyone ever fired an attorney?
Please respond to both questions. I have to do something and soon!
Thanx!
Sponsored Links
Old 11-17-2007, 08:29 PM

My man has fired his public defender's before
Old 11-17-2007, 09:26 PM
Donation Award 

I don't know of anyone personally, but my husband tried to fire his PD and the judge would not allow it.

I think all you do is just tell them you no longer need them. I've never fired anyone.
Old 11-18-2007, 08:58 PM

Well I have never fired anyone and working for laws I have never know anyone to fire them (they were good, only worked on Personal Injuries and worker comp though). I pushed my husbands PD though and kept him on his toes. Even though I was the (girl friend at the time)I Kept intouch with the investigator and PD to make sure things were moving. He had a pretty good PD though it could have been worse.
Old 06-07-2018, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justice21 View Post
Hi,
Has anyone ever had an attorney drop a case in the middle of it or anyone ever fired an attorney?
Please respond to both questions. I have to do something and soon!
Thanx!
my sons first court-appointed lawyer was 'ineffective', and after one year of my son complaining and him hemming around, he [the lawyer] voluntarily resigned (?). i dont know exactly how it all goes down, as i am out of state, but it happened, and my son has been given another court-appointed attorney. be aware that it resets the timer for speedy trial, for whatever good that is to you (no help to us, as it turns out...dont really understand that law...), and that it will take the new person some time to prepare, review, etc...almost like going back to "Go"...but if you get a better lawyer, worth it (in our case, anyway!)
Old 10-13-2018, 11:54 PM

Missouri will not allow you to file your public defender and go without representation.

You can request that your public defender be relieved of their duties and ask to be assigned another public defender.

But unless you are hiring private counsel to represent you and show that you have retained their services, your public defender will still be assigned to the case.

Missouri does not allow you to go without representation based on the statuate of "Ineffective Counsel."

This was put in place so offenders cannot claim that they were not given adequate representation or were not made aware of all possible consequences of pleading guilty, not guilty, or taking a case to trial.

Last edited by GlassCity1982; 10-13-2018 at 11:59 PM..
Old 10-14-2018, 06:20 AM

Thanked 5,959 Times in 3,104 Posts

Yes we fired my husbands first attorney he only showed up for the firing hearing after almost a year. Never got a piece of discovery, he was a disaster. Took $4800. cash and refused to reimburse a penny. Unfortunately my husband died before we could file a law suit.
Old 10-14-2018, 03:11 PM
attorney

Thanked 21,472 Times in 7,511 Posts

I’ve been fired and I’ve removed myself from representation. Removal usually happens as a result of something major going on in the attorney's life, like after I injured my leg - a person's right to a speedy trial trumps waiting for me to get out of the ICU, through 30 surgeries, out of rehab, and off opioids ready to work again. Make sense?

I’ve been fired when I’ve been court appointed and somebody has decided to obtain private counsel under the knee jerk belief that appointed counsel won’t bother to work as hard as private counsel. One of the most amusing times this happened was when parents of a man up on drug charges decided to hire an attorney for the man. The man had no clue, nor did I, until one of the first hearings we had in the case. I’d been in to the prison the night before and we talked about what he wanted to happen, where he was in the process, blah, blah, blah. We got to the bench that next morning and another attorney showed up as well, trying to enter his appearance. I withdrew from the case and memorialized it quickly, the new attorney entered his appearance, and the court welcomed the new attorney to the court as a brand new, never having appeared in that court before, license still wet, sworn in two days before. The Defendant's look of absolute panic was priceless. So was the response of the parents who had no idea the fellow had just been admitted to the bar and had never handled a case before.