Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > NEW JERSEY > New Jersey Prison and Jail Specific Discussions + Lock Down Status
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

New Jersey Prison and Jail Specific Discussions + Lock Down Status This forum covers topics & discussions specific to Jails and Prisons located throughout the State of New Jersey, including lockdowns.

Old 04-18-2010, 12:34 PM

Question East New Jersey State Prison -Minimum

Hey all..

So my hubby is thinking about getting a transfer to ENJS (Rahway) he explained that he was told that there is a minimum security camp there and that he wouldn't actually be housed in the main building?? Is this true?? Does anyone have information on this??

He also said he is moving because he is currently classified as (Gang Minimum) he was never in a gang... He is currently at Mid-State Corr.. He was told that if he moves he would probably be reclassified as (Full Minimum) and that Mid-State is more hard on classification because it is on the army base etc...

Does anyone have any information on these kinds of things... I would like to know i feel so lost and frustrated
Sponsored Links
Old 04-18-2010, 01:10 PM
Registered Member
Donation Award 

Thanked 2,206 Times in 1,642 Posts

not sure about ejsp...but gang minimum has nothing to do with gangs.

the statuses in order from best possible to worst are: full minimum, gang minimum, minimum, medium, maximum, close.

i may be mixed up on maximum and close but thats basically it.

Old 04-18-2010, 03:59 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,618 Times in 1,167 Posts

I'm not so sure that a transfer will lower his status. Certain offenses can never go below gang mimimum. My son as a gang min. got the same time off as minimum. Also depending how long he's been there, he may not be eligible yet for reclassification. They do them every year.
Perhaps I'm wrong but I don't think MidState classifies any differently than other state prison. They all follow the same guidelines in the 10A- the rules that the Dept of Corrections follow.
There's a link on the NJ parole page that will take you them if you want to read them.

Old 04-18-2010, 05:00 PM
Account Closed

Gang minimum has nothing to do with gangs. My hubby is gang minimum and is in EJSP. Your man must also qualify to go to a camp. They have guidelines he must meet. And he must be at Mid State for a certain amount of time and have no recent charges in order to even be considered for a transfer. Also I don't think Mid State has any special rules because it i on a base. it is still a State Prison. Now if he was a federal prisoner there it would be different.
Old 04-18-2010, 05:55 PM
Registered Member
Donation Award 

Thanked 2,206 Times in 1,642 Posts

§ 10A:9-4.3 Custody status

(a) Inmates classified as “close custody status” shall be assigned to selected activities such as work and recreation within the confines of the unit under continuous supervision.
(b) Inmates classified as “maximum custody status” shall be assigned to activities within the confines of the correctional facility under continuous supervision.
(c) Inmates classified as “medium custody status” shall be assigned to activities inside the security perimeter of the correctional facility under frequent and direct observation of staff.
(d) Inmates classified as “gang minimum custody status” may be assigned to activities or jobs which routinely require them to move outside the security perimeter of the correctional facility, but on the grounds of the facility and under continuous supervision of a custody staff member, civilian instructor or other employee authorized to supervise inmates. The time served in gang minimum custody status shall be at the discretion of the Institutional Classification Committee (I.C.C.).
(e) Inmates classified as “full minimum custody status” are those assigned to:
1. Work details, jobs or programs outside the main correctional facility, (on or off the grounds of the facility) with minimal supervision; and/or
2. A satellite unit or minimum security trailer unit.
(f) Inmates must be classified as “community custody status” in order to participate in residential community programs (see N.J.A.C. 10A:20) or to be assigned to community-based jobs. Community custody status may require periodic supervision in the community as appropriate to circumstances of work or activities. Full minimum custody status is a prerequisite to obtaining community custody status.

Old 07-21-2010, 10:05 AM

Hey guys just wanted to update you on some things. Well he did go to EJSP where they reclassified him as "gang min". He was told that the only reason they classified him as that is because he has a retainer from NYC. Mid State said they classified him as gang min because he had a pretty painted background. He recently got moved to Bayside and got classified as Full Min.. So the jail basically do what they want.. It's really wierd but true... Thanks for all you guys help and info before..