Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > OHIO > Ohio Parole, Probation, Work Release, Halfway Houses & Community Service
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ohio Parole, Probation, Work Release, Halfway Houses & Community Service All information relating to parole, probation, halfway houses, community service and electronic monitoring in Ohio should be posted here.

Old 05-25-2005, 02:30 PM
Missing my Honey

Default Ohio.......Judicial Release??!!!!

I know that with Judicial Release either the inmate or an attorney can file it. But if the inmate is going to do it, how does he do it??? Or is there something that I can do? Because all the lawyers I have asked want $750-$1000 to file for it!!! I might pay it if I knew it was guaranteed for him to get out but thats not the case!!! Also he has a 6 year sentence 5 of which are mandatory and it is a F-2 charge ....so is it even possible that he could get out on judicial release??

I posted in legal help too....
Sponsored Links
Old 05-25-2005, 02:41 PM
Queen of Dylan's Heart

what county is he dealing with?..........my sister in law is in cuyahoga.......i've talked to their clerk of courts and they told me that an inmate can basically write to his judge asking for a judicial release......i wouldn't reccommend that unless you also threw in a lot of other documents..........you can call the public defenders office, which is what i did.......they gave me an address........his sis had to be the one to write them and give them her name, b-day, case #, and request that she wants to file.........then they mailed her info on what she needed...........so call your clerk of courts or public defenders office first.......

when you submit your info, here's some good guidelines to use...........have the inmate write a letter........have a family member write 1 or more on his behalf......in the past i've also included letters from priests (counsellors, any organization on the outside that would be willing to help him).......if you have any connects w/a job for him when he gets out, have them write a letter also, stating that they are willing to provide employment.........also if he's completed any programs in there, mail all certificates there as well..............in his letter he should explain what his plan is when he gets out, job, school, etc........he's learned his lesson, wants to be more productive member of society, etc....apologies are nice too....all depends on crime, i've written a lot for other inmates.............so if you need help, let me know..........but yes, there is a way you can do it, just as fine as w/a lawyer on your own!
Old 05-25-2005, 02:59 PM

This can all be solved by him going to the law library in his unit and filing the paperwork. It's that simple. Everyone always wants to get lawyers and then they end up not being able to afford it and it turns out bad anyway. Always start with the cheapest which is him doing it himself, and if that don't work out, then you may look into a lawyer. Just remember that you are dealing with a bunch of idiots in the prison system.
Old 05-25-2005, 03:44 PM
Missing my Honey

I already told him to go to the law library and have someone in there help him. I just sent him all kinds of stuff on it...and I called the clerk of courts and they are sending him some paperwork that he asked me to get from them. I am in Texas and hes in Ohio so corresponding takes a little extra time between us!!! I had heard that writing letters was good...what if he wants to move out of state? because it would be better for him..does he include that in the letter as well? It was in Warren County is where his charges are from. It is also a felonious assault charge. His he has one year before his mandatory 5 will be up...Can he file as soon as that day comes??
Old 05-25-2005, 03:49 PM
Queen of Dylan's Heart

i think it should be included, but call and see if its allowed, it would depend on if he's on probation,......... i know they can choose to live in another county and his probation will take place there, but i'm not sure on states.........and if you go to the ohio revised code......under judicial release in chapter 29 it will tell you when he's eligible to file depending on degree of his felony..........if you have trouble finding that let me know, and i'll look it up for you..........i believe you're right though about 1 yr wait on 5 yrs. sentences.......good luck!!
Old 05-25-2005, 04:08 PM

My friend filed for Judical Release over 5 years ago and the courts in Clark County have yet to rule on it one way or the other! I thought all courts had to give a timely answer?
Old 05-25-2005, 04:55 PM

Default 5 year decisions on judicial release

The courts seem to feel they are above following timeliness rules also. Every day I'm more disgusted with the system.

Old 05-25-2005, 07:09 PM
Missing my Honey

They have 90 days to answer....well they are supposed to!!! If you have an attorney I would have check into it....It states though that they have 90 to deny or grant it!!!
Old 05-26-2005, 06:07 AM
Prayerful Ohio Member
Donation Award 

Question This is Outrageous Bebopp...

(((Bebopp))) Did your loved one use an Atty when he filed for Judicial Release 5yrs. ago. If he didn't, does that mean that the Courts can then drag their feet? Because it would seem that it would be the Atty's responsibility to make sure that the Courts stay within the guidelines of Ohio or get sued!

Ladies, all of your responses are insightful and very much appreciated. Sabrena

"...for this too shall pass..."
Old 05-26-2005, 07:31 AM

He filed it himself but it was my understanding when anyting is filed in the courts the judge has to rule on it one way or the other but in Clark COunty they do as they want to do