Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR "OFFENDERS" > Success Stories
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Success Stories Please share your coming-home success stories here.

Old 02-24-2018, 09:35 AM

Default Reconfirms you have to want it for yourself

Thank you for post, I am a parent who has decided to disengage from my adult son who is 37 years old and on his 3rd stint, this time for 12 years. He has addiction and mental problems, but I believe his mental is self inflicted by his addictions and abusing everything. At times I question my decision, that I disengaged, as it is heartbreaking to not have any contact, but I have been supportive the last 20+ years in every way and love him enough that I'll go through the pain if it may help him make the changes he needs on his own. I guess I believe I cannot get different results by doing the same thing, so I'm doing this, so I guess I'm willing to change and yes I am very disappointed and angry that it came to this. I pray for him daily and love him; but doing this love and praying from afar, I want him to figure it out as I am angry with myself that I have neglected other family, friends, God and myself for decades as I believed a good parent should of been there for their son, but in reality I hurt him, more than I helped. But anyway I was looking for success stories of those who have come out and your post just reiterate that family support really doesn't confirm success they have to want success on there own, which supports my decision. Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickpnj View Post
Success can happen it just takes time and above all desire to be successful. I had worked my rear end off since I was 18 to build a solid career. I was known in my industry from coast to coast and did very well. That wasnt enough for me so I opted for the entire convict package, multiple charges in multiple states and federal. I let greed take over and just totally lost control. The fact that I had some affiliations from my teenage years and the "dont hire me I am a bad person" tattoo starter kit just amplified the fact the people "knew he was a bad person inside". So after 78 months in the Feds with concurrent sentences in two states, I came out a strong and supportive family with very little financial support. I decided that regardless of my image, I was going to rebuild my career. It took allot of hard work, going way above and beyond and at times felt like it would never get any better. Sure, there were allot of hard times. Nothing like a customer pulling up your federal appeal which is easy to find and saying "is this you?". I never let anything or anyone hold me back.

For some reason I felt drawn to this website last night. I had not been on it in some time and I was thinking about some of the people I became close with inside. I decided to do some research on where everyone is.

Out of 10 people that all were released within a year or two of each other:
1 is passed from an overdose after being in and out of jail and "waiting for the right job"
1 Worked his rear off then got hooked on the stuff again, just saw him in the news again.
1 Looks to be back on the stuff, seems to have no future and looks to be on the verge of homelessness.
1 Passed from illness a year after finishing a 20 year stint inside.
1 Was actually released from his paper because the judge got tired of seeing him for dirty urines. He was on the path to destruction when something clicked, hes now almost 2 years clean and doing great.

The other 5 are all doing well, off our paper and moving forward. If I look at the guys who didnt make it, they all had support of family and loved ones. They all were in programs. The ones that wanted to help themselves did, others made excuses.

It is what YOU make of it. Dont let your past define your future.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-24-2018, 09:56 AM

One of the biggest impacts you can have to help your son is to take care of yourself, first. If you’ve never been to an Al-Anon meeting, please give one a try. And all that is required is to show up and listen - and it’s free! I think you will find a lot of support. You are at a juncture now where you’ve tried everything else, and I’ve been there before. It sounds like you’re already taking the first steps toward your own “recovery.” It can only improve from here, and I wish you the best of luck!
Old 02-24-2018, 10:43 AM

Thank you for your advice and encouragement, appreciate it much!
The Following User Says Thank You to SeekingJoy For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (02-24-2018)