Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > TEXAS > Texas General Prison Talk
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Texas General Prison Talk Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in Texas that do not fit into any other Texas subforum.

Old 12-11-2017, 12:09 AM
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,106 Times in 617 Posts
Default Husband needs eye surgery, Hospital Galveston said no to procedure.

Yíall I just need to be heard, VENT I guess. I donít even know where to start honestly.

The hub has various medical issues including the loss of a kidney from cancer and a heart arrhythmia. His arrhythmia can not be treated with the usual medications precisely because he only has 1 kidney.

With this arrhythmia he has passed out cold at least twice that we are aware of (when he was found out cold). Those caused numerous Dr and hospital visits/stays. Tdcj refuses to do his cancer follow ups as needed every 6 months among other issues.

Hereís my current big concern. During this last episode of passing out he fractured the entire top half of the left side of his face, having difficulty opening his mouth and tore his cornea.

While at a free world facility they were prepping him for eye surgery. Then TDCJ for some reason took him back to his unit then took him the next day to Hospital Galveston who has decided to do no procedures AT ALL!!

Hospital Galveston ONLY seems to be concerned about his heart and passing out. Iím very concerned over those things as well....but hello what about his vision and face fracture!! Ugh

They have him on telemetry and for the hour I visited they came in 3 times asking if he had chest pain. Lol (because I have to laugh to keep from crying AND be strong for him) I guess I still make his heart race after all these years.

Honestly Iím just at my wits end!!! We are only 5 years into a 20 yr sentence.

Any suggestions on how to get Hospital Galveston to even listen to my concern?? Obviously Iím concerned that he never regains his vision or that he lives with obstructed sinuses but really above all that ......I donít even know.....

Iím speechless....SMH.....canít even put my thoughts into words
Sponsored Links
Old 12-11-2017, 02:08 AM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 18,938 Times in 11,160 Posts

I'm sorry for what you and he are having to deal with. If he can appeal the Galveston Hospital's no surgery decision through the hospital's normal procedures, then his case should get a peer review by other doctors.
Old 12-11-2017, 05:12 AM
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbopnomore View Post
I'm sorry for what you and he are having to deal with. If he can appeal the Galveston Hospital's no surgery decision through the hospital's normal procedures, then his case should get a peer review by other doctors.
Omg!! I had no idea that was possible! Thank you
The Following User Says Thank You to OnlyInTexas For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (12-11-2017)
Old 12-11-2017, 06:07 AM
CA, LASO, site sug. SUPER MOD

PTO Super Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 27,023 Times in 13,744 Posts

Oh boy.
Do you know if he gets any warning about him passing out?
You know like sick to your stomach, sweating, fuzzy vision?
Cause if he does get any warning......he needs to make himself sit down.

I hope you guys are able to get him some help with all this.
Dang.

That's my dog's nose art

The Following User Says Thank You to sidewalker For This Useful Post:
OnlyInTexas (12-11-2017)
Old 12-11-2017, 07:14 AM
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewalker View Post
Oh boy.
Do you know if he gets any warning about him passing out?
You know like sick to your stomach, sweating, fuzzy vision?
Cause if he does get any warning......he needs to make himself sit down.

I hope you guys are able to get him some help with all this.
Dang.
He says he feels anxious. Which makes sense if his heart is racing. But yeah, heís 6í5 and thatís a long fall. I just feel helpless and hopeless for him. Iím a nurse too, so I want to know EVERYTHING but they tell me NOTHING!
Old 12-25-2017, 01:43 PM
Donation Award 

So here it is Christmas Day, certainly not a joyous day this year. However, I visited him yesterday.....oh what joy. His courage amazes me yet infuriated me as well.

See 6yrs years ago he a complete unilateral nephrectomy as a result of renal cell carcinoma. His tumor was isolated to just the kidney. Almost exactly 1 year later he went to TDCJ to start a 20 year sentence for multiple DWI’s.

He left county armed with all of this medical records as well as the follow up plans for the next 5 years. That was to do full cancer follow ups for the next 5 yrs.

Within his the first year of his sentence we fought tooth and nail to get these done so that we could treat issues as they arose. In other words before it spreads like wild fire, hopefully. He did get the occasional follow up, but certainly not what was prescribed. To this very day he has yet to have a full body scan. Renal cell carcinoma is s unpredictable form of cancer. There’s no predictable that that it takes, if you does what it does.

Also within his first year at TDCJ he had what they diagnosed as a thyroid storm.....going in we knew he had a nodule in his thyroid. We were told just to monitor it by his outside MD. The thyroid storm diagnosis Came because at visit one day he had what I’ll call an episode. He was rushed from the unit to a local er to stabilize his heart rate, then transferred to hospital Galveston from there. I think he stayed over night, maybe. They added a drug to help prevent this ‘heart thing’. It wasn’t the drug of choice for what his heart was doing but he can’t take the front line drugs because he has only 1 kidney and now a thyroid condition. He still takes that medicine today however TDCJ has stopped it, it didn’t transfer with him, over looked it and refused to reorder more times than I can count on 1 hand. Each time it took numerous calls, grievances to get them restarted days or weeks after they stopped them. Usually to get the med restarted he either had chest pain or passed out then some soul would finally listen to him and realize that in-fact he was to be on the medication. On occasion I’d call and finally get the ‘right’ person on the phone that would take the time to investigate. I have also been told, ma’am he is getting his meds, he’s likely lying to you. And frequently we got the ‘o he’s mental health’ and some ‘o he’s an addict’ he just wants drugs or he’s mental illness is what’s wrong. O then there was one nurse that told me metoprolol wasn’t even the first choice of treatments for his arrhythmia anyway.....really? I was like, tell me....My point in saying that is it’s a prime indication that the system only seems to look at what’s in front of them and not the full picture. That is precisely why we are where we are today.

As time marched forward in the 5 years he has had numerous ‘pass outs’ that we know of. I feel sure there have been some that were not witnessed. There was at least one where a CO found him out cold on the concrete floor of his single cell. Thank God someone was actually doing their job that day. There was the ever so kind nurse that as she was pushing him on a stretcher, slapping his face, felt it in heart to ‘explain’ to him that it was almost 5p and time for her to go home and she had no time for his ‘games’.

So we continued on a bit from unit to unit these instances still happening here and there. Nothing smooth for sure. Then early this month he was standing in line for store. He was next in line and the unit was going on lock down any day so he was determined to get his commissary. He started feeling anxious his heart was racing....next thing he knew he woke up on the floor. The guy beside him helped him up and he then continued to the window for his things. He didn’t bleed, he was just in some pain. Took his groceries to his cell, was putting them up and another inmate said ‘man I think you need to go to medical’ explained that his face/nose/eye was swelling and his pupil is huge and shaped funny. Again there was still no blood. My hub was like I will I will but let me put my things up so I don’t have any issues with out of place items. He said he didn’t need a case. The inmate said ok then, sit down and I’ll put your things away while another inmate called a captain over. At that point he was content that things were put away, stored, cell in order etc and it was ok to go to medical.

He is at a regional medical unit. He was first seen there, then sent to Tyler to the ER. They did test, this that and the other. They were about to take him to surgery to repair his eye best we understand. He sat there many hours. When he was placed back in the ambulance without any care basically, he finally had a tad of blood from his nose. Then he was returned to regional medical where he sat all night awaiting transport to hospital Galveston the next morning.

Once at Galveston it was determined that he had fractured his face head, nose, cheek, orbit, injured his jaw and basically blew out his pupil. They kept him about 6 days. Did numerous tests, monitored his heart etc. As I visited, staff came in 3 times to ask if he was having chest pains. Of course we had our laugh you know the ‘wow after all these years we still make each other’s heart race’. It was difficult for him to laugh but he did, he was in incredible pain. Just talking hurt, smiling hurt but he did it. See he had the injury 3 days before he was ever even offered pain meds. You know he’s an addict.....His face was terribly swollen, eating was difficult. But he did it. He had nerve damage to the face....they think because he continues to bite his lip and tongue.

I should back up at this point. Our situation is very very unique for reason I’ll not address here, just suffice it to say he moves around lots for various reasons. He moves for reason within his control and outside his control. The thought from the system is always that he just wants off the unit he’s at and honestly we’d love nothing more than for him to stay somewhere, anywhere so we/he can get on a schedule, back to school etc. Because he moves so often I frequently watch his location. I just happened to look and saw he was off site medical. Instantly I started calling every contact I had both in the system and outside. Nobody would tell me a thing. Hours later I finally found a nurse at regional medical who would tell me his diagnosis but she said he was at the unit. I knew for fact he wasn’t. What she did tell me was that he had corneal damage with face fracture. It never occurred to me that he passed out again. My assumption was that he had been assaulted and rightfully so.

While at Galveston a battery of test and procedures were done. Numerous consults and such. They implanted a cardiac ‘loop’ device in his chest. They are remotely monitoring his heart. He carries a device that he pushes a button on if he has chest pain, shortness of breath. He goes back in a week or so to have the device removed.

In all this, this is what we know. He does have an arrhythmia, the nodule is still in the thyroid, his red cell count is high and his blood is thick. Neurology thinks his problems are cardiac related and Cardiology thinks Neuro is his issue and why he’s passing out. They do think he had a seizure this last episode with the injuries. However, it seems no one cares to watch the video of him passing out. Nor do we know if they drug tested him, if for no other reason but to clear their mind of that possibility.

In ALL this the possibility of cancer metastasis has yet to come up!! NOT ONCE!! I understand what you are thinking. I’m sure you are thinking he’s not listening or not telling me.....I saying without a doubt it has not come up.

I digress, in September/October he had a spot on a testicle, one testicle was enlarged and the epididymis was enlarged. He was told that they would schedule an appointment with a provider.....never happened. At the same time he was scheduled for a inguinal hernia repair that he ended up not going to, simply because he didn’t feel up to the trip. That medical trip is exhausting for a healthy person, much less a individual experiencing what he’s experiencing. You guested it, the system has labeled him as noncompliant for not making the visit. He’s been written off in a way. However it took eye damage and facial injuries to get the care he’s now getting despite all our needling away at the system.

All this to say I’m angry. I’m angry at him, angry at the system. With all the fight he has had over the last 5yrs on his health he is now content with what’s being done and said. I’m not!! It’s way too little too late. I’m angry that the system is jaded because so many inmates abuse the system for their personal gain, to the point they all assume my husband is trying to pull something, anything!!!

I’m not real sure where I’m headed with this....but I’ll get there.

I forgot to mention 2 weeks before he had the latest ‘pass out’ he was complaining of an earache and said he felt a lymph node in his neck, under his ear. He said I considered going to medical but last time I sent in 6 I-60’s with not response. When they finally did allow him a sick call it was because I had called the Warden, Regional direct, ombudsman and human services. As one my imagine the medical staff was a bit testy with him by the time they finally did see him. That whole choose your battles thing because you certainly never want the spot light on your loved on in prison.

Again....no idea what my intent in writing all this is
Old 12-26-2017, 02:55 AM
Midnight Sun Moderator

PTO Site Moderator 

Donation Award 

Thanked 2,354 Times in 1,113 Posts

Oh my god, I don't even know what to say I'm glad you poured all this out here...even if just to get it out of your system. I cannot imagine the stress you must be under; it is hard enough to have your loved one incarcerated but to add all these medical problems...and the fact that you can't rely on the system for proper healthcare/follow-ups
I don't know how you do all this and stay sane, the both of you. I hope all goes well and his health doesn't deteriorate....sending you strength!!
Old 12-26-2017, 06:21 AM

Thanked 5,284 Times in 2,782 Posts

After losing my husband to the atrocious medical "care" and definite neglect in prison my heart goes out to you. I would start trying to get him compassionate release. The system is not going to pay for him to have eye surgery and most likely reconstructive facial surgery. I know the system wouldn't even use the word cancer or they would have had to treat my husband for cancer and decided it wasn't cost effective. So get on the ball and get him out of prison or he's going to end up a victim of the system.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xolady For This Useful Post:
OnlyInTexas (12-26-2017), Sarianna (12-26-2017)
Old 12-26-2017, 07:01 AM
Donation Award 

Any suggestions on just how to do that are welcome....especially since they haven’t said ‘cancer’
Old 12-26-2017, 07:12 AM

Thanked 5,284 Times in 2,782 Posts

In florida the inmate has to file for it. The prison won't help and either will anyone else. But if someone has a life ending illness where it's going to mean they are paying to keep him alive yet not cure him you file for compassionate release. If it's granted he can come home to finish out his sentence or die. This way he can get the help he needs, but if he gets better he can end up going back to prison. Basically your only granted it at the last resort. The catch is the prisoner has to file for it the family can't. I don't know if Texas has it or not but it would seem your husband should be eligible for it. Also it's not a get out of jail free card, you have a parole officer who comes to your house or you go see them till your term is up or you die. Sorry for being so blunt I wish someone had told me about this when my husband was first sick. Anyway see what you can find out from someone in Texas. Good luck and I pray for you both.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xolady For This Useful Post:
OnlyInTexas (12-26-2017), Sarianna (12-26-2017)
Old 12-26-2017, 09:07 AM
Donation Award 

Lol!!! Because I must laugh to keep from crying. He asked yesterday tho have his dressing changed. See it supposed to be done daily to prevent infection. He was told.....it’s Christmas-.-
Old 12-26-2017, 11:25 AM

Thanked 1,267 Times in 706 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlyInTexas View Post
Lol!!! Because I must laugh to keep from crying. He asked yesterday tho have his dressing changed. See it supposed to be done daily to prevent infection. He was told.....itís Christmas-.-
I am very sorry this is happening to you.

What was your opinion of the ombudsman's responsiveness?

Have you tried asking your legislator for help?
Old 12-26-2017, 08:23 PM
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minor activist View Post
I am very sorry this is happening to you.

What was your opinion of the ombudsman's responsiveness?

Have you tried asking your legislator for help?
I have had both positive and negative outcomes with the ombudsman. And yes I have reached out to my law makers, both mine and those that are local to the unit heís in at the time.
Old 12-29-2017, 04:53 PM

I'm so sorry! I would have him request medical release, or if you have an attorney they might could help him during his next review.
The Following User Says Thank You to dtmom2013 For This Useful Post:
OnlyInTexas (01-03-2018)