Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FLORIDA > Florida General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Florida General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in Florida that do not fit into any other Florida subforum category. Please feel free to also introduce yourself to other members in the state and talk about whatever topics come to mind that may not have anything to do with prison.

Old 11-04-2018, 06:37 PM

Default What is better own cell or shared rooms?

I noticed that close custody get a 2 man cell and medium custody you get a bed in a room. It seems like there could be 50 plus beds in a room and you get a little locker box beside your bed.

Is it a lot better to be in the open rooms? I would think it is more dangerous since there are so many people in a small room. Plus, you don't get much personal space. I'm guessing you have more freedom, however and more social interaction. Are these rooms just used to sleep, or do they hang out there as well?
Sponsored Links
Old 11-05-2018, 12:19 PM
Missing my better half
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fronty View Post
I noticed that close custody get a 2 man cell and medium custody you get a bed in a room. It seems like there could be 50 plus beds in a room and you get a little locker box beside your bed.

Is it a lot better to be in the open rooms? I would think it is more dangerous since there are so many people in a small room. Plus, you don't get much personal space. I'm guessing you have more freedom, however and more social interaction. Are these rooms just used to sleep, or do they hang out there as well?
my boyfriend is minimum custody and has a bunk in an open dorm. they hang out in there as well and he hasn't had any danger really happen around him. he said he witnessed a fight over the use of the phone once but aside from that people tend to avoid others if they don't like them because most of the people around him don't have large sentences, most just wanna get their time done and go home.. there are a few with life without parole (and on close custody) but they are very laid back and don't have any disciplinary issues and that those people are in a different dorm that's more strict.

one day closer

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MPsQueen For This Useful Post:
icj357 (11-07-2018), Sunnielg (11-09-2018)
Old 11-05-2018, 07:01 PM

My friend has been in a dorm with 2 man cells and in several ope bay dorms. He was not in confinment when he had the 2 man cell. He definitely preferred the cell. He hasn't had any issues with people in the open bays, it's just he likes a bit more privacy and there were less people using the phones and the kiosk.
The Following User Says Thank You to Friend in Jail For This Useful Post:
icj357 (11-07-2018)
Old 11-06-2018, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friend in Jail View Post
My friend has been in a dorm with 2 man cells and in several ope bay dorms. He was not in confinment when he had the 2 man cell. He definitely preferred the cell. He hasn't had any issues with people in the open bays, it's just he likes a bit more privacy and there were less people using the phones and the kiosk.
Hi,

I agree you definitely have a little more privacy in a cell because you do hang out there too but the open dorms are ok too. There's very little trpouble in most prisons as they get checked regularly
The Following User Says Thank You to uniformed For This Useful Post:
icj357 (11-07-2018)
Old 11-06-2018, 05:15 PM

My D much prefers a cell because he gets more privacy...and he has that z code thing so he usually doesn't have a cellie either, so he gets extra privacy. He would have it no other way..as long as he can!!
The Following User Says Thank You to smiles844 For This Useful Post:
icj357 (11-07-2018)
Old 11-06-2018, 08:38 PM

Thanked 2,721 Times in 1,283 Posts

Mine likes the freedom with a dorm. Yes, guys get on his nerves, but he has a little more movement.

The Following User Says Thank You to onedayatatime13 For This Useful Post:
icj357 (11-07-2018)
Old 11-07-2018, 08:26 AM
icj357
Donation Award 

My son has had both, he likes the open dorm format, but is currently in a two man cell as he was emergency transferred due to the Hurricane, but he has had no issues no matter where he lays his head.

Old 11-08-2018, 01:03 PM

When I was locked up, we were in a 68 man dorm. I liked this. There were also 8 man dorms and single cells. I would not have liked the 8 man dorms but the 68 man dorms were fine.
Old 11-09-2018, 09:04 AM

Thanked 5,960 Times in 3,104 Posts

My husband always liked the two man cells better, safer and less stress. I know he was in open dorms a few times and he bitched about the noise and lack of privacy. Theft was a big issue in open dorms.
The Following User Says Thank You to xolady For This Useful Post:
Sarianna (11-10-2018)
Old 11-10-2018, 04:08 AM
Midnight Sun Moderator

PTO Site Moderator 

Donation Award 

Thanked 3,641 Times in 1,641 Posts

My LO prefers cell living as well, for the above mentioned reasons. In addition with CDCR now integrating yards it seems to be additionally stressful being in a dorm that's overcrowded