Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > NEW JERSEY > New Jersey General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

New Jersey General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in New Jersey that do not fit into any other New Jersey sub-forum category. Please feel free to also introduce yourself to other members in the state and talk about whatever topics come to mind that may not have anything to do with prison.

Old 06-22-2018, 11:31 PM

Default How much time will I do on 5 flat sentence in New Jersey?

I have a unique case....I signed a 5 year flat plea agreement for identity theft and bad check forgery. I am getting awarded 18 months of jail credits. Yes I said 18 months...its a weird part of my case. I am curious to know about how long I will stay at CRAF? Will I see parole immediately upon arrival at CRAF? Will I go right to a minimum unit? How long until I get out and get on parole? I have been preparing for this and its time to get this done and over with so I can move on with my life:-)

Any assistance to my questions will greatly ease my worrying. :-) :-) I look forward to your reply.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-23-2018, 10:17 AM
Super Moderator

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Super Moderator Staff Superstar Winner Easter Egg Hunt 2013 - Participant 

Thanked 5,563 Times in 2,814 Posts

Usually, "flat" means day for day with no option for parole eligibility.
Old 06-23-2018, 05:05 PM

Thanked 2,905 Times in 1,784 Posts

I've always known flat to be day for day.
Old 06-23-2018, 06:02 PM

Thanked 2,565 Times in 1,209 Posts

This is what I found online. https://www.gambonelaw.com/blog/unde...ole-system.cfm

If you are charged with a criminal offense in New Jersey you will often hear the following terms, which are an important part of any consultation with any criminal defense lawyer:

Flat parole eligibility date (PED)—the eligibility term (1/3 of the maximum, the mandatory minimum, or 25 years in the case of a life sentence) which is added to the effective date of sentence less any jail credits awarded pursuant to Rule 3:21-8.
Book parole eligibility—the flat PED minus any commutation credits pursuant to NJSA 30:4-140.
Actual PED—actual parole eligibility date is the Book PED minus credits earned for work and other institutional programs (minimum custody) pursuant to NJSA 30:4-92.

Old 07-01-2018, 11:27 PM

Default Answer

RCPILOT,

I did two years in NJDOC, having been released in September of 2016 so I will be answer your questions no problem.

As far as your situation goes, since you signed for a 5 flat (which, does NOT mean day for day in NJ...the only time you do day for day in Jersey is if your plea agreement stipulates as such...i.g. - 5 year sentence with a 5 year mandatory minimum, or if you plead to a crime which carries NERA (No Early Release Act), which stipulates that you do 85% of your total time. For example, you get sentenced to a 5 with an 85%, you'll end up doing 52 months and change and it ends up being day for day because once you factor in comp time, work credits, custody credits and any jail time you have coming to you, it ends up that you do all the time), that means you are generally eligible for parole within 15-18 months, depending on a variety of factors including classification score, work credits and custody credits. In your case, you WILL see parole very soon once you arrive at CRAF. It may take a few weeks, considering they are always very backed up. Once they see you, the ball starts rolling with the process. You will initially see a parole representative at CRAF (on the 2nd floor) which is a preliminary meeting. Soon after (up to a few weeks later) you will see another representative from parole. This is called your "one on one" interview. They will ask you many questions and they will tape record the entire interview. MAKE SURE YOU ARE TRUTHFUL AND COMPLETELY REMORSEFUL! Do NOT shift the blame to someone else. Fall on the sword and take full responsibility. After this interview, you will be called for your parole board hearing (you will NOT know when this is so be prepared at all times! Pretend like they are watching you the ENTIRE time so you can be ready!). This hearing is NOT in person - it is over video teleconference. There are two people on the other end that will be asking you questions. These questions may make you mad and angry and all sorts of different emotions. MAKE SURE YOU STAY CALM AND YOU ANSWER EVERY QUESTIONS AS TRUTHFUL AS POSSIBLE! Do not instigate the board. Stay calm, cool and collected and answer straightforward. Take full responsibility. Show much remorse. NOTE: JUST BECAUSE YOU ARE ELIGIBLE FOR PAROLE DOES NOT MEAN YOU WILL GET IT! The full max out of a 5 flat is around 38 months, meaning they can "hit" you for around another 20 months AFTER your board hearing! If they don't like your answers or they feel you haven't done enough time, or for WHATEVER reason, they can force you to stay anywhere UP TO those 20 months. They could give you a 12 month hit, a 14 month hit, etc....up to 20 months. I've seen ALL SORTS OF DIFFERENT HITS FOR DIFFERENT PEOPLE. I am NOT trying to scare you...I am being as truthful and direct as possible about this process. I do not want to give you any false hope. I am just trying to prepare you for EVERY OUTCOME POSSIBLE. If they decide to parole you, they will give you a date for release. That date is 100% up to them and non-negotiable. They will also give you conditions upon your release. Those conditions vary person to person, but I CAN tell you that if you are paroled, you WILL NOT BE ABLE TO DRINK ALCOHOL OR DO DRUGS. Your parole officer that is assigned to you can piss test you or alcohol test you at any time they want, so it's absolutely best that you abide by every single condition they give you.

As far as your housing is concerned, EVERYONE that enters CRAF must first go to an isolation unit. This is a receiving unit that everyone lives in when they first get there. From there, you will go through you entire battery of tests, such as medical, psychological, education, etc...this will take about a week to get through. Once they are complete, the classification department will call for you. This committee is responsible for giving you your custody status and will determine what facility you will be shipped to. I was assigned to CRAF (they have a VERY small cadre unit there for short sentences...the people that live at CRAF are the people that run the prison - cookhouse workers, laundry, sanitation, etc...). In my best estimate, you will most likely be sent to Jones Farm (a full minimum farm about 2 miles away from CRAF), considering your sentence and your charge and you will most likely be given "full minimum" status. Jones Farm is an EXCELLENT place to do your time...you will most likely be assigned to one of the barracks there for housing. These barracks SUCK. Get moved into the Annex, AS SOON AS POSSIBLE! The Annex is by far the best place to live there. You will be in air conditioning, have access to full cable TV, yard with weights, and a whole lot more movement than most places in the state. You being sent to Jones Farm is completely contingent on if they have enough room there (it's the summer so they probably will have plenty of room). Also - another option (this is only if you get a "hit" from parole)...if you have 12 or more months to do at the Farm, it's best if you apply to go to the Halfway House. The process is pretty simple - as soon as you get to the farm, ask for a slip to apply for the Residential Community Release Program and then "drop" the slip in the mailbox there. The halfway houses will at least provide you with a little more freedom than being locked up the entire time.

I'M NOT GOING TO LIE TO YOU - you are in for a RUDE AWAKENING when you get to CRAF. You are not in any danger or anything like that. The conditions there will shock you - it's old (built in 1901), very primitive and dirty. There's lots of noise there, with CO's yelling all the time and other inmates yelling back and forth from cell to cell. The food is terrible. Always remember where you are and who you are around. Hopefully, you get a good bunkie for your time at CRAF. And finally - the best advice I can give you, which you should take through your ENTIRE incarceration experience...DO YOU. What I mean by that is only worry about yourself. Don't stick your nose into anyone else's business. Keep your head down. Don't make friends. Do you and DO YOUR TIME - don't let the time do you.

Of course, best of luck to you. Get it over with and get on with your life. It may be scary and you may be nervous but get through it and MOVE ON! This is only a small speed bump in the grand scheme of things. You will do your time and then it will be over. PLEASE FEEL FREE TO PRIVATE MESSAGE ME ABSOLUTELY ANY QUESTIONS OR CONCERNS YOU HAVE...NOTHING IS OFF LIMITS AND I WILL HELP YOU TO THE BEST OF MY ABILITY!

Regards,
GL

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcpilotjwg View Post
I have a unique case....I signed a 5 year flat plea agreement for identity theft and bad check forgery. I am getting awarded 18 months of jail credits. Yes I said 18 months...its a weird part of my case. I am curious to know about how long I will stay at CRAF? Will I see parole immediately upon arrival at CRAF? Will I go right to a minimum unit? How long until I get out and get on parole? I have been preparing for this and its time to get this done and over with so I can move on with my life:-)

Any assistance to my questions will greatly ease my worrying. :-) :-) I look forward to your reply.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to georgelpz For This Useful Post:
Ms Sunny (07-02-2018), Sunnielg (07-02-2018)