Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > NEW JERSEY > New Jersey General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

New Jersey General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in New Jersey that do not fit into any other New Jersey sub-forum category. Please feel free to also introduce yourself to other members in the state and talk about whatever topics come to mind that may not have anything to do with prison.

Old 05-01-2017, 08:21 PM

Default Anyone have any questions - recently released from njdoc

Hello all,

I was just recently released from prison in March, 2017 after serving two years. If anyone has any questions, please feel free to either respond to this thread or private message me. ANY questions are welcomed! Remember - it is always best to find out as much as you can about a new situation before you experience it. Go in prepared!

-S
The Following User Says Thank You to georgelpz For This Useful Post:
Rodsweldn2 (02-22-2018)
Sponsored Links
Old 05-03-2017, 12:26 PM
Life Lovin
Donation Award 

Thanked 2,241 Times in 1,384 Posts

Hello. Welcome to Prison Talk. Our forums have been kind of quiet lately, but if you keep checking back I am sure people will be along with questions. Thanks for sharing your experiences with our members.
Old 05-03-2017, 01:55 PM
PTO Administrator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 33,254 Times in 15,260 Posts

Hello Congratulations on your Homecoming!! And thank so much for the offer to help with other members questions

patchouli, PTO Admin

Old 05-05-2017, 07:43 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgelpz View Post
Hello all,

I was just recently released from prison in March, 2017 after serving two years. If anyone has any questions, please feel free to either respond to this thread or private message me. ANY questions are welcomed! Remember - it is always best to find out as much as you can about a new situation before you experience it. Go in prepared!

-S
Congratulations on your release. I wish you the best of luck in the future.

That said, I do have a couple of questions. Did you encounter many prisoners in the DOC's custody who were not able to receive visitors because their loved ones were unable to afford the transportation costs associated with making a visit to a New Jersey prison? Do you think it would be a good idea for a church group to begin offering free transportation to those who want to visit NJ prisoners but who are unable to afford the costs associated with make a trip to a state prison?

Thanks in advance for any help that you can give to me. Again, good luck in the future. I will say a little prayer for you.
Old 05-10-2017, 11:23 PM

Default Visitors

Thank you very much for your kind words...it is wonderful being back out and being able to enjoy my freedom, along with the company of my family and loved ones - it is truly a blessing!

To be honest with you, it isn't as common as you might think for inmates to not be visited because of lack of money for transportation. Unfortunately, the majority of inmates do NOT receive visits - if I had to put a percentage on it, only 10% of inmates get regular visits. I was very fortunate, as most weekends I had at least ONE visit. Every week, each visit had roughly the SAME inmates there with very little variation. The most common reason for inmates not receiving visits was because of lack of family connection. Some people lost contact with their families and/or their families not wanting to have anything to do with them. Very unfortunate and unfair but reality...

That being said, I do think that the organizing of a church group that provides free transportation to the prisons would not only be a great deal, but also a blessing for inmates who need to see their loved ones. I can't see anything but benefit with your idea!

Any other questions, please feel free to ask!

Thanks,
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelly_Belly View Post
Congratulations on your release. I wish you the best of luck in the future.

That said, I do have a couple of questions. Did you encounter many prisoners in the DOC's custody who were not able to receive visitors because their loved ones were unable to afford the transportation costs associated with making a visit to a New Jersey prison? Do you think it would be a good idea for a church group to begin offering free transportation to those who want to visit NJ prisoners but who are unable to afford the costs associated with make a trip to a state prison?

Thanks in advance for any help that you can give to me. Again, good luck in the future. I will say a little prayer for you.
The Following User Says Thank You to georgelpz For This Useful Post:
Jelly_Belly (05-10-2017)
Old 06-06-2017, 08:13 PM

Do you know how I can find out if essex county jail is on lockdown
Old 06-06-2017, 09:09 PM

Default Lockdown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrzpretty View Post
Do you know how I can find out if essex county jail is on lockdown

Hello there,

To answer your question about Essex County Jail being being on lockdown...unfortunately, most lockdowns of jail facilities are for the purpose of security, so the only way that you would be able to find out if they are on lockdown is to call the jail and ask. Sounds silly, but it is the only way. Remember as well - your loved ones tier may be locked down and the rest of the facility running as normal. COs have carte blanche to lockdown a tier for any reason...most reasons being misbehaving inmates or noncompliance of rules. This happened to the tier I was on in prison quite a bit. COs love punishing whole tiers for one inmates wrongdoings.

If you have anything else, please don't hesitate to ask.

-Dave
Old 06-07-2017, 07:22 AM

Thank you for your response I called they said it's no lockdown in place so I guess he just don't wanna call
The Following User Says Thank You to Mrzpretty For This Useful Post:
georgelpz (06-08-2017)
Old 06-07-2017, 08:23 AM

"Unfortunately, the majority of inmates do NOT receive visits - if I had to put a percentage on it, only 10% of inmates get regular visits. I was very fortunate, as most weekends I had at least ONE visit. Every week, each visit had roughly the SAME inmates there with very little variation. The most common reason for inmates not receiving visits was because of lack of family connection. Some people lost contact with their families and/or their families not wanting to have anything to do with them. Very unfortunate and unfair but reality..."

Just have to say that this makes me so sad : ( I know it is a reality, but wish it weren't so. Thank goodness, this was not your experience!!
Old 06-08-2017, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiles844 View Post
"Unfortunately, the majority of inmates do NOT receive visits - if I had to put a percentage on it, only 10% of inmates get regular visits. I was very fortunate, as most weekends I had at least ONE visit. Every week, each visit had roughly the SAME inmates there with very little variation. The most common reason for inmates not receiving visits was because of lack of family connection. Some people lost contact with their families and/or their families not wanting to have anything to do with them. Very unfortunate and unfair but reality..."

Just have to say that this makes me so sad : ( I know it is a reality, but wish it weren't so. Thank goodness, this was not your experience!!
It definitely is sad! Thankfully it wasn't my experience. Having weekly visits gave me something to look forward to each week. It definitely made the weeks more bearable. It was tough however to see the same people, week after week, have no one coming to see them when you were going for a visit.
Old 06-19-2017, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgelpz View Post
Hello all,

-S
Did you go to an assessment center? Can you give me any info on Talbot Hall?
Old 06-21-2017, 01:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SErubio View Post
Did you go to an assessment center? Can you give me any info on Talbot Hall?
Hello,

I did not go to an assessment center, however I was sent to a program as a condition of my parole after my incarceration for 6 months in Newark, which was a halfway house. I never was in Talbot Hall, however.

What I DO know about it is that is in Kearny and that an inmate must stay there for a minimum of 90 days before they are assigned to a halfway house for the remainder of their sentence. I do know a bit about halfway houses so if you need any info on them, just let me know!
Old 01-22-2018, 11:51 AM

Default He was sent back to Prison from HWH

He was sent back to Prison from a HWH yesterday. They came in and terminated our visit almost as soon as we sat down. They claimed I "put something in his pants". I found out late yesterday they sent him to Garden State. What will happen next? Does he need to go to a hearing? Will he get more time? Will I be able to see him or hear from him?

Any information would be so much appreciated.

Thank you.
Old 01-22-2018, 12:11 PM

Sorry to hear about your situation!

What happens now with him now is that he will most likely get sent back to CRAF to have what's called a C4 hearing, which is a hearing that determines if he violated any rule pertaining to Halfway House regulations. That hearing can take place anywhere from a few days to a few weeks from now. If they determine that he did or did not violate any rules, there are number of things that can happen. They could simply find no cause in the charge filed against him and they can send him back to the Halfway House he was at or make him go back to the assessment center (Talbot Hall or Bo Robinson) for a period of time before they send him back to the Halfway House. If they find him guilty, they could still do what I just said, or, classify him back to a prison in the state to do some time behind the wall as a punishment. That being said, there are a variety of different things that they can do and there's really no saying what they will or won't do on any given day. If what happened is what you said happened then most likely he has nothing to worry about and they will send him back to the HH. You must be patient through the whole process; I know it's killing you not to know his status, but it will all be worked out in the end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvigna View Post
He was sent back to Prison from a HWH yesterday. They came in and terminated our visit almost as soon as we sat down. They claimed I "put something in his pants". I found out late yesterday they sent him to Garden State. What will happen next? Does he need to go to a hearing? Will he get more time? Will I be able to see him or hear from him?

Any information would be so much appreciated.

Thank you.