Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR FAMILY & FRIENDS > General Prison Talk
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Prison Talk Does your issue not fit into another forum? Post it here. Find support, answers and assistance.

Old 04-29-2018, 09:39 AM
Donation Award 

Thanked 4,864 Times in 2,294 Posts
Default How to improve his credit?

So now that the dust has settled and we approach our plan to rebuild, he gave me his information to pull his credit report. He was not ready to deal with it last year.

I mentioned to him that if luck is on our side we have a year and half to clean up what we can. He was ready to face it. He was not sure what would be there from his divorce. Judgements etc. I was afraid of him coming out and having wages garnished. I figured forarmed was better.

To our surprise, he has no credit! Ghost credit is what they call it. Two small collections.

To make sure this is done right, so he can eventually get a car etc when he is home working, where would you recommend starting. I know if he is successful and independent once home the trip back is less likely. He has a trade, skills etc. The transition is hard enough and having extra piled on that could be taken care of ahead of time is worth the few hrs here and there.

So from my research:

There is a self lender acct. It is technically a revolving loan, but a saving acct in reality. You pay into it and at the end of the term get a check. 1-2 years is the term. I didn't want to do this yet, because he won't be out to cash the check. Don't want to lose that money. As the time gets closer, I'll do it.

Secured cards I'm assuming will help.

For optimum card starting out, I read 1-3% utilization. 2 cc, 1 store card and a revolving acct.

Anything else?

Btw we felt like we hit the lottery when we opened it. I sent him the report the addresses and a letter to dispute the collections acct for him to copy.

I'm still working on mine and it looks like his will be better than mine will when this is all said and done. Haha!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to onedayatatime13 For This Useful Post:
*Da Princess* (05-06-2018), do97jdl (06-07-2018), xolady (04-29-2018)
Sponsored Links
Old 04-29-2018, 09:51 AM

Thanked 5,994 Times in 3,116 Posts

I had no credit either I took out a small personal loan and just make my pymts auto drawn every month so I will have decent credit. I thought mine was a mess but surprisingly it was just no credit. But in order to build credit he has to have an income or he won't be able to build credit.
The Following User Says Thank You to xolady For This Useful Post:
joybubby (05-24-2018)
Old 04-29-2018, 09:51 AM
Site Moderator

Thanked 23,999 Times in 8,426 Posts

I have no advice for you, but I'll be watching this thread. My own credit score is quite good, which is surprising given my debt to income ratio. I work on it, then another hospital bill comes along. :/ But...

My husband went in so young, he has none. I'm fiercely protective of my credit score because I just assumed we'd both be relying on it when he comes home. Now you have me thinking-- is there some way to get him started before then?

Thanks for starting the topic!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
onedayatatime13 (04-29-2018), xolady (04-29-2018)
Old 04-29-2018, 09:56 AM

Thanked 4,071 Times in 1,243 Posts

You may be able add him as an authorized user on your own credit card. Not all cards will report positive credit details about authorized users, but most major banks do and it’s a super easy way to get a payment history.
Old 04-29-2018, 09:58 AM
Donation Award 

Some cards don't care about income. If a secure card was 200 and I put 200 on the card, it is basically a debit with prepaid. I would throw Netflix on it or something super small.

Self lender you pick the terms..i opened one for myself. Some states do not have it, but credit unions do have something similar.

Being married Mia, it may ask household income which you would use yours. We are not married yet, so Im not sure of how that factors in. I know many stay at homes with credit and do not have an income outside their significant other. Im not looking to get him a line of credit for 10k or anything like that. Just a respectable score, so he can hit the ground running and feel confident.

If we wait, we wait. He is not worried about it as much as I am. Once he has a job, he said we could get moving on it. As of now. He can't drive for 6 months when he gets out unless the law changes. It was proposed, but nothing happened yet.

Projects keep my mind occupied and helps view this time as useful. Why waste the opportunity? Get it down now, so later will be easier.

Last edited by onedayatatime13; 04-29-2018 at 10:08 AM..
Fridyrr.Likn (04-30-2018), miamac (04-29-2018), xolady (04-29-2018)
Old 04-29-2018, 10:01 AM
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marseille View Post
You may be able add him as an authorized user on your own credit card. Not all cards will report positive credit details about authorized users, but most major banks do and it’s a super easy way to get a payment history.
We discussed this too. I have a few small cards, but limits are too close. Utilization is too high, so right now I won't add him bc it would hurt him.

I asked him if his mom or bro have ones they could add him too. He is going to find out bc even to improve his credit length they would many more years than I.

But, if they stop paying them or whatever it could hurt him in the long run. Once I get my utilization down, I have no problem adding him to mine. Just not yet.

Last edited by onedayatatime13; 04-29-2018 at 10:08 AM..
Old 04-29-2018, 10:07 AM
Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by onedayatatime13 View Post
Im npt looking to get him a line of credit for 10k or anything like that. Just a respectable score, so he can hit the ground running and feel confident.

If we wait, we wait. He is not worried about it as much as I am. Once he has a job, he said we could get moving on it.
Absolutely agree! With us, he has no idea the impact a score can have on things. I don't know that it would even occur to him because he worked cash-paying jobs before and made money illegally. Credit score? He's never had a bank account. When I talk to him about it, I can tell he's still got that 'when I need money, I go get it' mentality. Legally, of course. lol

Here's the thing-- I do not want our finances mingled. Meaning no joint cards, no joint accounts, not so much as a shared cell phone account. When the house is signed over to me fully, I will put his name on it because it will be his home (currently I'm survivor and my parents are loan holders). But I have never had joint accounts with my partners and I'm not going to start now. He could be Dave Ramsey and I wouldn't do it. So the things I would be willing to get started would be solely in his name. Is that possible while he's incarcerated?
The Following User Says Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
xolady (04-29-2018)
Old 04-29-2018, 10:09 AM
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamac View Post
Absolutely agree! With us, he has no idea the impact a score can have on things. I don't know that it would even occur to him because he worked cash-paying jobs before and made money illegally. Credit score? He's never had a bank account. When I talk to him about it, I can tell he's still got that 'when I need money, I go get it' mentality. Legally, of course. lol

Here's the thing-- I do not want our finances mingled. Meaning no joint cards, no joint accounts, not so much as a shared cell phone account. When the house is signed over to me fully, I will put his name on it because it will be his home (currently I'm survivor and my parents are loan holders). But I have never had joint accounts with my partners and I'm not going to start now. He could be Dave Ramsey and I wouldn't do it. So the things I would be willing to get started would be solely in his name. Is that possible while he's incarcerated?
Do you have POA?
The Following User Says Thank You to onedayatatime13 For This Useful Post:
miamac (04-29-2018)
Old 04-29-2018, 10:19 AM
Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by onedayatatime13 View Post
Do you have POA?
No. I know there are different types. Or at least, I know with my parents I have medical POA and then their financial institution has their own financial POA form that has to be renewed every now and again. Husband and I are in two different states, as well. So maybe it varies? I've got much to learn...
Old 04-29-2018, 10:23 AM
Donation Award 

Quote:
No. I know there are different types. Or at least, I know with my parents I have medical POA and then their financial institution has their own financial POA form that has to be renewed every now and again. Husband and I are in two different states, as well. So maybe it varies? I've got much to learn...
We both got the time to learn! Lol

I hope some who has done this comes along. If there is not much to do now, then having a list for when they come home of next steps is just as awesome. I keep a binder of plans, ideas, drawings of houses he has made, and anything else that comes up.

I'm huge on getting goals/dreams on paper.
do97jdl (06-07-2018), gvalliant (04-29-2018), miamac (04-29-2018)
Old 04-29-2018, 11:01 AM

Thanked 3,005 Times in 1,805 Posts

I would do a secured credit card. I just signed up for one myself today. As soon as my husband gets home we will be getting him one to.
Old 04-29-2018, 11:59 AM
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,753 Times in 743 Posts

This is a good topic. Anything to create, maintain, improve their credit even a small extent that does not negatively impact you is a good thing.

POA forms are easy and necessary start I think. Generic ones are available on the web and they all read pretty much the same within a given state. Control of financial matters like bank and credit are among items covered on the forms. I believe a POA should allow you to open a bank account for them.

If they have no credit or loans or anything I'm not sure what to do about that. My son did have a bank account, he did have 2 credit cards with relatively small credit limits. Got myself as a second user on them, he is the primary. He signed a POA. I have used his cards occasionally just to fill my car with gas. Then pay his bill in full on time. It is minimal but something. I have to buy gas anyway. It does help maintain his credit rating.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gvalliant For This Useful Post:
do97jdl (06-07-2018), xolady (04-29-2018)
Old 04-29-2018, 12:06 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,753 Times in 743 Posts

Quote:
Do a POA for both states. He will have to pay to notarize both from his account. I do not know what they charge in prison, but notary service is available. It was about $15 for outside notary - we did it before his incarceration.
Old 04-29-2018, 01:39 PM

Thanked 5,994 Times in 3,116 Posts

Just going by a friend telling me this you can't get credit in someone else's name it's considered fraud. I asked him as his exwife got cards in his name and ran his credit into the ground, anyway I don't think adding someone to another's credit cards will help their credit.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xolady For This Useful Post:
AndyS (04-29-2018), joybubby (05-24-2018)
Old 04-29-2018, 02:43 PM
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xolady View Post
Just going by a friend telling me this you can't get credit in someone else's name it's considered fraud. I asked him as his exwife got cards in his name and ran his credit into the ground, anyway I don't think adding someone to another's credit cards will help their credit.
If that is the case even with POA, then we wait. He is going to dispute stuff on his own. I think he needs a letter from them as proof of residency to send with it.

When he gets home, we hit the ground running. Find work is the priority.
xolady (04-29-2018)
Old 04-29-2018, 04:45 PM
Off-Paper Since 2009
Donation Award 

Thanked 3,116 Times in 1,200 Posts

As soon as he gets out, have him get one of these:

https://www.capitalone.com/credit-ca...ed-mastercard/

Load it with a $500 deposit, and he'll receive a credit line of $651.

Use it to make small purchases but make sure he pays it off in full each month, so as to avoid that high interest rate.

That secured Mastercard specifically reports to all three credit bureaus, so after a year of responsible usage, his credit score should be boosted significantly and he should be able to apply for an unsecured card.

At which point, you can close that secured card and get your $500 deposit back.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Nickel Timer For This Useful Post:
do97jdl (06-07-2018), Fridyrr.Likn (04-30-2018), miamac (04-29-2018), MissStar (05-13-2018), onedayatatime13 (04-29-2018), xolady (04-29-2018)
Old 04-29-2018, 05:05 PM

Thanked 3,005 Times in 1,805 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickel Timer View Post
As soon as he gets out, have him get one of these:

https://www.capitalone.com/credit-ca...ed-mastercard/

Load it with a $500 deposit, and he'll receive a credit line of $651.

Use it to make small purchases but make sure he pays it off in full each month, so as to avoid that high interest rate.

That secured Mastercard specifically reports to all three credit bureaus, so after a year of responsible usage, his credit score should be boosted significantly and he should be able to apply for an unsecured card.

At which point, you can close that secured card and get your $500 deposit back.
I just applied for this today for myself. Do they go with their word and give you back your deposit after you made your first five payments??
Old 04-29-2018, 06:47 PM
Off-Paper Since 2009
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nygirl17 View Post
I just applied for this today for myself. Do they go with their word and give you back your deposit after you made your first five payments??
I'm not sure if you can get your deposit back without closing the card. What I did was just use that card for a year, making timely payments in full. Then once my credit score had been restored back above 700, I was able to apply and get approved for an unsecured Discover card, so I just closed that secured CapitalOne card and they automatically mailed me a check for the $500 back within a couple weeks after.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nickel Timer For This Useful Post:
Fridyrr.Likn (04-30-2018), xolady (04-29-2018)
Old 04-29-2018, 09:31 PM

Thanked 4,071 Times in 1,243 Posts

I wouldn’t close the account, unless you REALLY need that $500. For one, it shortens the length of your credit history because you just closed what could have been your longest-held account (if you are just starting out) and Two, it reduces your available credit do your utilization percentage goes up and that has major impact on your score.
Old 04-29-2018, 10:29 PM
Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marseille View Post
I wouldn’t close the account, unless you REALLY need that $500. For one, it shortens the length of your credit history because you just closed what could have been your longest-held account (if you are just starting out) and Two, it reduces your available credit do your utilization percentage goes up and that has major impact on your score.
I wish I could get my mother to understand this. Unless the specific card charges an annual fee, keep it open. Use it once in a while, like gvalliant mentioned, and it helps boost your score. Honestly it's a big part of why my mine is decent. I'm not yet 40 and my oldest line of credit is 21 years!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
AndyS (04-30-2018), Fridyrr.Likn (04-30-2018)
Old 04-30-2018, 10:37 AM
Site Moderator
Donation Award 

Thanked 24,230 Times in 13,894 Posts

Credit Unions are often less stringent than banks. He can find one he is eligible to join, and apply for a "secured loan" which is similar to a secured credit card. His payment/usage history will usually help him to move up to an actual car loan (which is also secured by the value of the vehicle). Once he is established there, he will have all of his credit needs available from the credit union.

Income is always crucial for either the borrower or the co-signer.
Old 04-30-2018, 08:22 PM

Thanked 11,113 Times in 6,009 Posts

The BEST collective source of information about credit will be found at creditboards dot com.

With respect to this thread, there isn't much that can be done to open new accounts until the release has occurred, even with a POA. This is not to say that some bank may not process the application online, but considering the fabrication of some information that would be required, it is NOT worth the risks.

As to secured cards, they have their place, but do not get hung up on a bunch of toy limits. And that is all a $500 deposit is going to get you...toy limits. If you HAVE to go secured, then put at least a few thousand into ONE and then use it responsibly. The better banks that have a secured product will NOT be fee-laden, although they may get you for $50 or so per year. Generally, annual fees should be avoided unless you extract more from the card in rewards than the fee costs you. There ARE some secured products that have rewards...

There are some banks that have even larger limits on the secured cards. One Chicago bank used to offer customers the option to deposit up to $25K. And yes, there are people who have that sort of scratch and are simply trying to build or re-build (especially those who were post-BK). In my case, I went cash-only for a number of years and later discovered that I had been hit by identity theft for about a quarter-million in total losses. Rebuilding from that damage was what helped me find CB in the first place...

Lastly...people need to remember that score is not a be-all, end-all. Unless you have a major purchase on the horizon, three-digit numbers are often meaningless. If you are purchasing a vehicle, anything over an auto-enhanced 720 is usually going to get you the best rates. It isn't that difficult to manage a low-mid 700's score...the quest for 800 plus is nothing but ego-massaging. Also...the scores on most sites is NOT what your lender is looking at. If it does not have FICO, the banks are not using it. If it DOES say FICO or Fair Isaac, it may not be the model your lender is utilizing.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CenTexLyn For This Useful Post:
Critter07 (06-23-2018), fbopnomore (05-01-2018), miamac (04-30-2018)
Old 04-30-2018, 08:46 PM
Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CenTexLyn View Post
Lastly...people need to remember that score is not a be-all, end-all. Unless you have a major purchase on the horizon, three-digit numbers are often meaningless. If you are purchasing a vehicle, anything over an auto-enhanced 720 is usually going to get you the best rates.
Yep. I wasn't thinking strictly about lenders, though. Some employers pull credit scores and so do insurance companies. Given that I own our home, we won't have any major purchases that would require a loan, and he'll have some heavy explaining to do if he intends to take out an auto-loan for his first vehicle. So I'm more concerned about simply establishing credit rather than going big on the score.
The Following User Says Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (05-01-2018)
Old 05-01-2018, 07:05 PM
Off-Paper Since 2009
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CenTexLyn View Post
As to secured cards, they have their place, but do not get hung up on a bunch of toy limits. And that is all a $500 deposit is going to get you...toy limits. If you HAVE to go secured, then put at least a few thousand into ONE and then use it responsibly.
I agree that a sub-$1000 credit line isn't optimal, but for those with no credit history whatsoever even a modest credit line with on-time payments for a year can do wonders in boosting your credit score.

Once I had boosted my credit score back up to 729 with that CapitalOne secured card, I was able to get an unsecured Discover card with a $5500 credit line. I don't know how much my FICO score dropped upon closing out that CapitalOne secured card at that point to get my deposit back, but after another year of responsible usage on my Discover, my credit score was still above 700 and I was able to open other unsecured lines of credit with higher limits as well.

You got to start somewhere. For someone just getting fresh out of prison without thousands of dollars in the bank to part with for a deposit, even a more modest deposit on a secured credit card will produce results.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Nickel Timer For This Useful Post:
cherriebomb (05-21-2018), kari dunn (08-04-2019), lizlizzie2 (05-06-2018), miamac (05-01-2018), onedayatatime13 (05-01-2018)
Old 05-01-2018, 07:08 PM
Donation Award 

Thank you all for the advice. Initially, we thought he might need to declare bankruptcy, but thankfully that is not the case. Last he knew his ex maxed out his cards and stuff. So we would have tried to get the balling rolling on that if that was the case.

He will try to handle the two collections. I gave him a letter to copy, so for now that is all we can do.

When he comes home, we will start on the rest and move forward.
joybubby (05-24-2018)