Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!






Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR FAMILY & FRIENDS > General Prison Talk
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Prison Talk Does your issue not fit into another forum? Post it here. Find support, answers and assistance.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-10-2019, 07:02 AM
scaredmom59 scaredmom59 is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: kentucky america
Posts: 18
Thanks: 38
Thanked 20 Times in 8 Posts
Default Lawsuit dismissed=restraint chair

This did not happen to my loved one. Here goes. An inmate filed a lawsuit against the jail he's in. The lawsuit was dismissed. On Tuesday the COs told him to go to intake, and everyone thought he was being transferred. Yesterday, the other inmates saw him in a restraint chair, and believe he was in it all night. I know retaliation is common with these people, but I think that is gestapo bullshit. WHY does the DOC even have list of codes, if they won't enforce them? I know he can file a grievance, but really - it goes to the Jailer - who makes the decision about whether it's valid. LOL! Wonder what their "next level" is.....
__________________
One day at a time.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to scaredmom59 For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (01-10-2019)
Sponsored Links
  #2  
Old 01-11-2019, 11:32 AM
Bikerguy Bikerguy is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: New York, USA
Posts: 66
Thanks: 8
Thanked 203 Times in 57 Posts
Default

Good morning,

As a CO I will tell you that placing an inmate in a restraint chair is serious business and is only done when there is a very strong chance that the inmate will harm himself, other inmates or staff. A chair is usually the last resort after all other avenues have been attempted. It takes someone with some rank to make the determination when someone goes into the chair.

When someone goes into the chair there is a requirement that they are checked on, in my prison it is every 15 minutes. And they have to sign in sheet to insure it is being done. If possible the inmate is also video taped during the whole time. As for how long someone stays in the chair. Well until they are no longer a danger to themselves or others.

As for grievances, inmates can file all the way up the chain of command from their case manager to the Warden. Even the Warden has a boss and inmates can file grievances with them.

Inmates can also file within the actual legal/court system with or without a lawyer.
Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bikerguy For This Useful Post:
a.rare.love (01-11-2019), KiwiPP (01-11-2019), sidewalker (01-12-2019)
  #3  
Old 01-11-2019, 12:57 PM
sass4221's Avatar
sass4221 sass4221 is offline
Super Moderator

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Super Moderator Staff Superstar Winner Easter Egg Hunt 2013 - Participant 

 

Join Date: May 2008
Location: KY
Posts: 5,175
Thanks: 3,448
Thanked 5,773 Times in 2,896 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikerguy View Post

As for grievances, inmates can file all the way up the chain of command from their case manager to the Warden. Even the Warden has a boss and inmates can file grievances with them.

Inmates can also file within the actual legal/court system with or without a lawyer.
That's not quite the way it works in this instance. He's a state inmate housed in a full service jail, not a prison. His grievance go to the jailer and if he dispenses with them, the inmate can contact the Jail Services Specialist to complain. That person will check into the issue.

Before an inmate can file anything in court related to grievances or write ups he must first exhaust all administrative remedies.
__________________
Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sass4221 For This Useful Post:
KiwiPP (01-11-2019), miamac (01-11-2019), scaredmom59 (01-12-2019)
  #4  
Old 01-11-2019, 01:11 PM
miamac's Avatar
miamac miamac is offline
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

 

Join Date: May 2013
Location: ORnativeAZresCAtied
Posts: 10,214
Thanks: 13,565
Thanked 19,740 Times in 7,080 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sass4221 View Post
Before an inmate can file anything in court related to grievances or write ups he must first exhaust all administrative remedies.
And that time frame can be long, the process daunting and fraught with potential backlash. We had an example of that on the forum last year(?) in FL that landed the inmate in the hospital and a major lawsuit against staff and the DOC. I typically side with accepting the process of filing grievances as laid out by each jurisdiction, but only with the caveat that you are filing against the same people who oversee your well-being. Make sure it's worth it.

OP-- I hope the person was eventually moved and things settle down for all involved.
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
KiwiPP (01-11-2019), scaredmom59 (01-12-2019)
  #5  
Old 01-11-2019, 09:58 PM
a.rare.love's Avatar
a.rare.love a.rare.love is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: California
Posts: 1,162
Thanks: 5,169
Thanked 726 Times in 515 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikerguy View Post
Good morning,

As a CO I will tell you that placing an inmate in a restraint chair is serious business and is only done when there is a very strong chance that the inmate will harm himself, other inmates or staff. A chair is usually the last resort after all other avenues have been attempted. It takes someone with some rank to make the determination when someone goes into the chair.

When someone goes into the chair there is a requirement that they are checked on, in my prison it is every 15 minutes. And they have to sign in sheet to insure it is being done. If possible the inmate is also video taped during the whole time. As for how long someone stays in the chair. Well until they are no longer a danger to themselves or others.

As for grievances, inmates can file all the way up the chain of command from their case manager to the Warden. Even the Warden has a boss and inmates can file grievances with them.

Inmates can also file within the actual legal/court system with or without a lawyer.


Great info, thanks for this, Biker.

Adios.
__________________
#TAAS (there are always signs,so DON'T ignore them)
Lead with your MIND + not your heart.



Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
BOP Sexual Harassment Lawsuit Dismissed Zelda50 Federal System News, Events and Legal Issues 5 07-08-2012 02:34 PM
Can the Restraint chair be used In Texas Juvie? jonjo2011 Texas General Prison Talk 1 04-17-2011 11:28 AM
Lawsuit filed over use of jail restraint chair Judeca California Prison & Criminal Justice News & Events + 3 Strikes 1 01-03-2008 01:24 AM
Abuse tied to Iowan's restraint chair witchlinblue Canada - General Prison Talk, News, Introductions & Chit Chat 0 03-11-2006 10:09 PM
Wasn't the 4 point (or 5 point) restraint chair outlawed? Menally-Ill General Prison Talk 10 02-20-2003 12:55 AM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:50 PM.
Copyright © 2001- 2017 Prison Talk Online
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Website Design & Custom vBulletin Skins by: Relivo Media
Message Board Statistics