Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > NEW YORK > New York Prisons & Jails > Other New York Prisons & Jails
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Other New York Prisons & Jails This forums is for conversations, discussions and information for all New York Prisons and Jails that do not have a dedicated forum.

Old 01-10-2019, 06:22 PM

Default Upstate correctional facility question: "they" labelled it as contraband

Good evening,

Long story short; hubby is in Upstate correctional as a cadre worker and usually gets packages, frequently and also mail from a family member. This time he received a letter that had six copies from the family member and he was told the maximum pages that he can receive via mail is 5 pages so they (the COs) gave him a paper or possible ticket; on the paper it says "received contraband" and the reason is "pages received was over 5". He isnt sure what it is because he said they just gave him a paper and didnt specify if it was a ticket. He is a trouble free person and never received any disciplinary infractions. He is also a cadre worker too. He has a easygoing attitude and just says if this is a ticket, he will just deal with it because he isnt trying to cause any issue but I'm worried from my end because he will have infraction and it will take away from his good time. I'm also qorried about which (tier 1, tier 2 or tier3) level this would possible classified as? Just hoping it's just a warning or so. Thanks for reading.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-10-2019, 06:37 PM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 19,734 Times in 7,079 Posts

Sorry, not familiar with NY but how could they give him any sort of disciplinary for receiving contraband when they held it? I can understand if he'd actually received mail that contained concealed items, but...wha??
I'm sorry this happened and hopefully someone can come along and give better advice.
Old 01-10-2019, 06:47 PM

Thanked 2,796 Times in 1,317 Posts

I'll ask mine if he ever heard of that happening to someone. Wont be until tomorrow. We just got off the phone. He may get a low level ticket, keep lock, or just throw out the letter. Contraband is technically anything not allowed.

I'm guessing though so dont take my word for it.

The Following User Says Thank You to onedayatatime13 For This Useful Post:
miamac (01-11-2019)
Old 01-11-2019, 10:16 AM

No ticket involved, just a notification.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ms Sunny For This Useful Post:
miamac (01-11-2019)
Old 01-11-2019, 11:05 AM

As a correctional officer I don't see how they can write up someone just for getting an extra sheet of paper.

Most likely its just a notification that he received unauthorized mail and it was being returned to sender.

In my prison we hand out notifications during mail call all the time. That way the inmates know that something their LO sent did not get lost in the system, but in fact made it to the prison but was rejected.

Now if it was something that contained ACTUAL contraband...like drugs....then both parties have a problem.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bikerguy For This Useful Post:
miamac (01-11-2019), Ms Sunny (01-11-2019)