Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > MEDICAL & HEALTH > General Health Care
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Health Care Prison Health Care.. Medical, medications and all that go with it related to health care in the prison system...

Old 01-09-2019, 10:45 PM

Default Oregon women’s prison becomes one of few to offer free tampons to inmates

I read this article the other day, which comes from my home state of Oregon. It gave me some hope that change is actually happening in our prisons, while it may be slowly, it's still something.

Since I can't post the link to the article, I've inserted andexcerpt here for you all to read and check out.
You can also google: 'Oregon Women's Prison Free Tampons' to see the full article

For as long as Paula Myers can remember, the state’s lone women’s prison has provided sanitary pads to inmates. But if women wanted tampons, they had to go to the prison store to buy them at a premium price.

The practice seemed out of touch to Myers, a longtime corrections administrator who was named superintendent of Coffee Creek Correctional Institution last spring. By fall, she arranged for the state to provide tampons to inmates who want them.

Oregon is among a small number of states that give tampons to inmates.

"Access to feminine hygiene products, to me, seems like a basic right," Myers said. “All women have different needs. I think supplying a variety of different products seems reasonable.”

https://www.oregonlive.com/news/2019...o-inmates.html

Last edited by sass4221; 01-10-2019 at 06:17 AM.. Reason: added link to article
The Following User Says Thank You to Penned For This Useful Post:
KiwiPP (01-10-2019)
Sponsored Links
Old 01-10-2019, 08:41 AM
CA, LASO, site sug. SUPER MOD

PTO Super Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 28,956 Times in 14,575 Posts

about time.

That's my dog's nose art

Old 01-13-2019, 05:02 PM

Actually, if the prisons want to save money in the long run as well as provide safe products, then the way to go is a menstrual cup. They are reusable and last for years. They also don't have the danger of toxic shock syndrome that tampons have.

When I was in county, once a month the guard would literally toss a small package of pads into the pod. They had approximately 30 pads and there were 18 of us. Which meant that only a handful of women who had seniority was able to get more then one paid. That meant the women who were locked up the longest got a whopping two pads! (Whoopee).
I had to resort using toilet paper to line my pad so it would last longer.but even pads that aren't being heavily bled on have a tendency to fall apart underneath that mesh weaving. One of my pieces of toilet paper fell out and thru my pant leg. No one knew it was from me, but the disgusted reaction was very vocal.
The jailer and a few of the inmates actually had the nerve to ask why was the inmate using toilet paper?
Old 01-13-2019, 06:16 PM

Jesus that is horrifying sanitary items are not a luxury. They should be provided with no further questions asked.
Old 01-13-2019, 06:54 PM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 19,768 Times in 7,095 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiwiPP View Post
Jesus that is horrifying sanitary items are not a luxury. They should be provided with no further questions asked.
And yet in many states they are taxed as one. Meaning they don't fall on the necessities exemption list like most food and medicine. And this is OUTSIDE of prison.

Women in the US don't have periods and if they do, they're not allowed to talk about it dontchya know?
The Following User Says Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
sidewalker (01-14-2019)