Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR "OFFENDERS" > Straight Talk
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Straight Talk The general Ex-Offender discussion forum. If you have done time, this forum is for you.

Old 12-28-2018, 02:52 AM
<-GE M-1000

Default Nephew In the System

OK folks, with my healing from my own criminal conviction completed, a 22 year long process to boot, I am beginning to understand why I went through it. To help others who are dealing with their own criminal issues. My nephew is in the middle of a two year stretch at Marcy for attempted sexual abuse (I won't go into the sordid details as they are irrelevant to the discussion). Since the crime was committed in Buffalo, Buffalo and Erie County is where he likely will be undergoing his post release supervision. As his uncle who went through the trials of career and life building post sentence, I can relate to what he is about to go through. To top it off, since his is a sex crime conviction, he'll likely be on the registry. Now, with all that in mind, how can I help him get reacclimated into the outside world? In relation to employment,etc.? Can I be utilized in an official way to assist him with his supervision?
fbopnomore (12-28-2018)
Sponsored Links
Old 12-28-2018, 09:11 PM

Thanked 3,141 Times in 1,476 Posts

Since he is in NY, I would look through that forum. Also, I would look to see how he laws have changed in regards to parole, registry and such. New legislature will be starting soon and there is talk of parole reform, but nothing concrete yet.

I know inside he will need to talk a sex offender program. Upstate there are resources such as the Osborne Association http://www.osborneny.org. they may able to tell help with reentry.

Old 12-29-2018, 02:13 PM

Thanked 1,674 Times in 662 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassman View Post
OK folks, with my healing from my own criminal conviction completed, a 22 year long process to boot, I am beginning to understand why I went through it. To help others who are dealing with their own criminal issues. My nephew is in the middle of a two year stretch at Marcy for attempted sexual abuse (I won't go into the sordid details as they are irrelevant to the discussion). Since the crime was committed in Buffalo, Buffalo and Erie County is where he likely will be undergoing his post release supervision. As his uncle who went through the trials of career and life building post sentence, I can relate to what he is about to go through. To top it off, since his is a sex crime conviction, he'll likely be on the registry. Now, with all that in mind, how can I help him get reacclimated into the outside world? In relation to employment,etc.? Can I be utilized in an official way to assist him with his supervision?

I think it's great that you want to help your nephew get through this & with reentry. I don't know about your area but many states don't want people with convictions helping or even being friendly with other people with a criminal history especially if the person will still be on supervision after release (probation/parole). They seem to think it's always for bad reasons but since you're related, it may not be an issue. I'd reach out to some advocacy groups to get ready for him. An advocacy group in NY that might have suggestions is CURE http://www.curenewyork.info/
Try the NARSOL sex offender advocacy group https://narsol.org/.
Good luck & I hope the new year brings positive things for you both.
Old 12-30-2018, 07:09 AM
CA, LASO, site sug. SUPER MOD

PTO Super Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 29,896 Times in 14,975 Posts

It may be possible to have contact with your nephew while he is on supervision.
I know in CA if you have a relative who is a felon you are able to have contact, but that would depend on NY's rules surrounding that.

Its important to find out how NY handles sex offender parole/probation. I know in CA my hub did not do any counseling until after he was released from prison.

The most difficult thing besides getting work, is going to be residence. By far the hardest thing to comply with is the states regulation surrounding and residence/presence, and if any local additional restrictions.
So follow up on NY's laws.

(note, in my state an offender has to parole to the county they were living at the time of the offense, and if they wanted to parole elsewhere they need a transfer......not easy)

That's my dog's nose art

The Following User Says Thank You to sidewalker For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (12-30-2018)