Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > RESOURCE CENTER > Prison & Jail Wedding Information Central
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Prison & Jail Wedding Information Central Everything about getting married in prison or jail. Notices, pictures, questions, stories, what to expect.

Old 08-28-2009, 02:17 PM

Thank you so much for this info...my man and i have talked about getting married...at least now i know what Ga. procedures are. As anyone dealing with GDC they know all too well how backwards it can be....
Sponsored Links
Old 10-07-2009, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaljo4 View Post
When I got married last year, I had all of the required things and he had to send me a notarized copy of his prison ID and the county used that to issue our license. His counselor had it notarized for him and he mailed it to me. I hope that this helps.
What county was this in? I cant seem to find one to do this!!!!!
Old 10-09-2009, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooleysgirl View Post
What county was this in? I cant seem to find one to do this!!!!!
Hi, I got our license in Gwinett Probate Court, 75 Langley Drive, Lawrenceville, GA (770)822-8265

I hope this helps you and congratulations.

Old 10-20-2009, 04:17 PM

I just got my marriage license in Telfair county but I've hit a wall because I know that I need to send the paper work daowntown. But everytime I call the head Chaplain of the DOC I never get an answer or get my calls returned. If anyone has any info or phone numbers as to what and where I need to send them for an approval date PLEASE send me a message back.

Old 10-20-2009, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonie View Post
I just got my marriage license in Telfair county but I've hit a wall because I know that I need to send the paper work daowntown. But everytime I call the head Chaplain of the DOC I never get an answer or get my calls returned. If anyone has any info or phone numbers as to what and where I need to send them for an approval date PLEASE send me a message back.
Moonie, did you have any problems getting yours in Telfair County? Congrats by the way...I have a friend that has a number. Let me call her and I will see what I can do!

Last edited by Poohbear2910; 10-20-2009 at 04:28 PM..
Old 10-21-2009, 09:29 PM

Smile

Thanks, it was very easy. He is in Telfair state prison so I don't know how easy it would be for someone who is housed outside of that county. All I had to do was have all of his info and all of mine which was our SS numbers, our parents names, parents places of birth, prior marriage info, our addresses, and his place of birth. They also asked for a copy of his badge. I then took the marriage application up to the prison he signed it and had it noterized. I took it back to the probate court where I paid my fee($61) and was issued the license. I would really appreciate the number so that we can go ahead and do this.

Old 10-21-2009, 09:32 PM

Smile

Cooleysgirl Thanks, it was very easy. He is in Telfair state prison so I don't know how easy it would be for someone who is housed outside of that county. All I had to do was have all of his info and all of mine which was our SS numbers, our parents names, parents places of birth, prior marriage info, our addresses, and his place of birth. They also asked for a copy of his badge. I then took the marriage application up to the prison he signed it and had it noterized. I took it back to the probate court where I paid my fee($61) and was issued the license. I would really appreciate the number so that we can go ahead and do this.

Old 10-22-2009, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonie View Post
Cooleysgirl Thanks, it was very easy. He is in Telfair state prison so I don't know how easy it would be for someone who is housed outside of that county. All I had to do was have all of his info and all of mine which was our SS numbers, our parents names, parents places of birth, prior marriage info, our addresses, and his place of birth. They also asked for a copy of his badge. I then took the marriage application up to the prison he signed it and had it noterized. I took it back to the probate court where I paid my fee($61) and was issued the license. I would really appreciate the number so that we can go ahead and do this.
Hi! I just sent you a PM.
Old 03-02-2010, 09:45 PM

Talking thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by babydoll113 View Post
The inmate has to take the first step by going to the Chaplain at the prison and request the marriage packet. The Chaplain will tell him what steps he has to take. My baby is in a Coffee Correctional Facility, a private prison in Georgia, so they have their own rules as well as DOC.
You will need to start getting some things such as yours and his birth certificate, social security cards, divorce papers if ever married before. I don't think all counties require this, so you will have to check with the probate court to see what they require. I've sent off for his birth certificate and his counselor was really nice and sent me a copy of his social security card,
The Chaplain at his facility does not perform the ceremony, and offered no help, so I had to find my own. They require a copy of the preacher's credentials.
Only approved ppl on his visitation list can attend the ceremony, which my family can't attend because they're not on his visitation list and can't be put on there til we're married.
This facility does not allow any photos!!!
They allow the last 15 minutes of visitation for our marriage (woo hoo, could they spare it???).
So, once he fills out the paperwork received from the Chaplain, he will send it to you. You will fill out your portion, get the marriage license and send to the Chaplain at the prison.
You will have to send a copy of the marriage license to DOC in Atlanta for approval.
Yes, you will have to have other approvals at the prison. In his, the Warden, the Assistant Warden, the Chief of Security and the Chaplain.
No wedding dress, no flowers.
He has to wear his prison whites, so I plan on wearing white jeans and a white blouse, and probably black boots to match his.....
We still haven't got all the paperwork turned in, so I'll update when its in and we get married. Hope this has helped. I'm sure all the facilities in Georgia are not like this one. They seem to have a whole lot of new rules of their own.
this was so helpful. my honnie is at central state prison in macon, ga and i have our marriage application with me filled out. now we need to find a minister to marry us and get his info to send everything for approval. but its sad that no one help us with infomation. what happened to the rehabilitation. its like they dont want em to be better. anyway thanks for this info, it was extremely helpful.
Old 07-03-2010, 05:46 PM
patiently waiting...

Default Georgia Prison Marriages

Me and my fiance' were suppose to get married next June. But he's done some things and its not going the way as planned since he's incarcerated. So now we want to go with the option of getting married while he's in prison. Could someone please give me as much details as I need to know how to get this process started? I will greatly appreciate it. I'm reading different articles where they say georgia does not allow proxy marriages so I need to know how do they allow inmates to get married. Once again, thanks
Old 07-03-2010, 07:29 PM
Donation Award 

same thing happened to me. I was married in GA prison. Have your fiance talk to his counselor and chaplain about it. some prisons require a wedding packet, some dont. we did not have to fill out the wedding packet but we had to jump through alot of hoops to get married. the hardest part is obtaining a marriage license. most counties will not sign a license if both groom and bride are not present. a few counties do (DeKalb was the one we used) but there was ALOT of paperwork needed. You need his Birth Cert, proof of incarceration, proof of desire to marry, proof of GA residency, SSN, picture ID and a notarized letter from the prison allowing the marriage. There is more but too much to write here. If you would like more info, you can PM me and I will gladly tell you more. Good luck and congrats!
Old 07-04-2010, 08:02 AM
mrsp4life

it is about a6 month long process with loads of papaerwork.we went thro dekalb co also

daddy & angel
Old 07-26-2010, 01:51 AM
Account Closed

Default Georgia marriage

My man sent the requests to the warden and the chaplain. He's at the pwc in Gwinnett. Has anyone on here gotten married there or know what I can expect now?
Old 08-06-2010, 08:12 PM

Default Got a letter, to call the Chaplin!!!

My fiance and got engaged before he went to prison, he was in a county jail first and know he is at Ga Diagnostic Center Prison. Does anyone know if we will be able to get married in there? Will I be able to touch him? I brought his ring last month. Does the ring have to be plain? If anyone can help me with my questions please feel free to respond. Thanks
Old 08-06-2010, 09:11 PM

I was just married in February at a Ga prison. You will more than likely need to wait until he is moved to his permanent facility, but they will let him have a ring. I was able to bring it in the day we got married. Let me know if you have any questions about the process. Yes, after he comes out of Diagnostics, you should be able to have contact visits, if you are approved for his list!
The Following User Says Thank You to Poohbear2910 For This Useful Post:
comittedtohim (08-07-2010)
Old 08-07-2010, 04:07 AM

Thumbs up

Ok I am new to this website, I hope you get this message. Thank you so much for responding. I am so clueless. So you said that I will have to wait until he gets a permanent facility? How long to they normally have to stay at G.D.P.C, before they are moved? What should I do to prepare myself for when he is moved? And yes I need all the steps on how to get married. Thanks again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooleysgirl View Post
I was just married in February at a Ga prison. You will more than likely need to wait until he is moved to his permanent facility, but they will let him have a ring. I was able to bring it in the day we got married. Let me know if you have any questions about the process. Yes, after he comes out of Diagnostics, you should be able to have contact visits, if you are approved for his list!
Old 08-07-2010, 09:28 AM

The time will vary until he is moved. They normally say 6 weeks, but it could be longer or shorter! How long has he been there?
Old 08-17-2010, 05:42 PM

Hey sorry I am just now responding, just been working. Anyway, I went to the county and got all the paper work to get married, they gave me the application, and said that he has to get it notarized, and fill out his part. My fiance just wrote me back and said that they told him that he should wait until he gets moved, because by the time all the paper work is complete and we pick a date he will be moved. How did you handle going home by yourself that day, and him not leaving with you?
Old 08-23-2010, 10:51 AM

I will not lie to you! It was a rough night! The drive home was okay as my daughter, his mother and the pastor was with us, but when I got home, it was pretty rough! It has gotten a little easier, but the hard part is keeping both of our spirits up! He has his bad days and I have mine, but we just work through it together! We only had about 2 hours for the whole ceremony and visit that day, so it goes pretty quickly. This can vary according to the chaplain at the facility, but we were able to buy him something to eat and we were able to take pictures during the ceremony. Actually, the chaplain took our pictures for us and took all the pictures after the ceremony. It was hard to leave him there and he was upset, he couldnt even look back at me leave.
Old 08-26-2010, 08:46 AM

ok; my fiance has decided that he does nt wnt 2 wait till his release so we're planning 2 marry @ Rogers SP. How do we get this process started? Is there anything I can do out here to expedite the process? I need full details of the whole process. Can anyone please HELP?
Old 08-29-2010, 07:20 AM

Default He was fianlly moved to a state prison

Hey how are you they fianlly moved him. I sent him the papers to get the marriage application signed and notarized. Now I have to find a pastor to marry us or a wedding officant to marry us. I found one place but it would be $350 I think that is a lot they were miliage $100.00 plus $250 for the services. I wish I could find someone closer, and then I am not sure how long the process will take. He goes up for parole in January. I really want to marry him like today if I could, but I am thinking that it will almost be time for him to come home once everything is figured out. What do you think. I am so confused right now.
Old 08-30-2010, 06:50 AM

Hello ladies! I believe I posted before in this forum but i cant seem 2 find it so here goes again.... My fiancee is currently incarcerated @ Rodgers SP in Ga and we've decided to jump the broom b4 his release in 2012 [ hopefully sooner, please GOD sooner], well needless to say I've never done this and I have no idea where 2 start. We decided 2 go ahead and do all that is required of us b4 its required so that things wnt b last min rushed and thrown 2gether; plus we hoped it would speed up the process. So what are all the steps we need 2 take? What exactly is required of us? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Old 08-30-2010, 08:23 AM

I am trying to marry a inmate @ Rodgers SP in Reidsville, Ga. Anybody w/ any idea how this process works please pm me. Thank u so much!
Old 08-31-2010, 03:49 PM

Hi honey nt sure if u were directing that comment 2wards me but I dnt think it will hurt to start the process; especially the marriage license and all the paper work. Prayerfully he'll be homer in January and then you guys can have the paperwork all done and jst go to the courthouse 2 make it official. Also Im sure you can find an officiant for cheaper; try Google.... Its a girls best friend. Lol. Good luck sweetie.
Old 09-02-2010, 07:35 PM
patiently waiting...

Does anyone know if you can get married in a county jail before prison? What would I have to do? My fiance' said someone got married their but he has to talk to them more in depth to find out what he did.