Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR "OFFENDERS" > Probation, Parole & Supervision
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Probation, Parole & Supervision Having problems (or need info) with Probation, Parole or Community Corrections & Supervision?? Lets talk about it here.

Old 03-05-2018, 03:58 PM

Default Will I really Get Off Probation?

My question is will the judge listen to my probation officer's request about letting me off supervision?

I am afraid to kind of get my hopes up. I'm pregnant and due in May. It doesn't really matter but I would just like to not be on probation anymore by the time I have my baby if that is the case. Last April I had a probation violation where I have met all the terms except the time, which was 3 years of probation and to pay all the court fines, which I have done all but the last $600 and anticipate having that all paid up in 3 weeks. The original charge was DUI1st with a felony child neglect charge for having a child in the car. I currently am not bothered by going in to see my PO at all. I just tell myself that it is free life coaching. I have never failed a drug test but I have obviously had some problems with supervision due to my active alcoholism. I have been sober for a little more than a year now, which I am quite proud of. Before that though, I messed up a lot. I can elaborate on how I was messing up if anyone needs that to tell me their thoughts.

I guess the only other remaining relevant information is that the first PO I had was in Virginia Beach and doesn't like me because I earned his disdain with my poor behavior. I then moved and my probation was outsourced to Suffolk but as I understand it, the first PO is still my PO, he just isn't the one I report to. I would imagine if this request went across his desk and I were him that I would absolutely laugh at this request.

So, today I reported for my regular visit with my PO and she said she was going to draft a letter to ask the court to release me from supervision. She said that Virginia Beach does not require that all the court costs be paid, just that the payments have been consistent. I have heard from variable sources that you only have to do a year of probation and then it is up to the PO to suggest to the court to release you and I have heard that you have to do half of the time at least. Whatever, I just didn't think she was going to suggest this today after I showed her my 1 year chip from AA this morning. She says if it is denied that she is going to put in a request for phone reporting. This makes me feel like that it can be denied and maybe she isn't really sure what will happen.

What do you guys think? Is her request to release me from probation letter premature?
The Following User Says Thank You to C-sun For This Useful Post:
xolady (03-05-2018)
Sponsored Links
Old 03-05-2018, 05:25 PM

Thanked 5,814 Times in 3,036 Posts

I doubt it's premature she know's way better then we do.
Old 03-05-2018, 05:50 PM

Thank you for your thoughts. I feel like a fool hoping she is right.
Old 03-05-2018, 06:08 PM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 19,983 Times in 11,677 Posts

Judges often follow the PO's recommendation, but it is definitely not certain that yours will. I like your chances to be released from probation, but don't celebrate until you receive a formal notification that you are actually finished with supervision.
Old 03-05-2018, 06:22 PM

Thanked 5,814 Times in 3,036 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-sun View Post
Thank you for your thoughts. I feel like a fool hoping she is right.
Never feel like a fool for having hope there's alway's hope when there's life!!!
Old 03-06-2018, 07:26 AM
CA, LASO, site sug. SUPER MOD

PTO Super Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 28,109 Times in 14,201 Posts

I just wanted to add....congrats on both the sobriety and the upcoming baby.
Also wanted to say that I hope you continue with AA even if you are released from probation.

Even if you are not let off probation, it would be alot easier if you can to your check ins primarily over the phone if they approve that and not release.

Again, congrats on the yr sober.

That's my dog's nose art

The Following User Says Thank You to sidewalker For This Useful Post:
xolady (03-06-2018)