Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR "OFFENDERS" > Probation, Parole & Supervision
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Probation, Parole & Supervision Having problems (or need info) with Probation, Parole or Community Corrections & Supervision?? Lets talk about it here.

Old 11-24-2017, 03:41 PM
attorney

Thanked 20,930 Times in 7,376 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMsT_ View Post
I wasnít arguing with you about the question at hand, Iím not being ignorant some things I do know and some things I donít. Thatís no reason to call me a jackass or say I need to fix my child. (Not you others on this post) For the record I did not tell my child the specifics of my fiancť being in prison as I said before you donít know what I know I asked a question and everyone seems to go around it trying to piece a story together from what little I said itís quite funny actually. Iím not going to argue all day with strangers, as I said thank you to those who answered.
So, you're going to let the Parole board and your loved one be the child's education on your loved one's sex offense.

This is even more stupid. You do realize that the Parole Board and your loved one won't preschool the proceedings just to accommodate your child's lack of understanding of what a sex offense is or what your LO actually did (and yes, he will have to say in detail what he did and take responsibility for it, unless it's one of those automatic 'no' parole hearings that lasts 5 minutes and then he's directed to reapply in a few years). It will be emotionally charged. If he's in for a hands free crime like CP, expect letters written by victims of CP to be read into the record. In other words, your kid will walk away from the hearing at a minimum confused, and at a maximum, traumatized and afraid of the LO you're there to support. With the wrong people involved in the parole hearing, child protective services will be there, waiting for you when the hearing is done.

Ignorance is not a sin. Ignorance is easily solvable with knowledge and understanding. We are all ignorant of some things. The truly smart person is the one who knows just what s/he is ignorant about and chooses those topics to master from the wealth of topics s/he will remain ignorant for the rest of life. Personally, I'm not going to be studying rocket science before I die. I won't weave, or learn to fly 747's. My knowledge of macroeconomics will remain at an undergraduate, survey course level. But then, I'm not trying to park a 747 in my backyard or trying to prove that the world is flat from a hyperbolic orbit into high atmosphere (I'm assuming the asshat in CA is not trying to clear earth's atmosphere and gravitation without some governmental authority stepping in and committing his crazy ass to a psych ward because he's endangering himself).

You need to figure out that sex offenders are different. Parole hearings actually go into the details of the crime and expect the inmate to take responsibility for the conduct in detail. They need to show that they are good candidates for parole in that they have their offending under control and are not likely to be a danger to society and are able to adhere to the requirements of parole.

In other words, if you take your child to the hearing, you are not only painting a very bad picture for parole, you are exposing your child to talk about your LO's offense with no real foundation for that offense.

Leave the kid at home. Be prepared for sex offender parole requirements should he make parole (his first time? Rare to happen with sex offenders the first time - they like to be extra sure that the sex offender won't reoffend and then the parole board take the heat for letting such a dangerous person loose on the public).

Parole is hard. Sex offender parole is especially hard.

You might also want to take a look at your city ordinances to see if there is a residency requirement there as well. Condo and gated community charters may have additional restrictions when it comes to sex offenders.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to yourself For This Useful Post:
Fridyrr.Likn (12-22-2017), maytayah (01-06-2018), NeedA_Name (11-29-2017), nimuay (11-25-2017), patchouli (11-24-2017), Scott (11-26-2017), sidewalker (11-25-2017), WA CCO (12-02-2017), xolady (01-07-2018)
Sponsored Links
Old 11-25-2017, 07:49 AM
CA, LASO, site sug. SUPER MOD

PTO Super Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 27,261 Times in 13,849 Posts

Please read in the laso forums for info.
http://prisontalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=101

We are actually trying to help.
I do hope you have reconsidered taking your 5 yo to this hearing.
What by the way what does your loved one want? Do you know if he wants the child there?
I know if it were me, I would not want a child there.
Plus the child will likely be bored. Having to sit still, be quiet.
Please rethink this idea, and come read up in the laso forums. Scroll way down the page to see the whole forum.

That's my dog's nose art

Old 11-25-2017, 07:55 AM

I have a question...
Was this man living in your home when his offense happened ?
How long before his incarceration did you live/know him or did you meet him while inside?
Does your child have a father in the picture?
Old 12-01-2017, 11:29 PM

Ok, I can't not comment... why has no one even brought up the potential (almost guaranteed) that even seeking permission to bring the non-biological child to hearing will guarantee CPS invovlement. I also didn't hear that the biological child was seeking to attend. But my point is that many states, Nevada included, are referring custodial parents to DCF for allowing children to be in the company of or care of an SO. It would guarantee an open investigation by CPS into a child or family in need of services and certainly meets the definition of neglect in Nevada. http://dcfs.nv.gov/Programs/CWS/CPS/CPS/

Aside from the parole hearing, any judge presented with these facts in a CPS petition is going to grant the State's dependency finding request.

Here's a case and commentary that sums it up. https://www.gregoryforman.com/blog/2...der-boyfriend/

That is all.

I'm not even addressing the original poster.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AR PCS For This Useful Post:
Fridyrr.Likn (12-22-2017), patchouli (12-02-2017), xolady (01-07-2018)
Old 12-02-2017, 12:42 AM
Off-Paper Since 2009
Donation Award 

Thanked 2,671 Times in 1,048 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR PCS View Post
Here's a case and commentary that sums it up. https://www.gregoryforman.com/blog/2...der-boyfriend/
That's an interesting case, because it sounds like in that situation, the sex offender boyfriend had been living with the mother's daughter for 9 full years and nothing ever happened. He never offended against the child. In fact, he got along quite well with the daughter and the daughter was well aware of his sex offender status.

I'm inclined to agree with the dissenting judge in that case.

If anything, that case just shows how ridiculous the overreaction is when it comes to sex offenders being around unrelated children, when they are more often than not, not a threat at all.

Of course, in this instant case, the SO in question has no track-record of being unsupervised with kids, so understandably there could still be much apprehension.

One question I might pose to the OP: what age and gender was the child that the fiance victimized? If her son is not in his preferred "victim range", maybe all this fuss is much ado about nothing.

Although I would agree with the general consensus that parole hearings are no place for children, regardless of what the offender's crime is.

Last edited by Nickel Timer; 12-02-2017 at 12:45 AM..
Old 12-02-2017, 12:51 AM

You are correct, just imagine the custody hearing with these facts. If you get blasted after 9 years of successful reentry, immediate release to parole is not looking good.

I agree victim preference is an issue, but also location of offense. Was the victim in the same household? If it was an hands off offense, what was the victim profile?

But ultimately I don't think those questions will ever see the light of day solely because of the optics. Perception is reality to most folks.

The biological child that was briefly mentioned in one thread also has to play some role in this.

As to my original comment about CPS involvement, parole may not even be an issue if he has been listed on the state's child maltreatment registry, which quite a few states do automatically with a hands on sex offense conviction involving a child victim.

Last edited by AR PCS; 12-02-2017 at 12:56 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to AR PCS For This Useful Post:
Nickel Timer (12-02-2017)
Old 01-06-2018, 02:14 PM
Account Closed

Do you really want your child around a sex offender!!??
Old 01-06-2018, 02:51 PM
PTO Administrator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 31,377 Times in 14,493 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredslady5 View Post
Do you really want your child around a sex offender!!??
We're not even gonna go there. If you require some assistance understanding sex offenders & those who love them, as well as those who live with a sex offender and (gasp!) have children in the home, please read through some threads in the Loving a Sex Offender (LASO) forum (sidewalker has a link to LASO in her post in this thread). FYI: SO's do have the next to lowest recidivism rate of all classes of offenders.

We were posting about sex offenders and children attending their parole hearing

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to patchouli For This Useful Post:
AR PCS (01-27-2018), fbopnomore (01-06-2018), LifeTraveler (01-07-2018), nimuay (01-07-2018), Sarianna (01-07-2018), sidewalker (01-07-2018)