Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > RESOURCE CENTER > Prison & Jail Wedding Information Central
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Prison & Jail Wedding Information Central Everything about getting married in prison or jail. Notices, pictures, questions, stories, what to expect.

Old 01-08-2011, 09:24 AM
Loving wife of K

Quote:
Originally Posted by kandikisses View Post
I'm looking for info on how to get married at newton? That's where my future hubby is... But he might get transferred to clarinda which I'm sure has different processes...(Eye roll)... If anyone has info for either or both I would appreciate it. I'm feeling restless... So anxious its ridiculous...
Hi! You will need to have your guy ask for a marriage packet, that is probably consistent wherever he's at, however, it probably won't be the same packet or they won't transfer it. Yeah IDOC is a pain! You can start the process now, have him get the packet he will need to complete part and you will need to complete part, they get sent to the warden for review and approval. It took us about 4 months to get approved, but they hadn't had a wedding there since the current warden took over, so they weren't sure what to do. Yeah, go figure, IDOC. LoL!

Mean while you can start the marriage license application process. Go to your present county recorders office and fill out your portion and have them notarize it. You can send it to your guy who can fill it out and have it notarized where he's at. My guy sent it back to me, I now live in another state, then I had to send it to our witness for them to complete and get it notarized. You send it or take it back, once it's completed with $35 cash or money order (unless they've changed it since last year). Once you get the marriage license packet it NEVER expires!! You can then just wait for the IDOC to make up their minds.

It did cost us $38 payable to NCF for the marriage, take a money order. It's for the guards time before the VR opened.

Plus, at NCF at least, you will have to provide your own minister or JP. Unless they've figured out of the Caplin can marry. They hadn't figured that out yet when we were married. Doh... IDOC! LoL!
Old 01-08-2011, 09:50 AM
Poppa's Wife

Thank you so much! I'm a very organized person and dealing with this has my nerves on edge. But at least with tha info u just gave me, I can make a list of things that need to be done and get as much out of tha way now as possible. Tha worst thing that could happen is for something to not get done in time. I really want tha date 11/11/11 and I wuld b really upset if we missed it because of sum detail that tha IDOC failed to mention. Now I can breathe a little easier. Was it someone local that married u?
Old 01-09-2011, 07:12 PM
Loving wife of K

No, he wasn't local to Newton. He came from the Des Moines area. I'd ask his counselor if the Chaplin can do it, maybe they've figured it out by now. It's only been a month, but who knows by November. Best wishes!
Old 01-17-2011, 12:19 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by miracle852 View Post
Hi everyone in Iowa,
My daughter was just transfered to Mitcheville this week!! What can you tell me about the process of getting married and who to talk to and what they both need to do. Like I said before they have all their paper work in order out here. He has Lou gehrig's disease, so the sooner the better. Thanks for all your support! patty
Hi Patty - I don't know much about the process of getting married in Iowa, but just want to say my thoughts are with you and your daughter and future (or already!) son-in-law
Old 01-20-2011, 07:37 AM

hi im looking for info on marrying my girlfriend in Mount Pleasant Iowa: rules for rings, need counseling(?), fees, the process and papers needed, etc. all the info you can give. Thank you so much.
Old 02-25-2011, 02:54 PM
SexOffendersWife

Write the superintendant of the prison requesting permission and have him request a marriage packet from his case manager.
Old 03-08-2013, 10:20 AM
Sweet Thing

This post has been very helpful thanks to all who have posted.

“We loved with a love that was more than love.” ~ Edgar Allan Poe
Old 02-06-2016, 03:31 PM
Poppa's Wife

Default Updated info for Iowa Prison Weddings

It's been a long, hard 6 years but I think we've finally managed to get it right this time. Does anyone have any updated information on the marriage process in Iowa prisons? Specifically Newton Correctional Facility, Fort Dodge Correctional Facility, or Rockwell? I know for Newton he has to request the marriage packet, but he might be transferred in the Spring and we just want to have our bases covered with what to expect if he is transferred.