Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > CALIFORNIA > California Prison & Criminal Justice News & Events + 3 Strikes
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

California Prison & Criminal Justice News & Events + 3 Strikes Do you have news relating to California's Prison or Ciminal Justice System and related efforts? Post them here! Also discuss 3 Strike laws.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-29-2007, 01:54 PM
Donation Award 

Default CA prison woes worry Nevada DAs

This article is full of dumb points (e.g. the quote that inmates released from California prisons have two options--"Stay in California or come here." Really? Those are their only two options?!?!?!? Dumb), but I thought I'd share it anyway!

California prison woes worry Nevada D.A.s
STEVE TIMKO
RENO GAZETTE-JOURNAL
Posted: 7/23/2007

Federal judges are creating a special panel that could force the state of California to release inmates from its overcrowded prisons.

Nevada law enforcement fears that if too many inmates spill out of California’s prisons, some of them could make their way to the Silver State and commit crimes here.

“They’ve got two options: Stay in California or come here,” Washoe County Assistant District Attorney John Helzer said. “I would say if there’s a substantial release of prisoners in California, we would see some of those people. I would rather not.”

Helzer hopes if they are released, they are kept on parole so there would be at least some supervision. People on parole need permission to travel, for instance. People intent on committing crimes are not going to follow the rules, Helzer conceded.

Clark County District Attorney David Roger doesn’t think parole would make much of a difference.

“Parole officers can only do some much to make sure their clients do not reoffend,” Roger said. “I think the risk is just as great, even though individuals may be under the supervision.”

Entire article: http://news.rgj.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar...o=news.rgj.com
Sponsored Links