Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FLORIDA > Florida General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Florida General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in Florida that do not fit into any other Florida subforum category. Please feel free to also introduce yourself to other members in the state and talk about whatever topics come to mind that may not have anything to do with prison.

Old 08-16-2018, 10:53 AM
Donation Award 

Default Whats up with Florida prison systems

1. new website cant see all inmates at each prison or current population only what it will hold

2. no packages at all ! in being trasfered family member lost all winter clothes and shoes due to broken locks

3. cant get books that i pay for in a timely frame ,

what are they trying to do ?
any answers
Sponsored Links
Old 08-16-2018, 11:00 AM
Heathen Moderator

PTO Moderator 

Thanked 3,977 Times in 1,742 Posts

1. I'm amazed that at some point the Florida prison system LISTED every inmate at every prison. That's not the norm, anywhere, so maybe they have updated their system.

2. Many states don't allow packages. They can likely purchase those items from commissary. Losing items during move is common everywhere.

3. The inmate isn't getting the books that your are ordering in a timely matter? Your opinion of "timely" and the prison's are going to be way different. It often takes several weeks for books to be received.

What are they trying to do? Probably the same thing as everywhere else. Keep staff and inmates safe, reduce contraband, keep on top of gang activity....prison stuff.
51littlemama (08-16-2018), Anjewel (08-22-2018), Ms Sunny (08-16-2018)
Old 08-16-2018, 12:11 PM
Donation Award 

I order books to be overnighted and recieved by USPS and I pay extra
mainly do this as to keep inmate busy instead of sitting around doing nothing 80 percent of the time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fridyrr.Likn View Post
1. I'm amazed that at some point the Florida prison system LISTED every inmate at every prison. That's not the norm, anywhere, so maybe they have updated their system.

2. Many states don't allow packages. They can likely purchase those items from commissary. Losing items during move is common everywhere.

3. The inmate isn't getting the books that your are ordering in a timely matter? Your opinion of "timely" and the prison's are going to be way different. It often takes several weeks for books to be received.

What are they trying to do? Probably the same thing as everywhere else. Keep staff and inmates safe, reduce contraband, keep on top of gang activity....prison stuff.
The Following User Says Thank You to 51littlemama For This Useful Post:
xolady (08-17-2018)
Old 08-16-2018, 12:18 PM
Heathen Moderator

PTO Moderator 

Thanked 3,977 Times in 1,742 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51littlemama View Post
I order books to be overnighted and recieved by USPS and I pay extra
mainly do this as to keep inmate busy instead of sitting around doing nothing 80 percent of the time
That won't get them to the inmate any faster. It's just a waste of money just like sending priority mail with hopes of the inmate getting it faster, just doesn't happen. Sending books on a regular basis with regular shipping would probably more effective. You can also try sending puzzles printed from online to keep him busy. There's likely a library he can borrow books from as well. Are there no classes or programs the inmate can take? I know jobs are hard to come by.
51littlemama (08-17-2018), Sarianna (08-16-2018)
Old 08-16-2018, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51littlemama View Post
1. new website cant see all inmates at each prison or current population only what it will hold

2. no packages at all ! in being trasfered family member lost all winter clothes and shoes due to broken locks

3. cant get books that i pay for in a timely frame ,

what are they trying to do ?
any answers
1. It sucks and is too slow and confusing to use.
2. Up until now, families could order twice a year....all of a sudden, we can no longer order? Just makes me angry.
3. Per the mail room at Suwannee CI/Work Camp/Annex (one mail room for all three), once the books are added to the log in the mail room, they have 15 days to get them to the inmate. The last two times I have sent books I have had to call. This last time (he was in CI for 3 weeks), I had to call twice and was, of course, given conflicting information. Thankfully, I keep notes and he got his books the next day.

They are trying to get even more money out of the families to lower Florida's overall debt. Rick Scott had a press release that said that he had lowered the debt by $10million...the most ever. Damn crook (yes, his company was charged and fined for 14 felonies, but somehow he still managed to become governor...??)

Sorry, just a bit salty about it all tonight.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sunnielg For This Useful Post:
51littlemama (08-17-2018), xolady (08-17-2018)
Old 08-17-2018, 06:15 AM

Thanked 5,863 Times in 3,056 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnielg View Post
1. It sucks and is too slow and confusing to use.
2. Up until now, families could order twice a year....all of a sudden, we can no longer order? Just makes me angry.
3. Per the mail room at Suwannee CI/Work Camp/Annex (one mail room for all three), once the books are added to the log in the mail room, they have 15 days to get them to the inmate. The last two times I have sent books I have had to call. This last time (he was in CI for 3 weeks), I had to call twice and was, of course, given conflicting information. Thankfully, I keep notes and he got his books the next day.

They are trying to get even more money out of the families to lower Florida's overall debt. Rick Scott had a press release that said that he had lowered the debt by $10million...the most ever. Damn crook (yes, his company was charged and fined for 14 felonies, but somehow he still managed to become governor...??)

Sorry, just a bit salty about it all tonight.
Not salty at all he's a piece of shit!!! Who should have been put behind bars a million times for all his illegal bull crap, starting with stealing from medicare!!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xolady For This Useful Post:
51littlemama (09-01-2018), Sunnielg (08-21-2018)