Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR FAMILY & FRIENDS > Raising Children with Parents in Prison
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Raising Children with Parents in Prison For the Parent left behind with children AND for the Children that have a parent inside. Discussion of unique challenges facing this group!

Old 11-16-2017, 05:33 PM

Angry Father making money in prison

My daughter's father is making money in prison and tells me to hold it for him for when he need it, but he will not contribute to his daughter well being. Anything that I use of the money I must put it back. Which I don't agree with and he seem to think it is ok....i need help ...any advice will help... should i just closed the door for good or what
Sponsored Links
Old 11-16-2017, 06:15 PM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 19,001 Times in 6,842 Posts

Why would you agree to do that?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
Fridyrr.Likn (11-17-2017), nimuay (11-16-2017)
Old 11-16-2017, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamac View Post
Why would you agree to do that?
He send the money thru western union and I just hold it for him. The thing is he won't contribute to well being of his child. Anything I take from the money he wants me to put it back
Old 11-16-2017, 06:34 PM

If he is makin the money illegally I would tell him to send his money somewhere else. If it is being made legally why does he assume you will help when he is being an ass and a dead beat dad??? If he won't even help his own child why do you want to help him? That makes no sense, he is not going to help your child why do you help him? You and your baby deserve better than that. There are good men out there go find one and let him have his money.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Kimimi For This Useful Post:
Dakini (11-19-2017), Fridyrr.Likn (11-17-2017), miamac (11-16-2017), Ms Sunny (11-17-2017), nimuay (11-16-2017), xolady (11-17-2017)
Old 11-16-2017, 07:13 PM

Thanked 2,565 Times in 1,209 Posts

I would file with the courts for child support. Also, make sure the money is being obtained legally or this could bite you.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to onedayatatime13 For This Useful Post:
Minor activist (11-17-2017), xolady (11-17-2017)
Old 11-16-2017, 07:19 PM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nivea0508 View Post
He send the money thru western union and I just hold it for him. The thing is he won't contribute to well being of his child. Anything I take from the money he wants me to put it back
Anything you take from him is considered illegal gains. As in you-could-be-charged-and-prosecuted over. So again, why would you agree to do that?
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
Fridyrr.Likn (11-17-2017), MizzyMuffling (11-17-2017), nimuay (11-16-2017), Nitewolf047 (11-16-2017), safran (11-16-2017), xolady (11-17-2017)
Old 11-16-2017, 09:32 PM

You are putting yourself in legal trouble as miamac said. You have no idea where the money is coming from but that won't matter, if he is busted you will be considered an accomplice. I'd take that money, give it to his family or put it on his books. Then definitely put him on child support. I can imagine they could garnish his books.
The Following User Says Thank You to InLuvWithALifer For This Useful Post:
Fridyrr.Likn (11-17-2017)
Old 11-17-2017, 01:11 AM

The problem with giving the money to his family or adding it to his books is that this still involves knowing about the money and touching it. It contributes to the creation of a paper trail (not that it wouldn't otherwise exist, since it was paid by Western Union). If his relatives are involved, they become new witnesses that perhaps wouldn't have been part of the picture.

Technically, some crimes may already have been committed just by knowingly receiving and keeping the money and perhaps depositing or spending some. It's not as if the money has recently appeared into a bank account of an individual who has no idea yet. It may be too late to be someone who cannot be accused of anything whatsoever or who never touched any money, but in the OP's situation, the last thing I would want to do is involve more people, if they were not already involved.
Old 11-17-2017, 05:38 AM

Turn him in....he's continuing his criminal lifestyle in jail. You have proof. He's not paying you anyway. And his putting the I'll gotten money in your hands morally outrages me for 2_reasons:
1. He be!ieves his control over you is so strong, you will let your child "go without", while protecting his money. Disgusting human.
2. He is creating situation where potentially YOU found find yourself in legal trouble, and lose custody of your child.

You need to act now, before he gets caught and rats you out.
You child's safety and needs are priority, not some useless, ugly hearted, controlling man who is probably laughing because he manipulates E ERYTHING..
(sorry angry, the children hurting upsets me)
Old 11-17-2017, 05:42 AM

Thanked 2,905 Times in 1,784 Posts

I eouldnt turn him in but I wouldn't take any more money. He's not making money he's gambling or selling drugs and both are illegal. Stop taking the money.
Old 11-17-2017, 06:30 AM

He might be in work release or something, my husband was and every month they would western union $250. And he would get a weekly cash allowance of $30 so u never know it might be legally.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sarancam416 For This Useful Post:
xolady (11-17-2017)
Old 11-17-2017, 06:50 AM

Prisons have work release??? Here jail has work release I never knew prisons release you to work. Seems odd but ok. Maybe other states are different.
Old 11-17-2017, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nygirl17 View Post
Prisons have work release??? Here jail has work release I never knew prisons release you to work. Seems odd but ok. Maybe other states are different.
Well she said prison but some people dont differentiate the two, so we will never know unless she says.
Old 11-17-2017, 06:59 AM

Thanked 5,846 Times in 3,051 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarancam416 View Post
Well she said prison but some people dont differentiate the two, so we will never know unless she says.
In florida they have work release from prison's and jails.
The Following User Says Thank You to xolady For This Useful Post:
Sarancam416 (11-17-2017)
Old 11-17-2017, 07:03 AM

Wow that's crazy. Well then I guess she should ask him where the money is coming from. If some random person is sending it she should stop accepting it. If it's coming from work release then I dont see a problem with it except for the fact he's being a dead beat father and not providing for his child when there is money coming in.

Last edited by nygirl17; 11-17-2017 at 07:52 AM..
Old 11-17-2017, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nygirl17 View Post
Wow that's crazy. Well then I guess she should ask him where the money is coming from. If some random person is sending it she should stop accepting it. It's it's coming from work release then I dont see a problem with it except for the fact he's being a dead beat father and not providing for his child when there is money coming in.
Yea, well i would spend it and say to hell with him if its legal. My husband would know better than to even send me some money and say u have to replace it. Then dont send it to me. That just goes to show that most men are stupid. Id say ok and spend it anyway. Lol
The Following User Says Thank You to Sarancam416 For This Useful Post:
Ms Sunny (11-17-2017)
Old 11-17-2017, 09:06 AM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarancam416 View Post
He might be in work release or something, my husband was and every month they would western union $250. And he would get a weekly cash allowance of $30 so u never know it might be legally.
If it is from legal work, I would think she would be able to pursue child support, no? And if it's through legal work, then he can hold his own money and send her only what is for the child.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
Fridyrr.Likn (11-17-2017), Ms Sunny (11-17-2017)
Old 11-17-2017, 09:11 AM

Thanked 5,846 Times in 3,051 Posts

Most likely it's illegally gotten and she can't get any support because of his illegal activities!! But that said she is now party to his illegal funds, so either she stops her contact with him or she might be in a bad situation over this.
Old 11-17-2017, 09:14 AM

Thanked 2,753 Times in 957 Posts

It’s all speculation whether he is getting the money legally or illegally. It would be a cold day before the father of my child, who I need money to raise, would tell me what to do with money he sent me. However if it was obtained illegally who knows what he’d do if she spent it. I would just not accept any more money and tell him to find someone else to send it to.

“Absorb what is useful, Discard what is not, Add what is uniquely your own”
The Following User Says Thank You to AndyS For This Useful Post:
xolady (11-17-2017)
Old 11-17-2017, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xolady View Post
Most likely it's illegally gotten and she can't get any support because of his illegal activities!! But that said she is now party to his illegal funds, so either she stops her contact with him or she might be in a bad situation over this.
How is she any more a party to it than someone sending money legitimately? How is she to know whether it’s legal or illegal money? Money sent from Western Union doesn’t state “this is legally made money”. So anyone who accepts money from an inmate is at risk of being party to it? Unless they can prove through calls or letters that she did know I think that would be hard to prove.

Old 11-17-2017, 09:32 AM
Heathen Moderator

PTO Moderator 

Thanked 3,977 Times in 1,742 Posts

If it's being sent Western Union, and not from a prison cut check out of the inmate's account...it's illegal. The prison isn't allowing inmates to send money via Western Union! Furthermore...she should know WHO the money is coming from. Since it's obviously NOT coming directly from the inmate I have to assume it's coming from the family of someone he's dealing with on the inside. Been there...done that..seen numerous mom's and grandma's lives threatened over not being able to produce this money on demand after having it sent by Western Union. Or...them being told to send it to the next person in line and if it's not done their loved one is in risk. Not a game I would play at all.

http://www.doc.state.nc.us/dop/polic...nual/b0500.pdf
Quote:
Pay Grade. There are three daily rates of pay for all incentive wage assignments unless the Secretary determines that the work assignment requires special skills or training. Upon approval of the Secretary, inmates working in job assignments requiring special skills or training may be paid up to $3.00 per day. The three rates are: $.40, $.70, and $1.00. All jobs within Prisons are classified by the Chief of Program Services at a pay grade consistent with skills required to perform job assignments. All inmates assigned to the Department of Transportation inmate labor contract and to the Community Work Program are compensated at a fixed rate of $.70 per day.
https://www.ncleg.net/EnactedLegisla...hapter_148.pdf
Quote:
§ 148-18. Wages, allowances and loans.
(a) Prisoners employed by Correction Enterprises shall be compensated as set forth in Article 14 of this Chapter. Prisoners participating in work assignments established by the Section of Prisons of the Division of Adult Correction shall be compensated at rates fixed by the Division of Adult Correction of the Department of Public Safety's rules and regulations; provided, that no prisoner so paid shall receive more than one dollar ($1.00) per day, unless the Secretary determines that the work assignment requires special skills or training. Upon approval of the Secretary, inmates working in job assignments requiring special skills or training may be paid up to three dollars ($3.00) per day. The Correction Enterprises Fund shall be the source of wages and allowances provided to inmates who are employed by the Division of Adult Correction of the Department of Public Safety in work assignments established by the Section of Prisons of the Division of Adult Correction.
Are you still trying to find someone to officiate a marriage to this man?

Last edited by Fridyrr.Likn; 11-17-2017 at 09:40 AM..
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Fridyrr.Likn For This Useful Post:
MizzyMuffling (11-17-2017), Ms Sunny (11-17-2017), nimuay (11-19-2017), safran (11-17-2017)
Old 11-17-2017, 09:46 AM

That’s for clarifying. Makes sense now.

The Following User Says Thank You to AndyS For This Useful Post:
xolady (11-17-2017)
Old 11-17-2017, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Sunny View Post
Turn him in....he's continuing his criminal lifestyle in jail. You have proof. He's not paying you anyway. And his putting the I'll gotten money in your hands morally outrages me for 2_reasons:
1. He be!ieves his control over you is so strong, you will let your child "go without", while protecting his money. Disgusting human.
2. He is creating situation where potentially YOU found find yourself in legal trouble, and lose custody of your child.

You need to act now, before he gets caught and rats you out.
You child's safety and needs are priority, not some useless, ugly hearted, controlling man who is probably laughing because he manipulates E ERYTHING..
(sorry angry, the children hurting upsets me)
I will definitely turned him... thank you
Old 11-17-2017, 04:03 PM

FYI this is how it works...family sends her western Union for a multitude of reasons, no e of which is legal, and monies going into his commissary account can be end encumbered for fees, surcharges, restitution .
Also, large amounts going to one person from families is easy to spot. Red flags.?
So you have your family Send western union to this guy's wife. Whether its drugs, legal he!p, protection, makes no difference. If he was sending money home it would be facility chscky.
She, as the person receiving, can easily be discovered by investigation, conspiring to extort. All it takes is one snitch note, and it sounds like he's doing well, so someone will definitely want to piss all over that.
You can bet they can watch mail going out, monitor calls, and put it together. She probably doesn't have PO box.
Bottom line, she is involved in a conspiracy which is probably involved in his hiding money IN CASE SHE GOES AFTER HIM FOR CHILD SUPPORT.
Once again, apologies for anger, I fell like the Lorax, I speak for the children.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ms Sunny For This Useful Post:
Fridyrr.Likn (11-17-2017), MrsDeeKay (11-17-2017)
Old 11-19-2017, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nivea0508 View Post
My daughter's father is making money in prison and tells me to hold it for him for when he need it, but he will not contribute to his daughter well being. Anything that I use of the money I must put it back. Which I don't agree with and he seem to think it is ok....i need help ...any advice will help... should i just closed the door for good or what
Yes I would close the door for good with him don't accept no more money from him. Even if it legal or not he's being a ASS telling you don't spend it when you have his child and he's not there to help support her. That is so inconsiderate of him.I wouldn't accept no more money.