Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > RESOURCE CENTER > World Prison News
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

World Prison News Post info (IF it doesn't belong in another PTO forum) about the prison system, prisoner support, criminal justice, etc., that you learn firsthand, through the media, from an inmate, or any other source. News can be local, state, Federal, or int'l.

Old 02-05-2018, 07:25 PM
Carolina traveler

Thanked 3,599 Times in 2,470 Posts
Default Georgia police suspend program allowing landlords

GEORGIA POLICE SUSPEND PROGRAM ALLOWING LANDLORDS TO REFUSE TENANTS WITH CRIMINAL RECORDS

"Authorities in Savannah suspended a program this week that gave landlords the power to turn away tenants with criminal records.

For 18 years, the Savannah-Chatham Metropolitan Police Departmentís Crime Free Housing Program allowed landlords in at least 20 apartment complexes in the city to refuse tenants with criminal backgrounds, according to the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU). The city announced that it would temporarily suspend the program following a letter sent by the ACLU, ACLU of Georgia, Georgia Legal Services Program, and Savannah-Chatham County Fair Housing Council to the police department.

Officials sent the letter arguing that the Crime Free Housing Program targeting those with criminal records was discriminatory. The advocates argued that keeping people with criminal records from housing could lead to an increase in homelessness, recidivism and lead to more crime."

http://www.newsweek.com/police-suspe...records-798784
fbopnomore (02-06-2018), Fridyrr.Likn (02-06-2018), patchouli (02-13-2018)
Sponsored Links
Old 02-05-2018, 08:02 PM
Always Remembered

PTO Super Moderator Pumpkin Hunt Participant 2014 Easter Egg Hunt 2013 - Participant 

Donation Award 

Thanked 30,839 Times in 11,078 Posts

Sometimes all you can say is "Doh!!"
choclgs (02-08-2018), Fridyrr.Likn (02-06-2018)
Old 02-06-2018, 07:09 AM

Thanked 11,101 Times in 6,007 Posts

In the 'unintended consequence' category, expect to see a rash of increases in both monthly rent and deposit requirements...

But then again, the ACLU is rarely known for looking beyond its next headline.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CenTexLyn For This Useful Post:
choclgs (02-08-2018), Fridyrr.Likn (02-06-2018), maytayah (02-13-2018), xolady (02-06-2018)
Old 02-06-2018, 08:23 AM

Thanked 5,993 Times in 3,116 Posts

I can't see how this is wrong actually. If I own a apartment complex I feel like its the owners decision on what's required or what ever if they choose to rent to me. I can't buy a into a Condo if I am not prescreened and approved by a condo board. I've been denied auto insurance because of my husbands criminal back ground, why can't they deny renting to someone they feel is undesirable. Somehow I am sure that this is going to fail when tested. What happens to free enterprise??? I am not saying that I judging a felon and that they shouldn't be able find housing but I do feel like this is wrong to force an apartment owner to allow anyone to rent. Why the ACLU except for what Centex said is involved for is beyond me. I also find it really offensive that they are using this to claim racism.

Last edited by xolady; 02-06-2018 at 08:27 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to xolady For This Useful Post:
choclgs (02-08-2018)
Old 02-06-2018, 08:50 AM

Thanked 2,771 Times in 958 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xolady View Post
I can't see how this is wrong actually. If I own a apartment complex I feel like its the owners decision on what's required or what ever if they choose to rent to me. I can't buy a into a Condo if I am not prescreened and approved by a condo board. I've been denied auto insurance because of my husbands criminal back ground, why can't they deny renting to someone they feel is undesirable. Somehow I am sure that this is going to fail when tested. What happens to free enterprise??? I am not saying that I judging a felon and that they shouldn't be able find housing but I do feel like this is wrong to force an apartment owner to allow anyone to rent. Why the ACLU except for what Centex said is involved for is beyond me. I also find it really offensive that they are using this to claim racism.
Because itís called discrimination.

ďAbsorb what is useful, Discard what is not, Add what is uniquely your ownĒ
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AndyS For This Useful Post:
choclgs (02-08-2018), patchouli (02-13-2018)
Old 02-06-2018, 10:01 AM

Thanked 3,886 Times in 1,197 Posts

Interesting. I have some rental properties and I absolutely want the right to choose my tenants, in part, based on their background. I’m not into turning people down automatically... I’ve been renting to an RSO for a few years now and he’s a delightful tenant... but I should have the right to turn down a drug dealer or violent offender if I don’t want to live next door to that kind of behavior.

I’m curious how this would work. As far as I know, there’s no law that says I have to accept the first person who applies. I’d just claim the denial was for a different reason and pick the more desirable tenant.
Old 02-06-2018, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyS View Post
ďFelonĒ isnít a protected class.
Old 02-06-2018, 10:13 AM
Off-Paper Since 2009
Donation Award 

Thanked 3,109 Times in 1,200 Posts

To be clear here, this change in policy doesn't FORCE landlords to accept any tenant they don't want. It just ends the requirement that landlords MUST background check all applicants and auto-deny every applicant with a criminal record, from what I understand.

Landlords can now selectively decide if they want to allow certain folks with records, and felons won't be automatically turned down like they were before.

Sounds like a win-win for everyone.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Nickel Timer For This Useful Post:
AndyS (02-13-2018), choclgs (02-08-2018), Fridyrr.Likn (02-06-2018), GaReform (02-06-2018), Lordbew/us (02-07-2018), Minor activist (02-06-2018), nimuay (02-06-2018), patchouli (02-13-2018)
Old 02-06-2018, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickel Timer View Post
To be clear here, this change in policy doesn't FORCE landlords to accept any tenant they don't want. It just ends the requirement that landlords MUST background check all applicants and auto-deny every applicant with a criminal record, from what I understand.

Landlords can now selectively decide if they want to allow certain folks with records, and felons won't be automatically turned down like they were before.

That makes a lot more sense.
Old 02-06-2018, 10:17 AM

Thanked 1,976 Times in 777 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marseille View Post
ďFelonĒ isnít a protected class.
Andy is right. Since there's no protected class for felons there can be legal discrimination in employment, housing & just about everything else. I think underneath all the sugar coating that's used about it, the real truth lies in the continued need to punish offenders for their actions. I mean even the term "offender" states it. The person has offended society & so is undeserving of benefits enjoyed by others.

Until we come to realize that people will be returning from serving their punishment whether we like it or not & we have to deal with it, there is eventually going to be a huge problem. It's already building & if nothing is done to help reentry, we will be facing a crisis that makes the refugee camps in other countries look like a holiday resort.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to GaReform For This Useful Post:
AndyS (02-13-2018), choclgs (02-08-2018), Lordbew/us (02-07-2018), patchouli (02-13-2018), Sarianna (02-18-2018), URSUNSHINE (06-06-2019)
Old 02-06-2018, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaReform View Post
Andy is right. Since there's no protected class for felons there can be legal discrimination in employment, housing & just about everything else. I think underneath all the sugar coating that's used about it, the real truth lies in the continued need to punish offenders for their actions. I mean even the term "offender" states it. The person has offended society & so is undeserving of benefits enjoyed by others.

Until we come to realize that people will be returning from serving their punishment whether we like it or not & we have to deal with it, there is eventually going to be a huge problem. It's already building & if nothing is done to help reentry, we will be facing a crisis that makes the refugee camps in other countries look like a holiday resort.

For me as a landlord, itís not about punishing the convicted criminal. Itís about protecting my assets and my income and yeah, Iím sorry, but my life, income, and assets are more important to me than your need for a place to live. I go on a case by case basis. I do a background check, but a felony isnít an automatic no. Insider trading, marijuana dealer, dated a little young while you were in college? Ok, whatever. Meth cook, rapist, spouse-batterer? Sorry, next. My houses are all on the same block and I live in one of them. Iím going to make decisions to protect my investments.
Old 02-06-2018, 06:27 PM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 22,851 Times in 13,143 Posts

Nothing in the proposed change in Georgia (even if it was in your State, South Dakota) has anything to do with who you choose to rent your houses to. Unless your selection criteria is illegal (sex, race, etc) you can exclude anyone you choose to exclude.

Saying that what this thread is about endangers your safety, assets, and/or income is just wrong, it doesn't.
Old 02-07-2018, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbopnomore View Post
Nothing in the proposed change in Georgia (even if it was in your State, South Dakota) has anything to do with who you choose to rent your houses to. Unless your selection criteria is illegal (sex, race, etc) you can exclude anyone you choose to exclude.

Saying that what this thread is about endangers your safety, assets, and/or income is just wrong, it doesn't.
I understand that. I was replying to a specific post in the thread.
Old 02-07-2018, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Being a convicted felon is not exactly the same as being gay, jewish, black, or whatever, people should be able to say who and who can't lives on their property. Sorry if you think differently but you actually lose certain rights when your a felon, and no one should have to deal with felons if they choose not to. It's actually saying the landlord has no rights as to whom he does business with. You shouldn't get "special protected status" for committing felonies. This isn't like saying I won't rent to a person in a wheel chair.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xolady For This Useful Post:
choclgs (02-08-2018), I'm done (02-12-2018)
Old 02-07-2018, 08:46 AM

Quote:

Either I keep reading this wrong or the article is wrong, because it say's they are suspending the program that allows landlord to bar felons. Since the ACLU sent a letter or something to this effect.
Old 02-07-2018, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaReform View Post

Your statement "The person has offended society & is undeserving of benefits enjoyed by other's" what are you talking about what benefits???? This is about whether a landlord has the right to bar felons or not, plain and simple. When I pay my rent check each month it's certainly no benefit!!!!
Old 02-12-2018, 07:28 PM
but I'm not finished, !!!

A landlord should have the right to rent to
whomever he/she wants. I dont.see what the problem
is. My son is a felon, i knew he would have a hard time.
So i kept my house for him. I wouldnt want to buy, eat or live with anyo e who doesnt want me.
xolady (02-12-2018)
Old 02-12-2018, 10:32 PM

Thanked 1,976 Times in 777 Posts

Quote:
Your statement "The person has offended society & is undeserving of benefits enjoyed by other's" what are you talking about what benefits???? This is about whether a landlord has the right to bar felons or not, plain and simple. When I pay my rent check each month it's certainly no benefit!!!!
You misunderstood my intentions & post. Someone with a conviction loses the benefit of being able to vote, live where they'd like, have the same chances as anyone to get a job & things like that. Regardless of whether they were guilty or not, served their time & changed their lives,the conviction makes them less of a person in the eyes of society.

Yes, a landlord should be able to rent to someone or not but where is someone with a felony to live if no one will rent to them? Should there be places like leper colonies where only felons can be? No, that won't work because many are prohibited from associating with other felons. Government doesn't want communities of felons because that will breed more crime. They realized that putting people together in "projects" didn't work for the poor & minorities.

Ideally, a landlord could work with probation/parole or advocacy groups to help screened applicants with housing. I wouldn't want to rent to someone who was a danger to others & my property whether they had a felony past or not.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to GaReform For This Useful Post:
AndyS (02-12-2018), choclgs (02-14-2018), Fridyrr.Likn (02-13-2018), patchouli (02-13-2018), Sarianna (02-18-2018)
Old 02-12-2018, 10:51 PM

Wouldn’t it make more sense to have felons able to find housing and work? Do we want them on the street having to go back to whatever got themselves in trouble in the first place? I’d even go as far as to say charge them an extra deposit but don’t automatically ban them from housing. Theyve served their time and have been released but all we are doing is letting society now continue to punish them instead of the prison. There has to be a better way instead of automatically disqualifying someone. I don’t want a dangerous person living next to me either but just because they don’t have a record doesn’t mean they are safe. I don’t know what the answer is but we need to do better.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to AndyS For This Useful Post:
choclgs (02-14-2018), Fridyrr.Likn (02-13-2018), GaReform (02-14-2018), Minor activist (02-18-2018), Nickel Timer (02-14-2018), patchouli (02-13-2018), Sarianna (02-18-2018)
Old 02-13-2018, 08:54 AM

I guess ideally it would be nice to live where ever you want, but it shouldn't be at say the landlords expense. Most landlords don't want the burden of renting to someone with any problems. I just got renters insurance one of the questions was about my dog being in a "bad dog class". She's a shepard/rotti mix she was no problem. But had I had a pit bull I couldn't get covered and I could not have rented here, that's all part of renting. Maybe I'm being obtuse but this seems more discriminatory than being discriminated against for being a felon. But when you can't buy you deal with this and even if you can buy you sometimes deal with this stuff if you have to have condo board approval/ homeowner board approval. The choice of living in a crime free zone is given to everyone. When you commit crimes you take chances of getting caught so you have a choice. The public is not responsible for individuals bad choices and shouldn't spend a life time trying to make up for the people who do. Is that fair??? Why should a person have to have no choice in who lives next to them??? It's not fair but life isn't. If I wanted to go to Harvard was it fair I couldn't go because my family could not afford it? No not really when others got scholarships based on a certain category, and I wasn't in a free ride category. But that's life it's not fair you don't always get what you deserve, you play the hand god gives you. You choose to commit crime and the penalties can and sometime do follow you for life. I get everyone here has some connection to the system but hello not everyone gives a damn about whether junior gets in a townhouse at the yacht club!!! That's life and I know it's not fair but that's just to bad you break the law you have to deal with the ripple effects for for life!!!

Last edited by xolady; 02-13-2018 at 08:56 AM..
Old 02-13-2018, 11:06 AM
Off-Paper Since 2009
Donation Award 

Thanked 3,109 Times in 1,200 Posts

I had to go through quite a few apartments (property management companies) to find my current place to live due to my "violent" felony.

Thankfully, there are still a few landlords (and PMC managers) who mainly look at your credit score when making a decision to rent, and not so much your distal criminal history.

Of course, a newly released prisoner likely won't have very good credit, but at least that is something you can change and improve over the course of a few years versus your criminal record which never goes away.

If more landlords made their decisions based off things like credit score and rental history, it would at least give more people a chance to find a place to live so they don't have to be homeless, on the streets or living in their cars.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Nickel Timer For This Useful Post:
choclgs (02-14-2018), fbopnomore (02-13-2018), GaReform (02-14-2018), Sarianna (02-18-2018), xolady (02-13-2018)
Old 02-13-2018, 11:14 AM

Quote:
I had to go through quite a few apartments (property management companies) to find my current place to live due to my "violent" felony.

Thankfully, there are still a few landlords (and PMC managers) who mainly look at your credit score when making a decision to rent, and not so much your distal criminal history.

Of course, a newly released prisoner likely won't have very good credit, but at least that is something you can change and improve over the course of a few years versus your criminal record which never goes away.

If more landlords made their decisions based off things like credit score and rental history, it would at least give more people a chance to find a place to live so they don't have to be homeless, on the streets or living in their cars.
But I don't believe a landlord should shoulder the liability of allowing felons if they don't want to.
Old 02-13-2018, 11:26 AM

Quote:
But I don't believe a landlord should shoulder the liability of allowing felons if they don't want to.
If all landlords donít want felons to live on their property where do you propose they live? There are over 6 million people in the US that are convicted felons. How would they prove they are responsible if all they look at is if you are a felon or not?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AndyS For This Useful Post:
choclgs (02-14-2018), GaReform (02-14-2018), Sarianna (02-18-2018)
Old 02-13-2018, 11:39 AM

Quote:
If all landlords donít want felons to live on their property where do you propose they live? There are over 6 million people in the US that are convicted felons. How would they prove they are responsible if all they look at is if you are a felon or not?
Really that's not my problem now is it? I don't have to worry about it. I can answer very honestly I have a FELONY DRUG ARREST, that will show if back grounded. I am not a convicted felon, but I do disclose this as I was asked on a rental application. I offered an explanation of charge and subsequently my landlord checked my back ground and approved me. This just gives landlords the right to do this. Not everyone would be approved as I was told if I had omitted this he would have denied my application automatically. Why the heck should a landlord shoulder the burden of felons????
Old 02-13-2018, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Your not born a convicted FELON that's a choice you make when you break the law.