Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > ARIZONA > Arizona Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail Discussions
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Arizona Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail Discussions Topics / Information relating to the Arizona Department of Corrections and local & county Jail visitation, phone calls, mail, inmate care packages, etc.

Old 06-16-2019, 06:07 PM

Default Visitation suspended: How long? Thought there would be a locker :(

Hi! So my 6 mos old daughter and I drove to Safford this morning to visit her dad for the first time. When we got there the CO told me that she’ll have to suspend me for the day because I had my phone with me. I told her I thought there’s a locker in there to put my belongings in just like what was stated on the policy. She said “no” and that I’d have to go back home. I asked her nicely if I could just run to the car real quick and put my phone in there because we drove almost 3 hrs away just to get turned around. Again she said no, she made me sign this paper stating that my visitation privileges are suspended. At first she said it’s gonna be suspended for the day but when I asked her when I could come back her answer was “i don’t know they’ll contact you”. Has this happened to anyone? If so, how long can they suspend me. Also, does this mean that my phone call privileges are also suspended? BTW, while I was in the parking lot crying I saw this woman walk in with her ziploc which has her phone in it. In my mind I thought she was gonna be told to turn around but then after a couple minutes I saw her go back to her car to put her phone away and went back in the facility. So unfair! Rules should be applied on everyone. Pls help! I’m losing my mind. My daughter and I haven’t seen her dad in 5 months.

Last edited by Ghidalgo9; 06-16-2019 at 06:10 PM..
Sponsored Links
Old 06-16-2019, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghidalgo9 View Post
Hi! So my 6 mos old daughter and I drove to Safford this morning to visit her dad for the first time. When we got there the CO told me that she’ll have to suspend me for the day because I had my phone with me. I told her I thought there’s a locker in there to put my belongings in just like what was stated on the policy. She said “no” and that I’d have to go back home. I asked her nicely if I could just run to the car real quick and put my phone in there because we drove almost 3 hrs away just to get turned around. Again she said no, she made me sign this paper stating that my visitation privileges are suspended. At first she said it’s gonna be suspended for the day but when I asked her when I could come back her answer was “i don’t know they’ll contact you”. Has this happened to anyone? If so, how long can they suspend me. Also, does this mean that my phone call privileges are also suspended? BTW, while I was in the parking lot crying I saw this woman walk in with her ziploc which has her phone in it. In my mind I thought she was gonna be told to turn around but then after a couple minutes I saw her go back to her car to put her phone away and went back in the facility. So unfair! Rules should be applied on everyone. Pls help! I’m losing my mind. My daughter and I haven’t seen her dad in 5 months.
I sent you a private message about a phone number to call.

Last edited by kari dunn; 06-16-2019 at 10:21 PM..
Old 06-17-2019, 09:15 AM
Embrace Your Wild ⭐️
Donation Award 

Thanked 4,696 Times in 2,050 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kari dunn View Post
I sent you a private message about a phone number to call.
While it's perfectly fine to use private messages for advice too.....please don't forget that there are probably a lot of people reading these boards and posting public information might help someone else in a similar situation

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sarianna For This Useful Post:
LifeTraveler (06-17-2019), maytayah (06-17-2019), miamac (06-17-2019), sidewalker (06-17-2019)
Old 06-17-2019, 09:36 AM
CA, LASO, site sug. SUPER MOD

PTO Super Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 30,706 Times in 15,334 Posts

Oh how heartbreaking!!!
And to put salt in the wound, to have someone else bring in a phone and be able to return it to the car?
Thats not right. (unless she was seen by another person and told something different than you were)
I would for sure try to figure out what went wrong.

Agree with Sarianna, post on the boards any recourse the OP might be able to take.
If they state they have lockers then there should have been no problem. Unless there was some other reason in ADDITION to what was being told to her.
wrong.

That's my dog's nose art

Old 06-17-2019, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewalker View Post
Oh how heartbreaking!!!
And to put salt in the wound, to have someone else bring in a phone and be able to return it to the car?
Thats not right. (unless she was seen by another person and told something different than you were)
I would for sure try to figure out what went wrong.

Agree with Sarianna, post on the boards any recourse the OP might be able to take.
If they state they have lockers then there should have been no problem. Unless there was some other reason in ADDITION to what was being told to her.
wrong.
I know i was so upset when i saw that girl walked back to the visitation area. we called an hour ago but the deputy warden didn’t pick up so we left a voicemail. My boyfriend called me this morning so i guess our phone calls aren’t suspended but he told me that they didn’t even let him know what happened he just saw our car was gone so he figured we left.
Old 06-17-2019, 12:31 PM
Site Moderator

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 21,967 Times in 7,794 Posts

If the suspension applies beyond the one day, you should have the right to appeal it. I would NOT mention the other visitor as part of your defense. Not because it didn't happen, but because it won't help you. Just stick to what happened and why and ask to have visits reinstated now that you are fully aware of the procedures.

I'm so sorry this happened. I hate visiting a new facility because you never know what's going to blindside you. Hang in there, I have a feeling this will all blow over.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
Sarianna (06-24-2019), sidewalker (06-18-2019)
Old 06-18-2019, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarianna View Post
While it's perfectly fine to use private messages for advice too.....please don't forget that there are probably a lot of people reading these boards and posting public information might help someone else in a similar situation
I agree. And in most situations that would be very true. It was just in this case it was a little too complicated to deal with in the forum.
Old 06-18-2019, 07:54 AM

Donation Award 

Also, I'd call early in the morning. (dont call between like 11-1) or too close to the end of the work day. I am pretty sure they come in early so they leave early too.

I sure hope you didnt get your visits suspended for the future and it was just that one time.

That's my dog's nose art

Old 06-18-2019, 01:04 PM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 5,955 Times in 2,248 Posts

Rule of thumb with visiting.....when in doubt, don’t bring anything except an ID and a key. Most COs I have encountered would have explained the policy to you and allowed you to walk the phone back to your car, especially given it was a first visit. But there’s always that one stickler that kills it for everyone else.

Sorry this happened. Hopefully you can go back soon.

"I'm a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it."
-Thomas Jefferson
The Following User Says Thank You to missingdee For This Useful Post:
MizzyMuffling (06-19-2019)
Old 06-18-2019, 06:03 PM
Crazy Cajun Super Moderator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member PTO Super Moderator 

Donation Award 

Thanked 18,840 Times in 7,312 Posts

That just goes to show you that there is no consistency when it comes to facilities and what they can do.

I remember one time I went to visit and totally forgot to take my cell phone off my hip. Now, keep in mind, I was patted down when I went in. Halfway down the walk, I realized I had the phone and panicked my ass off in a calm sort of way. I told the officer that was leading us what I had done. I figured I was toast, but I figured it was better to tell before I got into the visiting room.

Amazingly enough, they let me take it back to the car and then go in and visit.

The Following User Says Thank You to LifeTraveler For This Useful Post:
Sarianna (06-24-2019)
Old 06-18-2019, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewalker View Post
Also, I'd call early in the morning. (dont call between like 11-1) or too close to the end of the work day. I am pretty sure they come in early so they leave early too.

I sure hope you didnt get your visits suspended for the future and it was just that one time.
We called early morning yesterday. Finally we got a call back this afternoon. I spoke with the lieutenant and he told me to not make any visit this weekend and wait till Monday to talk to the deputy warden (she’s on vacation and won’t be back till Monday) so I’m just gonna be patient and wait till then. Also my boyfriend talked to his dad yesterday and told him that he has to go cuz they’re closing the yard. Then today we’re all waiting for a call but so far no call and it’s already 5:18 pm. Could they be on lockdown?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ghidalgo9 For This Useful Post:
Sarianna (06-24-2019), sidewalker (06-19-2019)
Old 06-19-2019, 06:16 AM

Donation Award 

It sounds like its possible (lockdown)

It happens sometimes.

Well I sure hope they DO call you back and tell you it was just that one time, so that possibly the following weekend you can visit.

That's my dog's nose art