Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > CONNECTICUT > Connecticut Prison & Jail Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Connecticut Prison & Jail Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail Topics / Information relating to the Connecticut Department of Corrections and local & county Jail visitation, phone calls, mail, inmate care packages, etc.

Old 04-14-2019, 01:18 PM

Default "Courtesy" visit to York CI?

Hi all,

It doesn't appear this particular sub-forum gets much traffic, but hopefully someone will see this and can help..

My wife was recently sentenced to York CI in Niantic. From what I've been able to gather from her so far, she is currently in some sort of medical holding unit for 7 days before she gets placed into general population. She's only allowed 5 minute phone calls, so it's hard for me to get any information, and from what she's told me it's almost impossible for her to get any information.

Based on what she's been told and the very little detail that's in the Family Handbook, it takes about 30 days for her visitor list to be approved. In the meantime she's allowed 2 non-contact courtesy visits by an immediate family member. Do I just show up at some point during the facilities posted visiting hours, or do I need to prearrange the visit? If so how? It's a fairly long drive and I have to arrange someone to watch the kids, so I don't want to show up only to be turned away.

I've tried on multiple occasions to call the prison. If I stay on the line after the message to get transferred to an operator, it just keeps ringing and nobody answers. If I press the number to get transferred to the "Visitation Clerk", I get a message that nobody is available and to call back later. I've called during the week, on the weekend, during business hours, in the morning, in the evening, always the same thing. It's really getting frustrating.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old 04-14-2019, 02:05 PM
PTO Administrator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 35,072 Times in 16,180 Posts

Hello & welcome to PTO I hope your wife's journey is a safe & speedy one.

I've checked Ct DOC Directives & Policies, found the following:

Quote:
6.Non-Routine Visits.

a.Courtesy Visit.

i.A courtesy visitor shall be authorized for a onetime visit within the first fourteen (14)calendar days from the date the inmate enters the custody of the Department of Correction.ii.Up to two (2) adult visitors from the inmate's immediate family may be allowed a courtesy visit with the inmate prior to the approval of the visitor application.iii.Once the identified time period for courtesy visits expires, then the inmate shall have all visitors submit to the visiting procedures outlined in this directive.
See Page 5 - and book mark it or download for future reference: https://portal.ct.gov/-/media/DOC/Pd...1006.pdf?la=en

Best guess is that you'll need write the Warden and request a courtesy visit....seems like they could give folks longer than 2 weeks for corresponding Process might go faster if CT DOC has a list of contact numbers / email addresses. I'll keep looking....

EDIT: These may help:

Quote:
You may have more questions, with which you can contact the Public Information Office at 860-692-7780 or the correctional facility where your loved one is housed. Facility telephone numbers are available through the Facilities link on the left. Or you may e-mail DOC PIO and we will direct your question to the appropriate staff for a prompt response.

https://portal.ct.gov/DOC/Miscellane...r-My-Questions

Its up to the Warden to approve a "courtesy" visit:

Quote:
Because this process [visitation approval] can take two to three weeks, wardens have the discretion to permit a courtesy visit,
https://portal.ct.gov/DOC/Common-Ele...ions-FAQ#visit

I hope you can get permission from the Warden to visit your wife before the 14 days is up...

patchouli, PTO Admin

Last edited by patchouli; 04-14-2019 at 02:31 PM..
Old 04-14-2019, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patchouli View Post
Hello & welcome to PTO I hope your wife's journey is a safe & speedy one.

I've checked Ct DOC Directives & Policies, found the following:

See Page 5 - and book mark it or download for future reference:

Best guess is that you'll need write the Warden and request a courtesy visit....seems like they could give folks longer than 2 weeks for corresponding Process might go faster if CT DOC has a list of contact numbers / email addresses. I'll keep looking....
Hi patchouli,

Thanks for your response! I'll keep that document on file, as it does address some other questions I had as well.

My wife is concerned about me being able to visit after the 14 days is up- the same counselor said I would not be allowed to visit without special approval from the warden because I was arrested 10 years ago on a DUI charge. I thought this was odd because I was never convicted (first and only offense, got accelerated rehab and the case was nolle'd). I've already sent a letter to the warden, but this document specifically states "A current or ex-offender who has been convicted of a crime shall be precluded from routine placement on an inmate's visiting list," so hopefully I'm good.

If you do find any direct numbers or emails, please do let me know. Otherwise, if I can't get ahold of anyone I'll just have to show up and hope for the best..

EDIT: I responded after your original reply and went to another tab to do some searching.. I found the email for the Public Information Office and sent an email to them.. Then I noticed that my reply to you failed because I haven't been a user long enough to post a link so had to remove the link from your quoted reply Thank you for the update. With any luck the PIO will respond in time with some useful info.

Last edited by ken408; 04-14-2019 at 02:46 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to ken408 For This Useful Post:
patchouli (04-14-2019)
Old 04-14-2019, 07:52 PM
PTO Administrator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 35,072 Times in 16,180 Posts

One of the links I posted, the Directives & Policies I think, did state that after the 14 days, you'd have to wait until her visitation list is approved. If your letter to the Warden is post marked before the 14 days are up, hopefully they'll be compassionate enough to go ahead and let you visit.

I would not show up without the Warden's approval...they will not let you in. And do not ever be the least bit argumentative or even sarcastic....they can suspend visits altogether for awhile. Their House, Their Rules. Period.

patchouli, PTO Admin