Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > MEDICAL & HEALTH > Mental Health
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Mental Health Pleae use this forum for all mental health related issues dealing with the prison system.

Old 10-11-2017, 09:57 AM

Default Motive for Las Vegas tragedy - there isn't one

I've been following the news reports on the Las Vegas tragedy and one aspect in particular struck a chord. The search for a motive.

From my own experience with an NGRI candidate, there isn't one. At least not one that makes any sense in this universe. I've spent so many sleepless nights struggling to find such an explanation in my own situation, but honestly, you just have to accept the fact that there isn't one. Sometimes, when possible, hearing the supposed motive is far more disturbing than the act itself. That was the case for us.

Just accept it for what it is - completely insane.
The Following User Says Thank You to Babyx For This Useful Post:
Bee143 (10-12-2017)
Sponsored Links
Old 10-11-2017, 10:53 AM

Thanked 1,468 Times in 553 Posts

There was a motive. We just don’t know what it was and may never know. If if we do find out I do think you are right that we will never understand it.
Old 10-11-2017, 01:15 PM
Ex-Prisoner & ACLU Intern
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,972 Times in 791 Posts

What's odd about this case is that he doesn't fit the typical profile for someone with a mental disorder that lends itself to violence.

Most cases of schizophrenia, at least, involve young men, in their teens or twenties. As was the case with the Columbine kids, Seung-Hui Cho (Virginia Tech), James Holmes (Aurora/"Batman movie"), Adam Lanza (Newtown/Sandy Hook), etc...

But on the other hand, everyone who knew him (including his brother and live-in girlfriend) testified that he wasn't very political nor religious. By all accounts, he was a 64-year-old wealthy white guy who liked to gamble and listen to country music... yet he opened fire on a country music festival. None of it makes sense.

There seem to be plenty of conspiracy theories flying about... everything from "CIA mind control" to "convert to radical Islam" -- but the only one I kind of buy into is the fact that he was apparently taking diazepam (Valium) -- a powerful benzo drug that has been linked to fits of rage and violence in some people. Perhaps that drug's influence on his brain chemistry caused him to ruminate and fixate on violence, and he really did have no ideological motive? He just felt the "urge" to mass kill due to a nasty side-effect of taking the psychotropic drug?

Most fascinating is that he apparently left behind no suicide note. No manifesto. No social media posts. Nothing. He was a very private person, kept everything bottled up, and just seemed to up and want to go out in a "blaze of glory" without anyone ever knowing why.

And most of his guns, it sounds like, he bought within the past few months leading up to the massacre. So his deterioration of mental condition may have only been recent.
Old 10-11-2017, 02:08 PM
attorney

Thanked 19,459 Times in 7,025 Posts

Nickel - the guy strikes me more like the postal employees who did mass shootings in the 80-90's etc. more like workplace shootings, though I believe the McDonald's shooter was also over 40. Not exactly 64, but still, most of those shooters were not obviously mentally ill, probably had some sort of personality disorder, and had some sort of extreme violence and rage that led to the shootings. They were mostly disenfranchised, had volitle relationships with the few people in their lives, and felt somehow wronged by society at large.

There is precedence for this, it's just been eclipsed by school shootings and young man shootings where the body counts have been largely much more extreme.

In my mind, you can divide them into two categories - the young, and the older. The ones motivated by more overt mental illness, and the ones motivated by a more covert mental illness.

Oh, and you can make an easier parallel age wise with the guy who shot up the Jewish Center in Kansas. That guy was what? 70?
The Following User Says Thank You to yourself For This Useful Post:
Nickel Timer (10-11-2017)