Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > BREAK TIME > Dieting & Health
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: The Best Diet
Low Calorie/ Low Fat 75 19.58%
Low Carb/ High Protein 98 25.59%
Jenny Craig ( or other pre- packaged diets) 4 1.04%
Liquid Diet (Medifast/ Slimfast) 17 4.44%
Weight Watchers 83 21.67%
Other 106 27.68%
Voters: 383. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-19-2006, 10:20 PM

Default Which Diet You Think is the BEST?

I have seen many diets come and go, but I want to know what you all think is best. I have tried several diets and counting calories has worked the best for me. Now, I don't really have to count the calories anymore; it's pretty much mental to me.

Be sure to vote on the poll, I'm curious.

The Following User Says Thank You to WaitN4Him For This Useful Post:
*Chuck's Girl* (03-02-2011)
Sponsored Links
Old 01-19-2006, 10:25 PM
PTO Member

I was the biggest "Loser" on weight watchers. I thought it was pretty easy to track once I got going and I could eat what I liked.
Old 01-19-2006, 10:28 PM

Waitn~ I didn't vote b/c I have yet to lose significant amount of weight doing anything....lol
So I dunno, but as soon as the votes are tallied I 'd love to find out.
Too much junk in this trunk!!!!
Old 01-19-2006, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no more scary
Waitn~ I didn't vote b/c I have yet to lose significant amount of weight doing anything....lol
So I dunno, but as soon as the votes are tallied I 'd love to find out.
Too much junk in this trunk!!!!
lol me too

Old 01-19-2006, 10:51 PM

i am doin the "no diet diet" i just eat what i want when hungry but only when hungry and just enough to feel full. i had to stop "emotional eating"
BUT WHEN I LOOK IN YOUR EYES,
I AM IN FEAR OF HOW MUCH I LOVE YOU"
The Following User Says Thank You to lost_princess For This Useful Post:
marksbuddy (09-09-2010)
Old 01-19-2006, 10:55 PM
waiting patiently

Thumbs up

i do 1,200 calories diet but i eat weight watchers usually 3times a day i love there food it is so good but kinda expensive but in the end it would be worth it i hope!!!!!!1

I love my bad boy!
Old 01-19-2006, 11:00 PM
Boss

When you cut out sugar and flour (i.e. carbs) in your diet, your calorie intake goes way down. I go for the high protein/low carbs.
Old 01-19-2006, 11:15 PM
michael's gurl

i agree, no sugar and no carbs is the best!
Old 01-19-2006, 11:17 PM
Yes I'm back! :)
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,189 Times in 497 Posts

I followed a low protein,high carb diet from Kaiser called "Healthy Ways" and lost 40 pounds in about 6 months.It worked really well for me!

I need to do it again and soon!!!

Get well soon David! You are in our thoughts
Old 01-20-2006, 05:31 PM
Closed

A friend of mine had to cut out wheat, gluten and dairy from his diet and lost over 3st (42lb) in 6 months, so I have started doing the same.
I just lost 58lb doing a liquid diet and just wanted to have a little boost to it.
Old 01-21-2006, 12:00 AM

WOW I'm surprised by all the different diets.

Healthy Ways???? Can you give more info. I'm not a protein person, I love my cars. That's why calorie counting has worked so well for me....

GOOD LUCK DIETER'S!!!!!

Old 01-22-2006, 04:17 PM
waiting for him

I think the best hint I can give for many of these diets ( and all work, for some, to a certain degree because they are structured) is portion control...oh, and keep a diary, writing down what you eat helps too. My body is sensitive to refined sugar( carbs) so I do best with low carbs...but I have seen good results on the others also. What works for some won't work for others and vice versa. Good luck everyone!!! I am still trying to get off this holiday weight!!!!! Grrrrrrr.
Old 01-22-2006, 05:22 PM

I agree, portion control is a big deal no matter what diet it is. I knew a girl who would by fat free, but wold the whole box. Ummm not good. She was better off getting the real stuff and eating a few.

Old 01-22-2006, 06:56 PM
Donation Award 

Even though I love WW, I am not really promoting their plan. The best thing I learned from them is portion control and how to make better or should I say healthier eating choices. I have had the successes I have had through a plan of eating a variety low calorie, low fat and low carb foods plus lots of exercise.
Old 01-22-2006, 07:24 PM
He COMPLETES Me!

For me it is Weight Watchers and it is NOT expensive and you DON'T have to buy any food from them. You count your points and you get a variety of foods. ~~~Brandi
Old 02-01-2006, 10:51 PM
Patiently Waiting
Donation Award 

I think I have tried every diet ever invented. TRUST ME!! The diet where you only eat grapes, the grapefruit diet, the pritikin diet (okay I went WAY back on that one...LOL), the beverly hills diet, atkins, south beach, the Zone, suddenly slim, slimfast, WW, jenny craig (total B.S., expensive and the food is GROSS). I always lose but the diet sucks and I gain it all back.

Right now I'm doing the low carb. It's easy, it's not so restrictive...it just works.

Good Luck!!!
Old 02-10-2006, 06:55 PM

Weight Watchers was the easiest diet I ever did. I have done many! I lost 38 pounds and have kept them off. I did the point system and I copied menus and ponts of all the fast food places and kept a copy in my car. I treated myself to a McDonalds ice cream cone at least 3 times a week. They only have 3 points!! LOL It really was easy!

Life is great again!!!
Old 02-12-2006, 06:03 PM

I think the healthiest way to loose weight is to first understand that you need a lifestyle change, not a "DIET". When you are dieting, it implies you need to a eat a certain why only while on it and once you've lost your unwanted weight or met your goal, you can go back to eating those things you have been missing. That will only cause the yo-yo up and down weight. I will never "DIET" again. I'm learning how to eat balanced and am saying goodbye to foods that leave me sleepy and sluggish. I am not suggesting to only eat lettuce and tomatos for the rest of your life. I am however suggesting you begin to understand what you're putting into your body and how it affects you.

Did you know it takes 7 to 10 days for red meat to digest through your body? Sometimes longer. Did you know sugar makes you hungry?

Did you know what you are eating is more important than all of the exercise you might incorporate in your plan? You are wasting time in the gym if you're gonna continue to eat unhealthy, greasy foods.

Water is another major part of weight lose. How much water are you drinking?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wtg2SmileAgain For This Useful Post:
BadGrlGoneGood (01-26-2012), hoolio's mom (05-24-2008), ricksbabe (07-06-2010)
Old 03-16-2006, 10:09 AM
Sweet Tator

I agree with drinking a bunch of water. We need water for our body to do its work. My diet is: Move more and eat less. Also I cut out greasy french fries and bake them now. I have lost 23 lbs slowly but its coming off. It is true you can lose weight by eliminating one fattening food from your diet. I wish I had learned this earlier. But at least its working now.
hoolio's mom (05-24-2008)
Old 03-16-2006, 10:57 AM

Default WWJD Diet

Hi Everyone

I just now, (during Lent), realized that the only diet that really works is the WWJD diet.

If everyone would eat for the sole (soul) purpose of eating, we would not have the useless extra pounds to lug around.
  1. Eat only when you know you need food for nourishment
  2. If it is not a special occasion, don't indulge.
  3. When tempted, just ask, 'What Would Jesus Do?'
It's very simple and it is the best form of weight loss and maintenance that I have ever tried.

Last edited by mommyelf; 03-16-2006 at 10:59 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to mommyelf For This Useful Post:
Maushel (06-28-2013)
Old 03-18-2006, 06:36 AM
~Always
Donation Award 

I definitely know and believe putting a cap on how many calories you are consuming will result in weight loss.
Old 03-29-2006, 12:32 PM
2008 Club Member #4

The only thing that has ever worked for me is Weight Watchers. As someone else said, it's not expensive and you DON"T have to buy their food. Like Nuron said, the best thing is PORTION CONTROL and balance. Any lifestyle that includes those two things plus exercise is going to work.
Old 03-29-2006, 01:19 PM
Closed

The south beach diet worked for me. But I had stopped cause I got pregnant after Phil came home. Now after the baby, I tried the diet again and I just didn't have enough motivation to stick to it (plus Phil is a bad influence on me). But now here is what I do and it is working for me...it's a mixture of things....During the day I eat only a salad and drink 2 slimfast. I will have a slimfast for breakfast then a salad for lunch. Maybe some fruit and another slimfast for a mid afternoon snack. (I work late) But then I eat whatever at dinner. I will watch for carbs, maybe not eat the whole thing of fries or try to substitute it. But I definetly watch my portions. Then I exercise at night. Which I think is the key to any successful diet. I cut out most sugars...except for what's in the slimfast and fruit. But if I want something sweet I get sugar free jello, pudding or ice cream. I have been doing this for 6 weeks now and have dropped 5lbs only but my inches are crazy. I won't lie I was in a size 13/14 jeans and bought a size 10 this weekend and they are still too big. So i guess this is better for those looking to not lose so much weight but to lose the inches.
Old 05-12-2006, 07:42 PM
My husband ROCKS!

I am a chronic dieter and have been for years. About 2 years ago I learned about the South Beach diet. I took the base idea of South Beach and altered it to fit my weight loss goals. The longer I was on it, the more adjustments I made. I currently eat low surgar (natural and not) and low carb. I pay close attention to my carb and sugar intake. I lost 100 lbs in 1 year and have kept it off for 1 year. It isn't just dieting, it is a life style change. PM me if you have any questions about the South Beach diet, I live by it.

Old 05-25-2006, 11:07 AM
Come on already!

I think you should write down what you eat, count the calories of a normal, pre-diet day. Then cut that by 500 calories a day, that'll loose you 1 lb. a week. Plus add some excercises in, starting at a walk for 20-30 minutes a day, then up it to definitely 30 minutes, and increase speed. I got down to 1000 calories a day, but that is what suffices me. Everything is different for different people. Here are some simple tips though that can be done daily.
Buy low fat and no fat products.
Drink lots of water, and skim milk, and green tea (If your tired of plain old water, mix in a packet of sweet and low and squeeze in some lemon, yummy)
Eat mustard instead of mayo, or use light miracle whip on burgers and sanwhiches
No white at night (after about 2 pm, do not eat anything white, i.e. bread, rice, potatoes, starchy foods like pastas)
Snack on fruits, especially melons and grapes, they are 90% water
Park far away from buildings, i.e. last row at Wal-mart and walk (it'll save gas too!! You don't have to drive around looking for spaces!!)
Skip the cheese, or use very little low fat cheese
You have to eat some fats, unsaturated fats, check the nutrition labels
Eat breakfast, that is what starts your metabolism, and starts burning them calories
Do reps on machines at the gym, or do your own reps at home, leg lifts, crunches, squats, the lean muscle it will build burns calories while your doing nothing at all.
Last but not least, allow yourself two days without working out (it gets monotonous) but stay upbeat, clean your house on those days, go outside and play with the dog or kids, something relaxing and yet will give you some energy, & allow yourself one day a week, to eat what you'd like to eat, a big juicy cheeseburger with fries for lunch, or a bowl of pasta for supper, you need it so that your body does not get too used to the 1000 or 1200 calories a day, and when you go back the next day, your body will process your lower calories better.

Last edited by LanaJo; 05-25-2006 at 11:09 AM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LanaJo For This Useful Post:
Amanda_UWW (03-26-2012), hoolio's mom (05-24-2008)