Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > LOUISIANA > Louisiana Prison & Jail Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Louisiana Prison & Jail Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail Topics / Information relating to the Louisiana Department of Corrections and local / county Jail visitation, phone calls, mail, inmate care packages, etc.

Old 04-24-2014, 03:35 PM

Default Is there a page limit on receiving mail?

Does anyone know if there is a page limit on receiving mail? I've been holding off mailing him anything important until he was transferred back there. Shockingly, I have 59 pages front and back. I wanted to send it in one manilla envelope. I tried to call the mail room and never got anyone to answer the phone. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-24-2014, 09:38 PM
o.O

It all depends on the facility and only way to know is to get in touch with the mail room.

I have hard so many people say how you can only send so few amounts of pictures at one time, but I done sent about 120 pictures at one time and they all went through. So I can assume regular paper would be the same.
The Following User Says Thank You to ChrisPp For This Useful Post:
tasha005 (04-24-2014)
Old 04-24-2014, 09:50 PM

Yeah, this facility is crazy. I sent 5 pics included on a typed page to see if it would go through. It was returned as though he is only able to receive 5 pictures, they must be printed on photo paper. I just was curious if they would accept it. I'm going to try to call first thing in the morning. Thanks for the response.
Old 04-25-2014, 03:23 PM

It took me forever, but I finally reached the mailroom for Madison. There isn't any limit on the amount of pages that can be sent, I can use a manila envelope as long as the clasp is removed. I cannot mail or order anything for him. I cannot believe books are not even allowed via Amazon. Jeez, I realize that he is in prison, but why can't he get a book to read.
Old 05-01-2014, 06:19 AM
o.O

Yeah, I read it enough times that facility is horrible with everything.

My girl is in the female facility in Madison and I've never had any problems including sending her books. I've even sent her pictures printed on regular letter paper because it was something not worth printing on photo paper. Everything is day and night between the two in the same Parish.
Old 05-01-2014, 11:01 AM

Its crazy, you would think that they would be allowed the same things. I hate calling the mail room, but I have to as they keep changing their stories. I had a letter returned due to inappropriate pictures. It was one picture sent from the beach. No nudity, it was just if the dog in the water. I do not understand them. I had printed the picture on photo paper. Ugh.
Old 05-02-2014, 12:29 AM

I am thankful my loved one is now free from the "prison for profit' system in madison parish. I was told that a whole bunch of new rules went into effect. Inmates are no longer allowed to order stuff from Walkenhorst which is where they could order a very limited number of items such as shampoo/conditioner, bath supplies, shirts, underwear, etc. Orders of books from Amazon were also outlawed.

the women were told that it was costing about 1.40 per day to feed each woman and that was entirely TOO MUCH so there would be cuts there. Before that they would only get fresh fruit or fresh veggies maybe once a month (half an orange or i/4 cup of shredded lettuce) so i can't imagine how it could get much worse but i know it will.

Basically, the prisons want to ensure that they make a maximum profit so inmates will only have to the option to buy stuff from the prison commissary (at a very highly marked up price) or do without.Their prisons are all about the profit and nothing else.

Prisons for profit, seriously, what a concept. Most states are trying to reduce their prison population. Louisiana on the other hand is 'guaranteeing' that the people who own and run the "prisons for profit' will have an occupancy of 85-95%. Is it any wonder that Louisiana has a greater percentage of people in prison than any other place in the WORLD?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KarmaRocks For This Useful Post:
Geauxin'KraZee (05-25-2014), LifeTraveler (05-04-2014)
Old 05-02-2014, 05:53 AM
o.O

You are correct about the food situation, they did major cut backs on what they served, and what they do serve is worse than what it used to be. It sounds like a joke but you are actually correct about the half an orange thing.

I never heard anything about cutting Amazon off yet but they Yeah, they did increase the prices of commissary. They are 'expanding' what things you can order through it. Plus all the guards they fired at the beginning of the year were never replaced, so they are still short staffed.

But she just needs to hold on to all of this for one more year because she will be eligible for work release and get transferred out for that.
Old 05-02-2014, 11:59 AM

Every guy at Madison Parish will tell you that they don't feed them there. You will see your LO there and be like "man you lost weight". And it's because of that. Heard more than onw guy mention it so its true. As for the sending books and things situation I have e-mailed DOC back when they were accepting e-mails and they stated that they could not mandate a facility to allow things which I think is bull. I even sent letters multiple times to the warden and DOC suggesting they allow it and why it would benefit inmates, but I just wasted my time. Tasha, maybe you should call and speak with the warden about this? Thats probably the only thing I never did

Old 05-02-2014, 08:14 PM

Jessica and Chris, thanks for your replies. Yeah, I have been told numerous times that I can only mail letters & pictures to him. If I want him to have something, I must send him a money order. I don't want to step on any shoes right now as the warden from Sabine is willing to transfer for him... Just waiting to see what this warden says. Ugh. I want him in DOC so bad as he has until March 2019 to do.
Yeah, I've been told about the food situation as well as other stuff. It's not right. Don't even get me started on how often they get to go outside. He doesn't want my sending him any money as he understands my financial situation at the moment. I did send a money order for stamps a while back and he got upset.

Jessica, you mentioned emailing and they couldn't do anything, who was it that you emailed. I'm sorry, I'm in Texas about 15 hrs away from there.
Thanks again,
Tasha
Old 05-02-2014, 08:48 PM

DOC website USE to have a working e-mail link. The last time I tried to send a message for whatever reason it would not go through so maybe they turned off the feature IDK. It was just a general person who e-mail me back. I even tried calling adult services. No answer. Left messages. No reply back. You need to get a lawyer to get him to DOC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tasha005 View Post
Jessica and Chris, thanks for your replies. Yeah, I have been told numerous times that I can only mail letters & pictures to him. If I want him to have something, I must send him a money order. I don't want to step on any shoes right now as the warden from Sabine is willing to transfer for him... Just waiting to see what this warden says. Ugh. I want him in DOC so bad as he has until March 2019 to do.
Yeah, I've been told about the food situation as well as other stuff. It's not right. Don't even get me started on how often they get to go outside. He doesn't want my sending him any money as he understands my financial situation at the moment. I did send a money order for stamps a while back and he got upset.

Jessica, you mentioned emailing and they couldn't do anything, who was it that you emailed. I'm sorry, I'm in Texas about 15 hrs away from there.
Thanks again,
Tasha

Old 05-02-2014, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessicaL0421
DOC website USE to have a working e-mail link. The last time I tried to send a message for whatever reason it would not go through so maybe they turned off the feature IDK. It was just a general person who e-mail me back. I even tried calling adult services. No answer. Left messages. No reply back. You need to get a lawyer to get him to DOC.
Thanks for the info, he was in DOC from 2000 to 2011 until they shipped him there. I can't afford a lawyer at the moment. I was laid off in Dec and I'm still trying to find a decent job.
Old 05-06-2014, 10:21 PM

Tasha, you were actually fortunate that they mailed anything back to you. When i mailed my sis stuff at Madison Parish, they would just throw it away and never tell me or her that it had been tossed out.

I sent her a few small Lisa Frank coloring sheets and they were thrown away.
I sent her pages from a puzzle book which were thrown away.
I sent her article from Readers Digest which were thrown away.

These were all "forbidden" things. I called the mailroom and was talked to as if I were stupid for not being able to see just how dangerous such items were. The coloring sheets were "forbidden" because it might encourage a girl to draw. Then she might draw on her clothes or make a card for somebody and Madison Parish just could not take such a risk so coloring sheets and drawing were outlawed.

I'm not sure in the danger of me sending pages from a puzzle book, but be assured my cousin never got ANY of the hundreds of pages that I attempted to send her. (I would tell her in the letter or on the phone what I sent and she would tell me she never got it)

Not once did I ever have anything returned, nor was i ever given any written rules or guidelines about what was acceptable. I asked the mailroom if I could get a copy of the "rules" but was told NO. i would have to get my inmate to go find a copy and then make a copy to send to me. Well my inmate did NOT have a copy, had never been given a copy and didn't even know is a copy of such rules existed.

Honestly Madison Parish just makes up rules as they go along. You can call 3 different times and ask the exact same question and get 3 different answers. Then if you do as they told you to, another CO there is likely to get mad because they say it is another way.

Inmates and their loved ones are simply supposed to be psychic and be able to instantly know what the prison or the CO is thinking at that moment or how that CO wants things done.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KarmaRocks For This Useful Post:
Geauxin'KraZee (05-25-2014), LifeTraveler (05-06-2014)
Old 05-07-2014, 03:03 PM

Right, even on the males side it was that way as well. I would sent printed out webpages and they would throw them away and DOC facilites WOULD in fact accept that. Even cut out paragraphs from the computer paper and either paste or tape them to regular loose leaf and same thing would happen. Hopefully with LaSalle taking over it may be different. Even visiting procedures have changed there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GingerKittieKat View Post
Tasha, you were actually fortunate that they mailed anything back to you. When i mailed my sis stuff at Madison Parish, they would just throw it away and never tell me or her that it had been tossed out.

I sent her a few small Lisa Frank coloring sheets and they were thrown away.
I sent her pages from a puzzle book which were thrown away.
I sent her article from Readers Digest which were thrown away.

These were all "forbidden" things. I called the mailroom and was talked to as if I were stupid for not being able to see just how dangerous such items were. The coloring sheets were "forbidden" because it might encourage a girl to draw. Then she might draw on her clothes or make a card for somebody and Madison Parish just could not take such a risk so coloring sheets and drawing were outlawed.

I'm not sure in the danger of me sending pages from a puzzle book, but be assured my cousin never got ANY of the hundreds of pages that I attempted to send her. (I would tell her in the letter or on the phone what I sent and she would tell me she never got it)

Not once did I ever have anything returned, nor was i ever given any written rules or guidelines about what was acceptable. I asked the mailroom if I could get a copy of the "rules" but was told NO. i would have to get my inmate to go find a copy and then make a copy to send to me. Well my inmate did NOT have a copy, had never been given a copy and didn't even know is a copy of such rules existed.

Honestly Madison Parish just makes up rules as they go along. You can call 3 different times and ask the exact same question and get 3 different answers. Then if you do as they told you to, another CO there is likely to get mad because they say it is another way.

Inmates and their loved ones are simply supposed to be psychic and be able to instantly know what the prison or the CO is thinking at that moment or how that CO wants things done.

Old 05-10-2014, 11:37 PM

I so hate that place, I was talking to him the other day and he's so bored. He was just moved to the trustee dorm. I feel so bad for him. Yeah, I'm fortunate that I get the stuff back at least. I wish I could send him a newspaper or something. I love writing him, but I run out of things to write about. He writes me 3 times a week as well, but lately its getting repetitive. I know that everyone in the mailroom has a different answer. I want to put on the envelopes so and so said this was OK, but I won't.
What, coloring book pages are contraband, yet they sell cigarettes? What is LaSalle?
Old 05-11-2014, 12:28 PM

Well me and BF wrote each other from the day he went in to the day he got out and we would just talk about any and everything as if he was here and we would call me one or twice a week. We got up close and personal, from talking about our past to what we want in the future, future plans, random things. Anything fun and entertaining we would just talk about it all. And thats good he got moved to the trustee dorm thats like almost near being free lol

Old 05-11-2014, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessicaL0421
Well me and BF wrote each other from the day he went in to the day he got out and we would just talk about any and everything as if he was here and we would call me one or twice a week. We got up close and personal, from talking about our past to what we want in the future, future plans, random things. Anything fun and entertaining we would just talk about it all. And thats good he got moved to the trustee dorm thats like almost near being free lol
Yeah, we write daily. I just feel like sometimes its redundant. We have letters that we let the next person continue and such. I write as if he is sitting beside me. We also talk when we can.

I wish he was almost free, believe me. He had until March 2019, then 13.5 years parole. Ugh.
Old 05-24-2014, 11:56 AM
o.O

Quote:
Originally Posted by GingerKittieKat View Post

Yup, cause it's such a bad thing for them to show off their art work. Some of the things that they do are so freaking awesome!

http://i.imgur.com/cIDpCBk.jpg

This is just one thing I've received.
The Following User Says Thank You to ChrisPp For This Useful Post:
JessicaL0421 (05-27-2014)