Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > AROUND THE WORLD > Australia / New Zealand Prison & Criminal Justice Topics > Australia/NZ Parole, Probation & Release Forum
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Australia/NZ Parole, Probation & Release Forum Use this forum for topics concerning parole, probation and release in relation to Aus/NZ prisons.

Old 01-25-2014, 11:26 PM

Question What's the chances of him making parole?

Hi my partner is currently in gatton prison Qld Australia ... He has done 4 years already .. 6 months ago he went for parole and was rejected they told him to apply again in 6 months which is NOW which he is doing ... He has 2 years left til he full time which he is thinking of doing but I want him home with the kids and me ... What's his chances of getting parole when he only has 2 years til full time ?? I need some kind o peace of mind
The Following User Says Thank You to Cupcakes2013 For This Useful Post:
cazzz (05-07-2015)
Sponsored Links
Old 01-26-2014, 03:13 AM
Crazy Cajun Super Moderator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member PTO Super Moderator 

Donation Award 

Thanked 18,992 Times in 7,363 Posts

Hello and Welcome to PTO! I'm sorry that I don't have any answers for you, but I have moved your post here to the Australia forums where you may get more answers.

Old 01-27-2014, 02:22 AM
Donation Award 

Welcome to PTO.
Parole is a hard one to guess. There are so many factors... Lets start with what the Parole Board want to see.... remorse for the crime, understanding of the crime, its consequences, how it came about etc, change in the person, confidence that the person will not be committing crime of any sort in the future, Support the person has in the community (from famly, friends, potential employer, support groups etc) What courses the person has done. And a whole lot more.

So... What can your partner do to convince the Board?... has he done any courses in prison, can he give them letters of support from people that have witnessed changes or can offer ongoing support if he is released? Can he articulate the crime and what led to it and how he can use that knowledge to convince them he is of no danger to society?

Yes, it is a big ask, but thinking about this from the Board's perspective can greatly enhance your chances.

My mate says hes not worried about the board, that he will serve out all his time.. (and probably will, but we wont go into that here) but a lot of it is around not wanting to get hopes up. It is a big thing for an inmate to go to the board and to be turned down, a 6 month knock is not so bad, but at the time can seem like a huge knockback. Every Board is a huge emotional outlay and very hard on both of you. Use the time to get the strategy sorted, find anything and everything that will help. It is unlikely he will have to serve the full term, but I know that you will want him home asap.

Please let me know what is happening with you

Kia Kaha (keep strong)

Last edited by number8; 01-27-2014 at 02:26 AM..